Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replace string and delete extra characters Post 39729 by Perderabo on Thursday 28th of August 2003 05:44:12 PM
Old 08-28-2003
try:
sed 's/OUTPUT=.*/OUTPUT='$file'/' $file > new_$file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace characters in a string using their ascii value

Hi All, In the HP Unix that i'm using when i initialise a string as Stalled="'30¬G'" Stalled=$Stalled" '30¬C'", it is taking the character ¬ as a comma. I need to grep for 30¬G 30¬C in a file and take its count. But since this character ¬ is not being understood, the count returns a zero. The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: roops
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help to replace extra new line characters

Hi my file data is like below ramu,sony,"raju \n ravi \n ramya" \n ravi,sarah,"sowmya \n sorry s\ sangam" \n i want replace new line characters in between double coats with sinhle space. for example cat input_file ramu,sony,"raju ravi ramya" ravi,sarah,"sowmya sorry sangam" ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raghava
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

search and replace characters in one string

I have lines like: Dog Cat House Mouse Dog Cat House Mouse Dog Cat House Mouse Dog Cat House Mouse I'd like to replace characters only in $3. H -> Z s -> W e -> x Resulting in something like (where $1, $2, and $4 are not changed): Dog Cat ZouWx Mouse Dog Cat ZouWx Mouse... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dcfargo
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED help delete characters in a string

Hi Please help me to refine my syntax. I want to delete the excess characters from the out put below. -bash-3.00$ top -b -n2 -d 00.20 |grep Cpu|tail -1 | awk -F ":" '{ print $2 }' | cut -d, -f1 4.4% us now i want to delete the % and us. How wil i do that to make it just 4.4. Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: redtred
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk + gsub to search multiple input values & replace with located string + extra text

Hi all. I have the following command that is successfully searching for any one of the strings on all lines of a file and replacing it with the instructed value. cat inputFile | awk '{gsub(/aaa|bbb|ccc|ddd/,"1234")}1' > outputFile This does in fact replace any occurrence of aaa, bbb,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dazhoop
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace extra Characters

The result of following command give me output which i further need to make some cosmetic change. grep -E "ERROR.*Session" wf_Load_25.log | awk '{print $14}' Output: : Expected Output: s_Load_XMLFile_Into_HashCustLoan_25 Please help, i am using bash (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find/replace alpha characters in string

Hi, I would like to find a 3-letter character series in a string/variable and replace it with x's. An example set of strings is: 563MS333_101_afp_400-100_screening 563MS333_104-525_rjk_525_screening 563MS333_110_dlj_500-100_w24 563MS333_888-100_mmm_424_screening The only constants... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: goodbenito
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to replace the string with special characters

{"name":"alR_pl-ENVIRONMENT_192_168_211_123_sDK_PROVISION_7","description":"aLR_pl-ENVIRONMENT_192_168_211_123_sDK_PROVISION_7","json_class":"Chef::Role","default_attributes":{},"override_attributes":{"yoapp":{"jboss":"5.1.0","port":"2243","warname":"soap","datacenter":"alR","ip":"192.168.211.123","... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil jain
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replace nth characters with string

Hi, I hope you can help me out please? I need to replace from character 8-16 with AAAAAAAA and the rest should stay the same after character 16 gtwrhtrd11111111rjytwyejtyjejetjyetgeaEHT wrehrhw22222222hytekutkyukrylryilruilrGEQTH hrwjyety33333333gtrhwrjrgkreglqeriugn;RUGNEURGU ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stinkefisch
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for a string,delete the line and replace with new string in a file

Hi Everyone, I have a requirement in ksh where i have a set of files in a directory. I need to search each and every file if a particular string is present in the file, delete that line and replace that line with another string expression in the same file. I am very new to unix. Kindly help... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pradhikshan
10 Replies
CHECKBASHISMS(1)					      General Commands Manual						  CHECKBASHISMS(1)

NAME
checkbashisms - check for bashisms in /bin/sh scripts SYNOPSIS
checkbashisms script ... checkbashisms --help|--version DESCRIPTION
checkbashisms, based on one of the checks from the lintian system, performs basic checks on /bin/sh shell scripts for the possible presence of bashisms. It takes the names of the shell scripts on the command line, and outputs warnings if possible bashisms are detected. Note that the definition of a bashism in this context roughly equates to "a shell feature that is not required to be supported by POSIX"; this means that some issues flagged may be permitted under optional sections of POSIX, such as XSI or User Portability. In cases where POSIX and Debian Policy disagree, checkbashisms by default allows extensions permitted by Policy but may also provide options for stricter checking. OPTIONS
--help, -h Show a summary of options. --newline, -n Check for "echo -n" usage (non POSIX but required by Debian Policy 10.4.) --posix, -p Check for issues which are non POSIX but required to be supported by Debian Policy 10.4 (implies -n). --force, -f Force each script to be checked, even if it would normally not be (for instance, it has a bash or non POSIX shell shebang or appears to be a shell wrapper). --extra, -x Highlight lines which, whilst they do not contain bashisms, may be useful in determining whether a particular issue is a false posi- tive which may be ignored. For example, the use of "$BASH_ENV" may be preceded by checking whether "$BASH" is set. --version, -v Show version and copyright information. EXIT VALUES
The exit value will be 0 if no possible bashisms or other problems were detected. Otherwise it will be the sum of the following error val- ues: 1 A possible bashism was detected. 2 A file was skipped for some reason, for example, because it was unreadable or not found. The warning message will give details. SEE ALSO
lintian(1). AUTHOR
checkbashisms was originally written as a shell script by Yann Dirson <dirson@debian.org> and rewritten in Perl with many more features by Julian Gilbey <jdg@debian.org>. DEBIAN
Debian Utilities CHECKBASHISMS(1)