Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Setting path for GCC?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Setting path for GCC? Post 40460 by HOUSCOUS on Tuesday 16th of September 2003 01:22:27 AM
Old 09-16-2003
Setting path for GCC?

Dear all, I have downloaded the latest version of gcc --- gcc-3.3.1.tar.gz from gnu.org. My Linux distribution is Mandrake 9.0. This was how I installed it:

su -
passwrd:

mkdir /usr/local/src
cd /usr/local/src

gunzip /tmp/gcc-3.3.1.tar.gz #where I downloaded the file
tar xvf /tmp/gcc-3.3.1.tar

cd /opt/build
/usr/local/src/gcc-3.3.1/configure
--prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib --with-slibdir=/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --disable-checking --enable-long-long --enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-languages=c,c++,ada,f77,objc,java --host=i586-mandrake-linux-gnu --with-system-zlib

make
make install

After I have done all these, I used "which, whereis, -v, and --version" to check the version of GCC.

Quote:
$ which gcc
/usr/bin/gcc

$ whereis gcc
gcc: /usr/bin/gcc3.2-version /usr/bin/gcc /usr/local/bin/gcc /usr/share/man/man1/gcc.1.bz2 /usr/share/man/man1/gcc.1

$ gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr//bin/../lib/gcc-lib/i586-mandrake-linux-gnu/3.3.1/specs
Configured with: /usr/local/src/gcc-3.3.1/configure --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib --with-slibdir=/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --disable-checking --enable-long-long --enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-languages=c,c++,ada,f77,objc,java --host=i586-mandrake-linux-gnu --with-system-zlib
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.3.1

$ gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 3.3.1
Copyright (C) 2003 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

$
I can see the system holds two versions of gcc, and if I didn't guess it wrong, the system is still using the old gcc-3.2 as the default.

I have two questions here:
First, how could I set system to use gcc-3.3.1? Someone told me because gcc-3.2 was installed in /usr/bin and gcc-3.3.1 was in /usr/local/bin so I have to change the order in $PATH. I didn't understand that clear, so I went to ~/.bashrc and changed it. But after I rebooted the system, I saw the system was still using gcc-3.2. As a newbie, I hope someone could walk me through it step-by-step or even a little tip will be appreciated.
My second question is about removing the older version of gcc. I don't think I need two versions of gcc in my system since they require space. I want to remove the older version. My Mandrake 9.0 uses rpm to install gcc-3.2 in the system, so I tried to use "rpm -e gcc" to delete the old version. I failed because of the software dependency. Is there any way to remove it and not hurting my other programs have installed in my computer?

Thanx in advanced.

HOUSCOUS

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help on setting path variable

Hi there, I need help on setting the path variable. How can I set the path variable with Bourne Shell. My scripts goes like this, but did not work. #!/bin/sh PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/ucb:/etc:/export/home/zchen/home export PATH Thanks, Z (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: randomcz
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting path

Hi all, I have a java command in a shell script. When i m executing the command from the prompt its working fine. But when i paste the same command in a shell script and execute the shell script it says path not found. Please help. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: radhika03
5 Replies

3. Solaris

Problem Setting $PATH

I am trying to install the pkg-get package to a fresh install of Solaris 10. I am able to download and install correctly using the default directory for both pkg-get and wget as found on blastwave.org. When I issue the command "which wget and which pkg-get" it returns no wget or pkg-get found in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: greengrass
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting up a path in UNIX

I have the following script "test". When i tried to execute it, I am not able to run it. I dunno why ? Then i tried getting the first few lines of the script which is displayed below: $head -10 test #!/bin/ksh PROG=$0;export PROG ORAUSER=`get_inf_env INFORM_DB_ACCOUNT`;export ORAUSER... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby1015
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting path names

I am in a directory called /abstracts Doing tree -d gives . ├── geo1936 │ ├── geo01n01 │ ├── geo01n02 │ └── geo01n03 ├── geo1937 │ ├── geo02n01 │ ├── geo02n02 │ ├── geo02n03 │ └── geo02n04 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting up a private path

Hi all, This is probably a very simple question but I couldn't even think of how to phrase it intelligently so google could tell me the answer. Basically I am a user on a server, I am not the admin and do not have root privileges. I have downloaded a bunch of programs that I need to use and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DavyK1984
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is there any $PATH default setting?

This is a very newbie's question: I was trying to add a new version of the same command "blastn", but the old command always shows up first. which blastn /usr/local/bin/blastnThe two versions of the same command "blastn" are located in: which -a blastn /usr/local/bin/blastn... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting class path

hi , can anybody help me to chage the class path in unix server.. what are the files need to update .... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Madhu Siddula
2 Replies

9. Programming

Gcc linker search path order

I have a build where I wish to link against and load a specific version of a library and a different version of the same library is installed on the system. I'm using a -L option to point to the version that I wish to link against but gcc still seems to choose the installed version. Is there a way... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Richard Johnson
4 Replies
atscc(1)						      General Commands Manual							  atscc(1)

NAME
atscc - ATS compiler frontend SYNOPSIS
atscc [options] files... DESCRIPTION
atscc is a frontend to the atsopt Anairiats compiler for the ATS language. OPTIONS
atscc has a command-line option syntax in the style of gcc and accepts all the same options, many of them being passed directly to the gcc backend. Here are summarized the non-gcc options. -cc, --compile Only compile the given ATS source files into C files. -D_ATS_GCATS Enable the garbage collector in the generated executable. -IATS <path> Add a path to search for ATS files when doing static and dynamic loads. -tc, --typecheck Typecheck the given ATS source files, but go no further. --version Show ATS/Anairiats version and gcc version. EXAMPLES
atscc -o test -O3 test.dats Compile test.dats to an executable named test. Tell gcc to use the third level of optimization. atscc -tc test.dats Typecheck test.dats only. atscc -o test.o -c test.dats Compile test.dats to an object file named test.o. SEE ALSO
atsopt(1), atslex(1), These programs are documented fully by The ATS/Anairiats user's manual available via the web at http://www.ats-lang.org/ AUTHOR
atscc was written by Hongwei Xi. This manual page was written by Matthew Danish <mrd@debian.org>, for the Debian project (and may be used by others). February 22, 2010 atscc(1)