Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting remove multiple characters once Post 39039 by norsk hedensk on Monday 4th of August 2003 01:33:37 PM
Old 08-04-2003
remove multiple characters once

i have a variable in a bash shell script called $hostname.
$hostname will always be different except it will always start with "-s " that is a - an s and a space. so echo $hostname
will look like this:
-s somehostname.com

how can i get rid of the leading -s ? ive tried tr -d but that gets rid of every occurance of -s , and thats no good. how can iget rid of that just once ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to remove Characters before '~'

Hi, I am having a file which contains records as follows: DETAIL_KEY~12344|ACTIVE_PASSIVE~Y|AVG_SIZE_OF_RESPONSE~123123131 DETAIL_KEY~12344|ACTIVE_PASSIVE~Y|AVG_SIZE_OF_RESPONSE~123123131 DETAIL_KEY~12344|ACTIVE_PASSIVE~Y|AVG_SIZE_OF_RESPONSE~123123131... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amey Joshi
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

remove characters

hi i have a file with these strings: 123_abc_X1116990 how to get rid of 123_abc_ and keep only X1116990? I have columns of these: 123_abc_X1134640 123_dfg_X1100237 123_tyu_X1103112 123_tyui_X1116990 thx (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to remove '^M' characters from a file.

Hi guys, Hope you are all well. This is a line of data from a csv file. I have used vi and set the 'set list' option to display the trailing $ character. "01","Grocery","01006","eat Fish & Spreads"$ I have tried the following commands, but neither of them appear to be working? 1) tr... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Krispy
13 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Remove Special Characters

Dear Members, We have a file which contains some special characters. I need to replace these special character by a new line character(\n). The Special character is \x85. I am not sure what this character means and how we can remove it. Any inputs are greatly appreciated. Thanks... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeep_1105
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove special characters

hello all I am writing a perl code and i wish to remove the special characters for text. I wish to remove all extended ascii characters. If the list of special characters is huge, how can i do this using substitute command s/specialcharacters/null/g I really want to code like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasuarjula
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove characters from string

Hi I am new in shell scripting and i want to manipulate a string. I have a string tha looks like: /home/nteath/file.txt I want to remove everything until the last "/" , to keep only the filename. e.g. /home/nteath/file.txt output: file.txt Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nteath
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to remove characters from multiple .txt files

Friends, I want to remove charecters from multiple .txt files. Foe example : In this .txt files there are many "ctrl m" present in last of each line in one .txt file. I want to remove "ctrl m" from each line from all .txt files. Need your help regarding this. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: meetsubhas
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I remove ^M characters with VI

I have a file with all kinds of ^M at the end of each line. How the heck can these be removed? I tried a global search and replace, but it doesn't seem to work. Thanks! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: HmmBerger
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to remove first few characters from multiple file names without do loop?

Hi Fellows, I was wondering how I can remove first few characters from multiple file names without do loop in unix? e.g. water123.xyz water456.xyz to 123.xyz 456.xyz Thanks Paul Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paul Moghadam
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove first 2 characters and last two characters of each line

here's what im trying to do. i have a file containing lines similar to this: data.txt: 1hsRmRsbHRiSFZNTTA1dlEyMWFkbU5wUW5CSlIyeDFTVU5SYjJOSFRuWmpia0ZuWXpKV2FHTnRU 1lKUnpWMldrZFZaMG95V25oYQpSelEyWTBka2QyRklhSHBrUjA1b1kwUkJkd3BOVXpWM1lVaG5k... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
5 Replies
XSaveContext(3) 						  XLIB FUNCTIONS						   XSaveContext(3)

NAME
XSaveContext, XFindContext, XDeleteContext, XUniqueContext - associative look-up routines SYNTAX
int XSaveContext(Display *display, XID rid, XContext context, XPointer data); int XFindContext(Display *display, XID rid, XContext context, XPointer *data_return); int XDeleteContext(Display *display, XID rid, XContext context); XContext XUniqueContext(void); ARGUMENTS
context Specifies the context type to which the data belongs. data Specifies the data to be associated with the window and type. data_return Returns the data. display Specifies the connection to the X server. rid Specifies the resource ID with which the data is associated. DESCRIPTION
If an entry with the specified resource ID and type already exists, XSaveContext overrides it with the specified context. The XSaveContext function returns a nonzero error code if an error has occurred and zero otherwise. Possible errors are XCNOMEM (out of memory). Because it is a return value, the data is a pointer. The XFindContext function returns a nonzero error code if an error has occurred and zero otherwise. Possible errors are XCNOENT (context-not-found). The XDeleteContext function deletes the entry for the given resource ID and type from the data structure. This function returns the same error codes that XFindContext returns if called with the same arguments. XDeleteContext does not free the data whose address was saved. The XUniqueContext function creates a unique context type that may be used in subsequent calls to XSaveContext. SEE ALSO
Xlib - C Language X Interface X Version 11 libX11 1.5.0 XSaveContext(3)