Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: change user in a shell
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers change user in a shell Post 39721 by ortsvorsteher on Thursday 28th of August 2003 04:15:35 PM
Old 08-28-2003
Maybe you can use this:

su - <username> -c

as root.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

change user through shell script

hi, my problem is that i am calling a script from my perl program. the script checks wether a particular process is running or not if the process is not running then it should start the process. the problem here is that the front end logs into backend with a user which does not have the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: raviraushanjha
0 Replies

2. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

User name change?

Hello, I love the service. My username is Jmt. Can I change that to WebKruncher? Thanks, -Jmt WebKruncher.com - sole proprietor. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jmt
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do i change to super user then revert back to ordinary user ,using shell script?

Hi all, I am trying to eject the cdrom from a livecd after certain stage... Now assuming that it is possible to eject,please consider my issue!!! The OS boots into a regular user by default...so i am unable to use the eject command to push out the drive... However if i try pfexec eject it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

change user> to user@host> ssh prompt

Hi, I was wondering how to change the prompt for my ssh login. At the moment it is like user> while I'd like it to be as user@host> It is in the .bash_profile or .ssh ??? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmasterkim
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to change Default Shell for any user?

Hi, I am new for solaris... how can we change default shell for any user and how to check that which shall currently we are in...... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lalit21984
1 Replies

6. Solaris

how to change /export/home/user dir to /home /user in solaris

Hi all i am using solaris 10, i am creating user with useradd -d/home/user -m -s /bin/sh user user is created with in the following path /export/home/user (auto mount) i need the user to be created like this (/home as default home directory ) useradd -d /home/user -m -s /bin/sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalyankalyan
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to change a user password using script

Hi Experts, I had tried to executes this script to change the user password through script: No lines in buffer #!/bin/ksh cat /etc/passwd | grep -v userid >> /tmp/pass.tmp1 cat /etc/passwd | grep userid >> /tmp/pass.tmp2 PASS1=`cat /tmp/pass.tmp2 | cut -d ":" -f2` PASS2=`q2w3e4r5` sed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: indrajit_renu
3 Replies

8. AIX

How to change normal user id to LDAP user id?

If I create a new user id test: mkuser id=400 test then I want it to LDAP user: chuser -R LDAP SYSTEM=LDAP registry=LDAP test It shows: 3004-687 User "test" does not exist. How to do? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change user passwords using shell script

Hi, I want to change the password of unix users on a number of servers.My plan was to ssh to all the servers in a shell script and use the passwd command. I tried to do so but everytime i run it i get this error. ssh -x -n -l user1 host passwd Changing password for "user1" 3004-709 Error... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: poojabhat
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change default shell of a specific user with awk

I would like to replicate the functionality of chsh (or passwd -e) by awk. This is what I got so far, but I think there should be an easier way to search and replace field $7 only for lines beginning with user_name: awk -v user_name="$user_name" -v new_shell="$new_shell" -F: '$1 == user_name {... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nomad84
2 Replies