Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Cutting rows after a selected point Post 39921 by nhatch on Friday 5th of September 2003 05:40:16 AM
Old 09-05-2003
Cutting rows after a selected point

I have a log file from which I want to cut out the ten lines assoictiated to my search requirment (cust_ref #).

The cust_ref number will be on te first line and the update information will be on the following ten lines (which dosen't linking data to grep on).

Using a script I would like to search to the cust_ref and cut the 11 lines I need.

Columns, characters I can cut but don't know where to start on cutting whole lines!!!! Smilie

Any usefull tips?

Any Fanks,

Neil

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

flags to suppress column output, # of rows selected in db2 sql in UNIX

Hello, I am new to db2 SQL in unix so bear with me while I try to explain the situation. I have a text file that has the contents of the where condition that I am using for a db2 SQL in UNIX ksh. Here is the snippet. if ; then echo "Begin processing VALUEs" ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

return number of rows selected

Hi all, i am doing a perl script to read from a db. I am able to retrieve the rows, but i am unable to return the number of rows selected. i tried $selectedrows = $sth->numrows; i got the error msg: Can't locate object method "numrows" via package "DBI::st" i changed it to $selectedrows =... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2ss
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

print selected rows with awk

Hi everybody: Could anybody tell me how I can print from a file a selected rows with awk. In my case I only want print in another file all the rows from NR=8 to NR=2459 and the increment each 8 times. I tried to this: awk '{for (i=8; i=2459; i+=8); NR==i}' file1 > file2 But doesn't... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonet
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

combining cat output and cutting rows

I have a file that contain the following. -D HTTPD_ROOT="/usr/local/apache" -D SERVER_CONFIG_FILE="conf/httpd.conf" I want a shell script, so that after cat filename and apply the shell script I should get the output as follows. /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf ie cat filename |... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anilcliff
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cutting rows at specific length

Hi, i have a file containing nrows and 3cols. i want to cut it in specific length and save output to individual files. 1 2 3 4 5 6 5 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 i need to cut the file say every 2 rows and save it in individual file. 01.dat contains 1 2 3 4 5 6 02.dat 7 8 9... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ida1215
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove a newline char from selected rows.

Greetings! Can we automate the process of removing a newline char from selected rows in a fixed width file using a shell? Input is like abcd1234 xyzd1234 abcd a1b2c3d4 abcd1234 xyzd1234 xx abcd1234 Expected output - abcd1234xyzd1234 abcda1b2c3d4abcd1234xyzd1234 xxabcd1234 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mailme0205
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell to remove a newline char from selected rows in a file.

Greetings! Can we automate the process of removing a newline char from selected rows in a fixed width file using a shell? Input is like abcd1234 xyzd1234 abcd a1b2c3d4 abcd1234 xyzd1234 xx abcd1234 Expected output - abcd1234xyzd1234 abcda1b2c3d4abcd1234xyzd1234 xxabcd1234 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mailme0205
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

To extract selected rows

Hi, I have two files Input1.txt and Input2.txt and i need to have a output with selected lines starting with the values present in Input2.txt. For example: Input1.txt:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhas
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine multiple rows based on selected column keys

Hello I want to collapse a file with multiple rows into consolidated lines of entries based on selected columns as the 'key'. Example: 1 2 3 Abc def ghi 1 2 3 jkl mno p qrts 6 9 0 mno def Abc 7 8 4 Abc mno mno abc 7 8 9 mno mno abc 7 8 9 mno j k So if columns 1, 2 and 3 are... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxlearner123
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Reading and copying a selected rows

Dear All, I have a data file input.res like below. (Only six column shown here for example.) Sequence of first column starting from 1 to 148. Input file 1 Q0 9_August_2014_Entertainment2 0 20.14967806339729 BM25b1.0 1 Q0 13_October_2012_Page323 1 20.134224346765738 BM25b1.0 1 Q0... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: imranrasheedamu
2 Replies
CUT-DIFF(1)							  Cutter's manual						       CUT-DIFF(1)

NAME
cut-diff - show difference between 2 files with color SYNOPSIS
cut-diff [option ...] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
cut-diff is a diff command that uses diff feature in Cutter. It shows difference with color. It's recommended that you use a normal diff(1) when you want to use with patch(1) or you don't need color. OPTIONS
--version cut-diff shows its own version and exits. -c [yes|true|no|false|auto], --color=[yes|true|no|false|auto] If 'yes' or 'true' is specified, cut-diff uses colorized output by escape sequence. If 'no' or 'false' is specified, cut-diff never use colorized output. If 'auto' or the option is omitted, cut-diff uses colorized output if available. The default is auto. -u, --unified cut-diff uses unified diff format. --context-lines=LINES Shows diff context around LINES. All lines are shown by default. When unified diff format is used, 3 lines are shown by default. --label=LABEL, -L=LABEL Uses LABEL as a header label. The first--label option value is used as file1's label and the second --label option value is used asfile2's label. Labels are the same as file names by default. EXIT STATUS
The exit status is 0 for success, non-0 otherwise. TODO: 0 for non-difference, 1 for difference and non-0 for errors. EXAMPLE
In the following example, cut-diff shows difference between file1 and file2: % cut-diff file1 file2 In the following example, cut-diff shows difference between file1 and file2 with unified diff format: % cut-diff -u file1 file2 SEE ALSO
diff(1) Cutter February 2011 CUT-DIFF(1)