Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Large file search
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Large file search Post 39514 by giannicello on Wednesday 20th of August 2003 07:37:35 PM
Old 08-20-2003
Thank you!!! This is perfect.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Performance issue in UNIX while generating .dat file from large text file

Hello Gurus, We are facing some performance issue in UNIX. If someone had faced such kind of issue in past please provide your suggestions on this . Problem Definition: /Few of load processes of our Finance Application are facing issue in UNIX when they uses a shell script having below... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: KRAMA
19 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for multiple lines in large file

Hi, I have a requirement to search for a string in a large log file along with few lines before and after the the string. The following script was sufficient to search such an entry. STRING_TO_GREP="$1" FILE_TO_GREP="$2" NUMBER_OF_LINES_BEFORE=$3 NUMBER_OF_LINES_AFTER=$4 for i in `grep... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: praveen123
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to search a large file with a list of terms in another file

Hi- I am trying to search a large file with a number of different search terms that are listed one per line in 3 different files. Most importantly I need to be able to do a case insensitive search. I have tried just using egrep -f but it doesn't seam to be able to handle the -i option when... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dougzilla
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

highly specific search and replace for a large number of files

hey guys, I have a directory with about 600 files. I need to find a specific word inside a command and replace only that instance of the word in many files. For example, lets say I have a command called 'foo' in many files. One of the input arguments of the 'foo' call is 'bar'. The word 'bar'... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksubrama
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieving the relevant search from search file in the main file

I have two files: file 1: hello.com neo.com,japan.com,example.com news.net xyz.com, telecom.net, highlands.net, software.com example2.com earth.net, abc.gov.uk file 2: neo.com example.com abc.gov.uk file 2 are the search keys to search in file 1 if any of the search... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: csim_mohan
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read in search strings from text file, search for string in second text file and output to CSV

Hi guys, I have a text file named file1.txt that is formatted like this: 001 , ID , 20000 002 , Name , Brandon 003 , Phone_Number , 616-234-1999 004 , SSNumber , 234-23-234 005 , Model , Toyota 007 , Engine ,V8 008 , GPS , OFF and I have file2.txt formatted like this: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: An0mander
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Large search replace using sed results in memory problem.

I have one big file of size 9GB (big_file.txt). This big file has sentences and paragraphs like any usual English document. I have another file consisting of replacement strings for sed to use. The file name is replace.sed and each entry in one line looks like this: s/\<shout\>/shout/g s/\<b is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

sed awk: split a large file to unique file names

Dear Users, Appreciate your help if you could help me with splitting a large file > 1 million lines with sed or awk. below is the text in the file input file.txt scaffold1 928 929 C/T + scaffold1 942 943 G/C + scaffold1 959 960 C/T +... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kapr0001
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Search spaces in 5th column in large file

i have a file having 5 columns with more than million records. And i want to search using UNIX command to find if there are any spaces in 5th column. any please help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sivakumar.p
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script search, improve performance with large files

Hello, For several of our scripts we are using awk to search patterns in files with data from other files. This works almost perfectly except that it takes ages to run on larger files. I am wondering if there is a way to speed up this process or have something else that is quicker with the... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: SDohmen
15 Replies
NBPERF(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 NBPERF(1)

NAME
nbperf -- compute a perfect hash function SYNOPSIS
nbperf [-ps] [-a algorithm] [-c utilisation] [-h hash] [-i iterations] [-m map-file] [-n name] [-o output] [input] DESCRIPTION
nbperf reads a number of keys one per line from standard input or input. It computes a minimal perfect hash function and writes it to stdout or output. The default algorithm is "chm". The -m argument instructs nbperf to write the resulting key mapping to map-file. Each line gives the result of the hash function for the corresponding input key. The parameter utilisation determines the space efficiency. Supported arguments for -a: chm This results in an order preserving minimal perfect hash function. The utilisation must be at least 2, the default. The number of iterations needed grows if the utilisation is very near to 2. chm3 Similar to chm. The resulting hash function needs three instead of two table lookups when compared to chm. The utilisation must be at least 1.24, the default. This makes the output for chm3 noticable smaller than the output for chm. bpz This results in a non-order preserving minimal perfect hash function. Output size is approximately 2.79 bit per key for the default value of utilisation, 1.24. This is also the smallest supported value. Supported arguments for -h: mi_vector_hash Platform-independent version of Jenkins parallel hash. See mi_vector_hash(3). The number of iterations can be limited with -i. nbperf outputs a function matching uint32_t hash(const void * restrict, size_t) to stdout. The function expects the key length as second argument, for strings not including the terminating NUL. It is the responsibility of the call- er to pass in only valid keys or compare the resulting index to the key. The function name can be changed using -n name. If the -s flag is specified, it will be static. After each failing iteration, a dot is written to stderr. nbperf checks for duplicate keys on the first iteration that passed basic hash distribution tests. In that case, an error message is printed and the program terminates. If the -p flag is specified, the hash function is seeded in a stable way. This may take longer than the normal random seed, but ensures that the output is the same for repeated invocations as long as the input is constant. EXIT STATUS
The nbperf utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
mi_vector_hash(3) AUTHORS
Jorg Sonnenberger BSD
September 25, 2012 BSD