Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: FTP to read a directory
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting FTP to read a directory Post 39590 by oombera on Monday 25th of August 2003 09:08:09 AM
Old 08-25-2003
krishnamarajuc,

Bakary said that mget *.* is already what he uses ... the problem is that *.* returns unwanted/unneeded files.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ftp-directory

Some users get on our server with ftp with a specific username (i.e. guest). The users guest has an own group. The user guest is in the path /usr/guests after login. How can I lock the user guest that he don't get up to the /usr treee. I tried to change the rights for the .. But it's not anymore... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arn_ch
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ftp a directory

How does one ftp an entire directory from one Solaris 5.9 machine to another with out moving one file at a time? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DarkLord
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can we ftp a directory

Hi guyz, Is there any way to ftp a whole directory structure. I mean is there any way using which I can get the whole directory ftpied including the subdirectories Thanks and regards, Gauravv (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: gauravgoel
17 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read Files from a Directory

Hi, I have a requirement where I have get the files from FTP server then delete the files in the FTP server and then store the file name within the file where there is "TR". i.e Filename|TR|20071231|.... Once I finish loading my file I have to archive the files. Is there any way to do it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiran_418
2 Replies

5. Solaris

add a ftp user with read and write permissions on a directory

hi all how I can create an ftp user in solaris 10 and have read and write permission on a directory. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: luisfja
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP files from different directory from remote server to one directory in local

Hi All, I want to search for .log files from folders and sub folders in remote server and FTP them to one particular folder in the local machine. I dont want to copy the entire directory tree structure, just have to take all the .log files from all the folders by doing a recursive search from the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dassv
3 Replies

7. AIX

AIX - read only FTP

Hi, I want to set FTP server on AIX to read only mode. I found out manual page for /etc/ftpaccess.ctl (manual page ). I tried put readonly: ALL or readonly: ALL writeonly: NONE and nothing happened (of course, I restart FTP server by stopsrc -t ftp; startsrc -t ftp) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: henriette
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ftp whole directory

HI Guys, I have downloaded the oracle binaries from oracle.com, i have unziped them in a directory say OWB. I have to copy them to my windows server so i have ran the ftp command. It looks like i can ftp whole directory. Can you please get me the command to get all the files and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: guddu_12
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ftp read a file

hi, i need ftp commands which read a text file and ftp the contents of the file to a another machine. Anyone can help me out please. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamaldev
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replicate remote directory to local directory with ftp

I have system that generate files every 1 hours , i only have ftp connection from my local server to remote . $ ls -al -rw-r--r-- 1 water None 0 Feb 7 18:09 a.0800 -rw-r--r-- 1 water None 0 Feb 7 18:09 a.0900 -rw-r--r-- 1 water None 0 Feb 7 18:09 a.1000 is there any perl / php... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: before4
3 Replies
SETFSUID(2)                                                  Linux Programmer's Manual                                                 SETFSUID(2)

NAME
setfsuid - set user identity used for filesystem checks SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/fsuid.h> int setfsuid(uid_t fsuid); DESCRIPTION
The system call setfsuid() changes the value of the caller's filesystem user ID--the user ID that the Linux kernel uses to check for all accesses to the filesystem. Normally, the value of the filesystem user ID will shadow the value of the effective user ID. In fact, when- ever the effective user ID is changed, the filesystem user ID will also be changed to the new value of the effective user ID. Explicit calls to setfsuid() and setfsgid(2) are usually used only by programs such as the Linux NFS server that need to change what user and group ID is used for file access without a corresponding change in the real and effective user and group IDs. A change in the normal user IDs for a program such as the NFS server is a security hole that can expose it to unwanted signals. (But see below.) setfsuid() will succeed only if the caller is the superuser or if fsuid matches either the caller's real user ID, effective user ID, saved set-user-ID, or current filesystem user ID. RETURN VALUE
On both success and failure, this call returns the previous filesystem user ID of the caller. VERSIONS
This system call is present in Linux since version 1.2. CONFORMING TO
setfsuid() is Linux-specific and should not be used in programs intended to be portable. NOTES
At the time when this system call was introduced, one process could send a signal to another process with the same effective user ID. This meant that if a privileged process changed its effective user ID for the purpose of file permission checking, then it could become vulnera- ble to receiving signals sent by another (unprivileged) process with the same user ID. The filesystem user ID attribute was thus added to allow a process to change its user ID for the purposes of file permission checking without at the same time becoming vulnerable to receiv- ing unwanted signals. Since Linux 2.0, signal permission handling is different (see kill(2)), with the result that a process change can change its effective user ID without being vulnerable to receiving signals from unwanted processes. Thus, setfsuid() is nowadays unneeded and should be avoided in new applications (likewise for setfsgid(2)). The original Linux setfsuid() system call supported only 16-bit user IDs. Subsequently, Linux 2.4 added setfsuid32() supporting 32-bit IDs. The glibc setfsuid() wrapper function transparently deals with the variation across kernel versions. C library/kernel differences In glibc 2.15 and earlier, when the wrapper for this system call determines that the argument can't be passed to the kernel without integer truncation (because the kernel is old and does not support 32-bit user IDs), they will return -1 and set errno to EINVAL without attempting the system call. BUGS
No error indications of any kind are returned to the caller, and the fact that both successful and unsuccessful calls return the same value makes it impossible to directly determine whether the call succeeded or failed. Instead, the caller must resort to looking at the return value from a further call such as setfsuid(-1) (which will always fail), in order to determine if a preceding call to setfsuid() changed the filesystem user ID. At the very least, EPERM should be returned when the call fails (because the caller lacks the CAP_SETUID capabil- ity). SEE ALSO
kill(2), setfsgid(2), capabilities(7), credentials(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2017-09-15 SETFSUID(2)