Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: HP LJ2300D and Unix PPD
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers HP LJ2300D and Unix PPD Post 40469 by Minor_Threat on Tuesday 16th of September 2003 10:27:39 AM
Old 09-16-2003
Question HP LJ2300D and Unix PPD

Smilie Greetings,

I have a specific question about PPD's under UNIX. I want to run a HP Laserjet 2300D in a standard unix envirnoment. Problem is, i have had a look around the web, but i cant really find a proper PPD. Is it possible to use MAC PPD's? or Solaris? If so, how do i do that?
I am aware that a PPD is really just a Printer Description, i guess thats why it is so important that i get a PPD which has the features for my printer.
Does anyone have a Link or a really good idea about how to exactly do this?
Thank you very much for helping a unix newbie.

Regards

Minor Smilie

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX problem? Unix programm runs windows 2000 CPU over 100%

Okee problems...!! What is happening: Unix server with some programms, workstations are windows 2000, the workstations work good but when you start a programm on the Unix server the CPU of the workstations go to 100% usage resulting that the system gets very slow. The programm well its running so... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zerocool
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

missing Path(in UNIX) when i launch a job on to unix machine using windows SSh

hi i want run an unix application from a windows program/application.i am using SSH(command line version)to log on to a unix machine from windows. the application has to read a configuration file inorder to run. the configuration file .CFG is in bin in my home directory. but the application... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: megastar
1 Replies

3. Linux

mapping of a printer model with a ppd file in CUPS

Hi all, I am currently working on building a GUI to be interfaced with CUPS 1.3.4 package; In my GUI I have a list of printer manufacturers mapped With various printer models ; and for a particular printer model selected I needed to know how to map that model with an Appropriate ppd file; as I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sc3008
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Making a ppd driver for Minolta 3100 on CUPS/Ubuntu

Hello I have a Minolta QMS Magicolor 3100 printer. A driver is available (Minolta-magicolor_3100-Postscript.ppd) for Linux, installed using foomatic, but it does not work properly. The resolution is at it's lowest and a poor quality grainy print results. The printer works fine under Windows XP... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bwallum
0 Replies

5. Hardware

Cups-compatible PPD for IBM 6400 printers

We've inherited some IBM Infoprint 6400 printers for use with our internal warehouse management software. Now I'm looking for a driver, or a compatibility list for said printers. I found that IBM does provide drivers for it (link), but due to our policies I can't download it. (who provides drivers... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pludi
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How does unix system administration, unix programming, unix network programming differ?

How does unix system administration, unix programming, unix network programming differ? Please help. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thulasidharan2k
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Transfer from Window server to UNIX and UNIX to UNIX

Dear All, Can someone help to command or program to transfer the file from windows to Unix server and from one unix server to another Unix server in secure way. I would request no samba client. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yadavricky
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

PPD conumdrum

Hello, Long time without posting to the Unix forum. I'm currently supporting a RHEL 5.8 environment. Our site is a Konica Minolta shop. We are setting up back-end printing and for the most part it's all well. We've been having issues with a particular model: C364 colour printer. It prints Ok... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fabiogilr
0 Replies
cupstestppd(1)							    Apple Inc.							    cupstestppd(1)

NAME
cupstestppd - test conformance of ppd files SYNOPSIS
cupstestppd [ -I category ] [ -R rootdir ] [ -W category ] [ -q ] [-r] [ -v[v] ] filename.ppd[.gz] [ ... filenameN.ppd[.gz] ] cupstestppd [ -R rootdir ] [ -W category ] [ -q ] [-r] [ -v[v] ] - DESCRIPTION
cupstestppd tests the conformance of PPD files to the Adobe PostScript Printer Description file format specification version 4.3. It can also be used to list the supported options and available fonts in a PPD file. The results of testing and any other output are sent to the standard output. The first form of cupstestppd tests one or more PPD files on the command-line. The second form tests the PPD file provided on the standard input. OPTIONS
cupstestppd supports the following options: -I filename Ignores all PCFileName warnings. -I filters Ignores all filter errors. -I profiles Ignores all profile errors. -R rootdir Specifies an alternate root directory for the filter, pre-filter, and other support file checks. -W constraints Report all UIConstraint errors as warnings. -W defaults Except for size-related options, report all default option errors as warnings. -W filters Report all filter errors as warnings. -W profiles Report all profile errors as warnings. -W sizes Report all media size errors as warnings. -W translations Report all translation errors as warnings. -W all Report all of the previous errors as warnings. -W none Report all of the previous errors as errors. -q Specifies that no information should be displayed. -r Relaxes the PPD conformance requirements so that common whitespace, control character, and formatting problems are not treated as hard errors. -v Specifies that detailed conformance testing results should be displayed rather than the concise PASS/FAIL/ERROR status. -vv Specifies that all information in the PPD file should be displayed in addition to the detailed conformance testing results. The -q, -v, and -vv options are mutually exclusive. EXIT STATUS
cupstestppd returns zero on success and non-zero on error. The error codes are as follows: 1 Bad command-line arguments or missing PPD filename. 2 Unable to open or read PPD file. 3 The PPD file contains format errors that cannot be skipped. 4 The PPD file does not conform to the Adobe PPD specification. EXAMPLES
The following command will test all PPD files under the current directory and print the names of each file that does not conform: find . -name *.ppd ! -exec cupstestppd -q '{}' ; -print The next command tests all PPD files under the current directory and print detailed conformance testing results for the files that do not conform: find . -name *.ppd ! -exec cupstestppd -q '{}' ; -exec cupstestppd -v '{}' ; SEE ALSO
lpadmin(8), http://localhost:631/help Adobe PostScript Printer Description File Format Specification, Version 4.3. COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2007-2011 by Apple Inc. 19 November 2009 CUPS cupstestppd(1)