Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replace string and delete extra characters Post 39730 by slaubhan on Thursday 28th of August 2003 05:49:40 PM
Old 08-28-2003
Thank you!! That did the trick. I had already tried with the asterisk, but I left out the period.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace characters in a string using their ascii value

Hi All, In the HP Unix that i'm using when i initialise a string as Stalled="'30¬G'" Stalled=$Stalled" '30¬C'", it is taking the character ¬ as a comma. I need to grep for 30¬G 30¬C in a file and take its count. But since this character ¬ is not being understood, the count returns a zero. The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: roops
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help to replace extra new line characters

Hi my file data is like below ramu,sony,"raju \n ravi \n ramya" \n ravi,sarah,"sowmya \n sorry s\ sangam" \n i want replace new line characters in between double coats with sinhle space. for example cat input_file ramu,sony,"raju ravi ramya" ravi,sarah,"sowmya sorry sangam" ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raghava
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

search and replace characters in one string

I have lines like: Dog Cat House Mouse Dog Cat House Mouse Dog Cat House Mouse Dog Cat House Mouse I'd like to replace characters only in $3. H -> Z s -> W e -> x Resulting in something like (where $1, $2, and $4 are not changed): Dog Cat ZouWx Mouse Dog Cat ZouWx Mouse... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dcfargo
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED help delete characters in a string

Hi Please help me to refine my syntax. I want to delete the excess characters from the out put below. -bash-3.00$ top -b -n2 -d 00.20 |grep Cpu|tail -1 | awk -F ":" '{ print $2 }' | cut -d, -f1 4.4% us now i want to delete the % and us. How wil i do that to make it just 4.4. Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: redtred
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk + gsub to search multiple input values & replace with located string + extra text

Hi all. I have the following command that is successfully searching for any one of the strings on all lines of a file and replacing it with the instructed value. cat inputFile | awk '{gsub(/aaa|bbb|ccc|ddd/,"1234")}1' > outputFile This does in fact replace any occurrence of aaa, bbb,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dazhoop
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace extra Characters

The result of following command give me output which i further need to make some cosmetic change. grep -E "ERROR.*Session" wf_Load_25.log | awk '{print $14}' Output: : Expected Output: s_Load_XMLFile_Into_HashCustLoan_25 Please help, i am using bash (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find/replace alpha characters in string

Hi, I would like to find a 3-letter character series in a string/variable and replace it with x's. An example set of strings is: 563MS333_101_afp_400-100_screening 563MS333_104-525_rjk_525_screening 563MS333_110_dlj_500-100_w24 563MS333_888-100_mmm_424_screening The only constants... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: goodbenito
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to replace the string with special characters

{"name":"alR_pl-ENVIRONMENT_192_168_211_123_sDK_PROVISION_7","description":"aLR_pl-ENVIRONMENT_192_168_211_123_sDK_PROVISION_7","json_class":"Chef::Role","default_attributes":{},"override_attributes":{"yoapp":{"jboss":"5.1.0","port":"2243","warname":"soap","datacenter":"alR","ip":"192.168.211.123","... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil jain
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replace nth characters with string

Hi, I hope you can help me out please? I need to replace from character 8-16 with AAAAAAAA and the rest should stay the same after character 16 gtwrhtrd11111111rjytwyejtyjejetjyetgeaEHT wrehrhw22222222hytekutkyukrylryilruilrGEQTH hrwjyety33333333gtrhwrjrgkreglqeriugn;RUGNEURGU ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stinkefisch
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for a string,delete the line and replace with new string in a file

Hi Everyone, I have a requirement in ksh where i have a set of files in a directory. I need to search each and every file if a particular string is present in the file, delete that line and replace that line with another string expression in the same file. I am very new to unix. Kindly help... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pradhikshan
10 Replies
whois(1)							   User Commands							  whois(1)

NAME
whois - Internet user name directory service SYNOPSIS
whois [-h host] identifier DESCRIPTION
whois searches for an Internet directory entry for an identifier which is either a name (such as ``Smith'') or a handle (such as ``SRI- NIC''). To force a name-only search, precede the name with a period; to force a handle-only search, precede the handle with an exclamation point. To search for a group or organization entry, precede the argument with * (an asterisk). The entire membership list of the group will be displayed with the record. You may of course use an exclamation point and asterisk, or a period and asterisk together. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Using The whois Command The command: example% whois Smith looks for the name or handle SMITH. The command: example% whois !SRI-NIC looks for the handle SRI-NIC only. The command: example% whois .Smith, John looks for the name JOHN SMITH only. Adding ... to the name or handle argument will match anything from that point; that is, ZU ... will match ZUL, ZUM, and so on. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWrcmdc | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 6 Nov 2000 whois(1)