Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: weird permissions
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting weird permissions Post 39675 by oombera on Wednesday 27th of August 2003 01:12:02 PM
Old 08-27-2003
I don't think I completely understand what you mean. You mention a directory you're changing the permissions on. Is the script in the directory too? Or are you just trying to create UPLOADFILE in that directory?

Really the directory should have 700 permissions on it ... to do most anything with a directory it has to be executable. I suppose you could write something in your script so that when they upload files, the permissions on the file are changed to 600 so they can't execute the files. But the directory needs to be executable to move files in or out of it.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Weird Problem???

I have a problem I don't understand... I am trying to declare a variable, and then output the results of that variable, couldn't be simpler #!/bin/ksh VAR='Oranges' if then echo "Found Lemons" elif then echo "Found Oranges" fi The output shouold clearly be "Found Oranges", but... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: danhodges99
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Weird Question

As in Windows we have Video memory and we can access it through C programs, do we have anything similar to that in Unix and similar operating systems. If we have some sort of Video memory in Unix flavours, then how can we access it through C programs. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
4 Replies

3. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

weird stuff

I coudln't think of another topic to post this under as the OS on the system is XP pro. Ok here is the go. I'm upgrdaing a mates computer. A AMD 1200Mhz and well it wouldn't boot from the CD to do a fresh install (By upgrade I mean OS with complete new install). So I opened up the box and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: woofie
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Weird File

$ls -lrt -rw-r--r-- 1 rathodr users 1757 Jan 6 13:36 cleanup.archive.files.pl -rwxr-xr-x 1 rathodr users 20503 Jan 6 13:52 alarm.control.pl -rw-r--r-- 1 rathodr users 20503 Jan 9 04:52q The last file seems to be a weird file. I am not sure how was it created. Maybe... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
5 Replies

5. HP-UX

To give the "unzip" permissions & "create" file permissions

Hi, I am a Unix Admin. I have to give the permissions to a user for creating new file in a directory in HP-Ux 11.11 system since he cannot able to create a new file in the directory. Thanks in advance. Mike (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mike1234
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

weird 'ls' output

Hi, Anyone knows why I can't display the contents of my directory and how to fix this? http://i50.tinypic.com/4smfth.jpg Thanks in advance for any advise. Deanne Double post. Continued here. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deanne
0 Replies

7. Solaris

NFS Mount permissions weird

Hi all. I have a nas mounted on a solaris box as /u04. Currently I am getting a permission denied error from my HP DataProtector backup and when I ls -l the actual directory I get: drwxrwxrwt 5 65535 nogroup 4096 Nov 9 13:46 u04 I also have SAN mounted as /u06 and it is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamie_collins
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh; Change file permissions, update file, change permissions back?

Hi, I am creating a ksh script to search for a string of text inside files within a directory tree. Some of these file are going to be read/execute only. I know to use chmod to change the permissions of the file, but I want to preserve the original permissions after writing to the file. How can I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
3 Replies

9. Ubuntu

Weird rm behaviour

I am little bit confused by the behaviour of rm in Ubuntu. It seems that as a regular user I can delete files owned by another user even when the permissions are set to 644. Here is an example: cjohnson@carbon:~/test$ sudo touch testfile cjohnson@carbon:~/test$ ls -al total 8 drwxr-xr-x... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccj4467
2 Replies
DH_FIXPERMS(1)							     Debhelper							    DH_FIXPERMS(1)

NAME
dh_fixperms - fix permissions of files in package build directories SYNOPSIS
dh_fixperms [debhelperoptions] [-Xitem] DESCRIPTION
dh_fixperms is a debhelper program that is responsible for setting the permissions of files and directories in package build directories to a sane state -- a state that complies with Debian policy. dh_fixperms makes all files in usr/share/doc in the package build directory (excluding files in the examples/ directory) be mode 644. It also changes the permissions of all man pages to mode 644. It removes group and other write permission from all files. It removes execute permissions from any libraries, headers, Perl modules, or desktop files that have it set. It makes all files in the standard bin and sbin directories, usr/games/ and etc/init.d executable (since v4). Finally, it removes the setuid and setgid bits from all files in the package. When the Rules-Requires-Root field has the (effective) value of binary-targets, dh_fixperms will also reset the ownership of all paths to "root:root". OPTIONS
-Xitem, --exclude item Exclude files that contain item anywhere in their filename from having their permissions changed. You may use this option multiple times to build up a list of things to exclude. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_FIXPERMS(1)