Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Most Neewbie friendly distribution Post 39617 by Rayben on Monday 25th of August 2003 05:06:54 PM
Old 08-25-2003
Well, I guess your right. It would probably be smart to use the same system they use at my school.
I just thought that maybe there was some special distribution that most newbees start out with.. you know.

But I just picked one now; Mandrake looked quite nice from the screenshots I saw.

Anywho, thanx for your help guys.
/Rayben

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Friendly hello

To all whom belong to the UNIX forums - I just came across your web-site from a google search, wanted to say that I am looking forward to posting with you all and trying to learn as much as I can about Unix. I currently run a small version of linux on an obsolete laptop, I have been using... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cheesedinverts
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

User friendly

Hello, As a newbie: I know that ls -l list files in a directory.Can i get a Bash script that prints the same information as ls -l but ib a user friendly way? Thank you. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: debut
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Friendly command script

Hi, I need a unix script to help my students using unix and will make it more friedly with them. The script will do something like that, when a user writes a letter, then it will be apeared to the screen the available commands or files that fit to the spesific letter that the user gives. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lakis
2 Replies

4. Programming

How to Write Linux Friendly Async Socket I/O

I am presently refactoring a windows deamon with an eye towards porting it to linux someday. Presently the application uses a single background thread and asynchronous socket I/O to implement FTP and HTTP clients in a single switch statement (2000 lines and 100 cases just for the switch... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
3 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Help finding a Unix friendly RAID 1 backup

First time poster and a very new Unix user, so I'll just pre-apologize for stupid questions now. Does anybody know of a good RAID 1 hard drive backup that is Unix friendly? I want to avoid any hardcore programming. Can you recommend both NAS and non-NAS options? I need to do nightly backups... (31 Replies)
Discussion started by: c.wakeman
31 Replies

6. Red Hat

Mulitpath user-friendly name is correct

We have device mapper multipath configured. multipath -ll is showing things correctly. But when ever we are executing lvm related command, say pvs, it is showing /dev/mpath/<wwid> number instead of expected /dev/mpath/mpathX as follows - /dev/mpath/360060e801603c800000103c800002b22 Here,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: atanubanerji
0 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

Mobile Friendly Version of UNIX.COM

Hello, I have noticed some problems with Google complaining our site is not "https://search.google.com/www.usearch-console/mobile-friendly" using only Tapatalk. So, after a lot of work, I have re-enabled our legacy mobile style and make some improvements and Google has declared us "mobile... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
2 Replies
smartcard(5)						Standards, Environments, and Macros					      smartcard(5)

NAME
smartcard - overview of smart card features on Solaris DESCRIPTION
The smart card framework provides a mechanism to abstract the details of interacting with smart cards and smart cardreaders (called card terminals). The framework is based on the OpenCard Framework V1.1 (OCF) with Sun extensions to allow OCF to operate in a multi-user envi- ronment. The core OCF software protocol stack is implemented as a system service daemon. This implementation allows smart cards and card terminals to be shared cooperatively among many different clients on the system while providing access control to the smart card and card terminal resources on a per-UID basis. An event dispatcher is provided to inform clients of events occuring on the card and at the card terminal, such as card insertion and card removal. A high-level authentication mechanism is provided to allow clients to perform smart card-based authentications without requiring knowledge of specific card or reader authentication features. A set of applet administration tools is provided for JavaCards that support downloading Java applets (although applet build tools are not provided). Administration of the smart card framework is provided with the smartcard(1M) command line administration utility and the smartcardguiad- min(1) GUI administration tool. Support the following card terminal is provided: o Dallas iButton Serial Reader (see ocf_ibutton(7D)) Additional card terminals can be supported by implementing smart card terminal interfaces in a shared library. Support for several smart cards is provided: o Schlumberger Cyberflex Access JavaCard o Schlumberger MicroPayflex o Dallas Semiconductor Java iButton JavaCard Each of the supported cards has a complete set of OCF card services that implement the necessary functionality for authentication and secure storage of data. For the two supported JavaCards, an authentication and secure data storage applet is provided that can be loaded into these cards with the supplied applet administration tools. See smartcard(1M). A PAM smart card module is provided to allow PAM clients to use smart card-based authentication. See pam_smartcard(5) CDE is able to use the PAM smart card module for dtlogin and dtsession authentication. CDE also uses the smart card framework event dis- patcher to listen for events on the card terminal and provide corresponding visual feedback to the user. SEE ALSO
ocfserv(1M), smartcard(1M), libsmartcard(3LIB), pam_start(3PAM), pam_smartcard(5), ocf_ibutton(7D), scmi2c(7D) SunOS 5.10 16 Oct 2002 smartcard(5)