Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: simple Bourne problem
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting simple Bourne problem Post 40089 by norsk hedensk on Monday 8th of September 2003 10:36:59 PM
Old 09-08-2003
here is what i used for a script i wrote for command line option checking. its right from my script so you will have to edit it your self for your needs. also i got the outline of this from tldp.org's advanced bash shell scripting guide

Code:
NO_ARGS=0
E_OPTERROR=65

if [ $# -eq "$NO_ARGS" ] # should check for no arguments
then
	echo "Usage: `basename $0` -s<OPTIONS> <HOSTNAME> "
	echo "You must specify interactive, or non interactive mode for now"
	echo "Try './serverstatus -h' for more information."
	exit $E_OPTERROR
fi

while getopts ":sinvh" Option
do
	case $Option in

s )
			hostname=`echo $@`
			hostname2=`echo $hostname|awk '{print $2}'`
			echo $hostname2
			a=`nmap $hostname2`

;;

i )
			interactivemode_func
		;;

n )
			non_interactivemode_func
		;;

v )
			version_func
		;;

h )
			help_func
		;;

* )
			echo "Unimplemented option chosen"
		;;
	esac
done

shift $(($OPTIND - 1))

i put that in a function called main() and called the function with

Code:
main "$@"

credit to perderabo for showing me that last part, i dont think i would ever have figured that out without his help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

bourne mail script problem

Hey there, Just have a quick question. i've written a program and it needs to send a email to confirm it's completed. now i've done the mail -s "Subject" test@test.com the problem is the program, when run just waits. it doesn't execute the next command unless i press ^D. is there away... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priest_Ridden
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple bourne script

Hello There, I am trying to write this SIMPLE script in Bourne Shell but I keep on getting a blank response. Can you see what I am doing wrong? I am simply trying to take the day of the week from our system and when the teachers sign on I want them to see the message of the day, when they exe... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: catbad
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

please give a bourne script to this problem

Hello all, I am new to unix and having the below problem.Any help will be appreciated. Write a Bourn shell script dTOe which takes as an input any number between 0 and 999 and prints the English value for this number. The program should display an error message when a NOT digit value entered.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raj1811
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Project with somewhat simple bourne shell cript..

Right now if I have a file that has the following information (with : as the delimiter) name :address :phone number I need to be able to do the following commands: -n search for a name -p search for a phone number -l search for a last name starting with a particular -c find an... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Generic
17 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sh, Bourne Problem with getting lines in a file

This is a new exercise for me 1.) Create a bourne shell script that can accept 2 arguments/parameters. Name your script as housekeep_files.sh. 2.) The script will delete the files specified in the input file (1st parameter) and will send a notification through email (2nd parameter) the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kdyzsa
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

if loop problem in bourne shell

how to use if-loop in bourne shell with multiple conditions like follows if then commands fi it gives me an error test: ] missing then i put if ] it gives me an error [[ not found kindly i need the syntex for the bourne shell (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmad.diab
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please help me with a simple problem

Hi, I have a very simple script like below: for n in 10 20 30 do for a in 30 40 50 60 70 80 do for r in 2 3 4 5 6 7 do m=$((r*a)) count=1 while do echo "a = " $a ", m = " $m ", n = " $n ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dark2Bright
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bourne Shell - Problem with while loop variable scope.

Hello I am having issues with a script I'm working on developing on a Solaris machine. The script is intended to find out how many times a particular user (by given userid) has logged into the local system for more than one hour today. Here is my while loop: last $user | grep -v 'sshd'... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: DaveRich
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple wc problem

Hi there, Im sure there is a simple explanation for this but I have a file like this with no balnk lines peter paul john I run the command # var=`grep paul file.txt` # echo $var paul # echo $var | wc -l 1 but when I grep for a value that isnt in the file, i still... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rethink
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bourne script problem

I've got an NTFS file system mounted on my Linux box, which means I can have multi-word directory names. I want to recurse through the directory structure copying stuff from /A to /B when it does not already exist on /B. Here is the chunk of code, and the output of a set -x run on that chunk of... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: esmith92000
8 Replies
ppmtosixel(1)						      General Commands Manual						     ppmtosixel(1)

NAME
ppmtosixel - convert a portable pixmap into DEC sixel format SYNOPSIS
ppmtosixel [-raw] [-margin] [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces sixel commands (SIX) as output. The output is formatted for color printing, e.g. for a DEC LJ250 color inkjet printer. If RGB values from the PPM file do not have maxval=100, the RGB values are rescaled. A printer control header and a color assignment table begin the SIX file. Image data is written in a compressed format by default. A printer control footer ends the image file. OPTIONS
-raw If specified, each pixel will be explicitly described in the image file. If -raw is not specified, output will default to com- pressed format in which identical adjacent pixels are replaced by "repeat pixel" commands. A raw file is often an order of magni- tude larger than a compressed file and prints much slower. -margin If -margin is not specified, the image will be start at the left margin (of the window, paper, or whatever). If -margin is speci- fied, a 1.5 inch left margin will offset the image. PRINTING
Generally, sixel files must reach the printer unfiltered. Use the lpr -x option or cat filename > /dev/tty0?. BUGS
Upon rescaling, truncation of the least significant bits of RGB values may result in poor color conversion. If the original PPM maxval was greater than 100, rescaling also reduces the image depth. While the actual RGB values from the ppm file are more or less retained, the color palette of the LJ250 may not match the colors on your screen. This seems to be a printer limitation. SEE ALSO
ppm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1991 by Rick Vinci. 26 April 1991 ppmtosixel(1)