Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Start application after Oracle has started Post 39330 by RTM on Wednesday 13th of August 2003 12:31:02 PM
Old 08-13-2003
First, post what OS and version.

Second, post how you are starting these two processes - include, if applicable, the lines from the script(s). Post if the processes are started from the same script, or two different ones.

As a suggestion (since the information isn't yet known), you could look for the first process id from the script running the second process (modify your script to write it to a file, or create a temp file that the second script waits to be delete before starting to run) and use either the sleep command or wait command while waiting for the first to finish.

Example:
First script starts first Oracle process: change it to create a temp file
touch /tmp/Oracle1.tmp
At the end of the script, remove the temp file.

Second script starts second Oracle process:
Checks to see if the file exists - if it does, sleep for xx amount of time and then check again. Once the file is removed, the second script will start the second process.

If your OS, as Perderabo has mentioned, uses different scripts in startup, then it's also just as easy to find how much time you need to wait and just put the second script in a 'later' start by changing the number of the script (S99 versus S01).

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how do i auto start application upon startup?

sorry, i'm a newbie to unix... but how do i or rather where do i write scripts that auto start my application e.g. Informix? in Windows it would be services but in UNIX where can i auto start my informix program? To run informix i just type "oninit". And do i have to login to any user before... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: doofie
2 Replies

2. Linux

where to put an application if i want to start it on start up

hi i want to know the way by which i put any file somewhere and it get s started when the system restarts or bots i mean whenever my system starts that application must also start thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shukla_chanchal
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Start and stop of an application thru shell scripts.

Hi, I just learnt the shell scripting and got working on that right now. I have one problem. Here i am having a java application that needs to be start and stop using two shell scripts, i.e., starting the java application using one shell script and stopping the application using another... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sadha
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I start a SH application when someone makes a ssh connection?

Hello everyone, I'm trying to control the access in my server. I did an application that can read audit logs and sys logs with the purpose to send me a report by email with important information about the user. It's a SH file. My problem is start the program when someone makes a ssh connection.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: journey
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to start application and keep script running

What I'm looking for is best explained with a little example. #!/bin/bash gedit echo "I need this message to appear while gedit is still running, but it appears only then when I close gedit." Of course most of the times you want the script to wait, but in this case I want to start a new... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrZehl
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell Scripting Stop/Start Application

I did a search of these forums but couldnt find a suitable resolution. I am attempting to script a stop and start of an application on AIX. Such as: However it has authentication where username and password prompts will appear after running the above command requiring input from a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Soupy
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to backup dirs on application start and close.

Hi I want to write a script that will back up one directory if a certain application launches and then backs up another directory if that same application is closed down. NFI where to start. It seems like cron isn't the tool for this because that is time based. I'm thinking I need... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: zorrokan
6 Replies

8. Programming

The application was unable to start correctly(0xc0150002).

Dear Team, please help me on the issue "The application was unable to start correctly(0xc0150002).click ok to close the application" Have created the build using installshield 2012. dll was generated from VS2008. Used 3rd party libraries.Included all the libraries,dll. This was the first tme... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SA_Palani
1 Replies
after(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  after(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
after - Execute a command after a time delay SYNOPSIS
after ms after ms ?script script script ...? after cancel id after cancel script script script ... after idle ?script script script ...? after info ?id? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command is used to delay execution of the program or to execute a command in background sometime in the future. It has several forms, depending on the first argument to the command: after ms Ms must be an integer giving a time in milliseconds. The command sleeps for ms milliseconds and then returns. While the command is sleeping the application does not respond to events. after ms ?script script script ...? In this form the command returns immediately, but it arranges for a Tcl command to be executed ms milliseconds later as an event handler. The command will be executed exactly once, at the given time. The delayed command is formed by concatenating all the script arguments in the same fashion as the concat command. The command will be executed at global level (outside the context of any Tcl procedure). If an error occurs while executing the delayed command then the bgerror mechanism is used to report the error. The after command returns an identifier that can be used to cancel the delayed command using after cancel. after cancel id Cancels the execution of a delayed command that was previously scheduled. Id indicates which command should be canceled; it must have been the return value from a previous after command. If the command given by id has already been executed then the after can- cel command has no effect. after cancel script script ... This command also cancels the execution of a delayed command. The script arguments are concatenated together with space separators (just as in the concat command). If there is a pending command that matches the string, it is cancelled and will never be executed; if no such command is currently pending then the after cancel command has no effect. after idle script ?script script ...? Concatenates the script arguments together with space separators (just as in the concat command), and arranges for the resulting script to be evaluated later as an idle callback. The script will be run exactly once, the next time the event loop is entered and there are no events to process. The command returns an identifier that can be used to cancel the delayed command using after can- cel. If an error occurs while executing the script then the bgerror mechanism is used to report the error. after info ?id? This command returns information about existing event handlers. If no id argument is supplied, the command returns a list of the identifiers for all existing event handlers created by the after command for this interpreter. If id is supplied, it specifies an existing handler; id must have been the return value from some previous call to after and it must not have triggered yet or been cancelled. In this case the command returns a list with two elements. The first element of the list is the script associated with id, and the second element is either idle or timer to indicate what kind of event handler it is. The after ms and after idle forms of the command assume that the application is event driven: the delayed commands will not be executed unless the application enters the event loop. In applications that are not normally event-driven, such as tclsh, the event loop can be entered with the vwait and update commands. SEE ALSO
bgerror(n), concat(n), update(n), vwait(n) KEYWORDS
cancel, delay, idle callback, sleep, time Tcl 7.5 after(n)