Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Problem with variable type
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem with variable type Post 40026 by siavoush on Sunday 7th of September 2003 08:04:25 AM
Old 09-07-2003
Dear Perderabo

Many thanks for your help. The bc command worked for me and script running ok. If I have some free time will work on it according to your suggestions in the C programming environment.

Cheers, Siavoush
Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get type of variable in perl

hello all how can i get the type of variable in perl like typeof(var); in javascript for instance ? to know if the variable is int or string ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting type of variable

Hello: Is there any way to tell the type of a passed or entered variable, if it is a string or integer,...etc. Thanks a lot (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aladdin
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stuck on a matching, copying type problem

Hi all, I am new to these forum and to scripting in general for that matter. i have been looking through the forums for something that could explain my problem. I have be come pretty familiar with sed and awk but I can not seem to figure this out... I am trying to match data from 3 files but every... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: derek3131
4 Replies

4. Programming

Need help in storing command line argument argv[2] to a variable of int type

The following program takes two command line arguments. I want the second argument (fileCount) to be stored/printed as a int value. I tried my best to typecast the char to int (check the printf statement at last) but is not working...the output is some junk value. This program is in its... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: frozensmilz
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl variable type assessment

Hello experts, How we can find out,that what is type of a scalar variable? i.e a scalar var contain a number or a string. Thanks in advance. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zaxon
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with type-casting in awk

Hi I'm trying to write a script which takes an integer as input and checks for files with size > input and displays it on screen. The code I've tried : echo 'Enter the min file size expected' read filesize du -ah <folder name> | awk -F: '$1>int(filesize) {print $1,$2)' is always... (28 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek.bharadwaj
28 Replies

7. Programming

C++ type-casting a member variable in const methods

Is it permitted to type-cast a member variable passed in as a parameter in a member const method .. I am doing something like : in a return-type method () const { variable other = long(member variable) } this other assigned variable is not updating and I wonder if type-casting in such... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shriyer123
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is a type of this variable?

I have a question about the type of this variable checkU= sudo cat /etc/passwd: grep $uname: wc -l I write a script to check the existent of username that get from the keyboard. If there is no username,it will create the username else it show the 'Duplicate name" message. The problem is it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thsecmaniac
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Type casting problem

hi guys, i m new to shell script.. i dont know how to type cast string into integers and i mention my problem below.. date="21091988" month=$((${date:2:2})) # extract the month from previous date variable temp=$(($month*23)) when i am trying to calculate the temp value i got the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: raadhaakrishnan
5 Replies

10. Programming

Strange value of the double type variable: -nan(0x8000000000000)

I am confused by the value of "currdisk->currangle" after adding operation. Initially the value of "currdisk->currangle" is 0.77500000000000013, but after adding operation, it's changed to "-nan(0x8000000000000)", Can anyone explain ? Thanks! The following is the occasion of gdb debugging. 3338 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: 915086731
8 Replies
SETUID(1)						      General Commands Manual							 SETUID(1)

NAME
setuid - run a command with a different uid. SYNOPSIS
setuid username|uid command [ args ] DESCRIPTION
Setuid changes user id, then executes the specified command. Unlike some versions of su(1), this program doesn't ever ask for a password when executed with effective uid=root. This program doesn't change the environment; it only changes the uid and then uses execvp() to find the command in the path, and execute it. (If the command is a script, execvp() passes the command name to /bin/sh for processing.) For example, setuid some_user $SHELL can be used to start a shell running as another user. Setuid is useful inside scripts that are being run by a setuid-root user -- such as a script invoked with super, so that the script can execute some commands using the uid of the original user, instead of root. This allows unsafe commands (such as editors and pagers) to be used in a non-root mode inside a super script. For example, an operator with permission to modify a certain protected_file could use a super command that simply does: cp protected_file temp_file setuid $ORIG_USER ${EDITOR:-/bin/vi} temp_file cp temp_file protected_file (Note: don't use this example directly. If the temp_file can somehow be replaced by another user, as might be the case if it's kept in a temporary directory, there will be a race condition in the time between editing the temporary file and copying it back to the protected file.) AUTHOR
Will Deich local SETUID(1)