Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Major Problem! i think
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Major Problem! i think Post 38371 by RTM on Tuesday 15th of July 2003 09:31:37 AM
Old 07-15-2003
From Sunsolve:

Quote:
Solaris[TM] sd driver taq queuing problems/sd_max_throttle

How does one fix SCSI disk tag queuing problem?

By setting sd_max_throttle, in /etc/system, to a lower value.

sd_max_throttle, a sd driver tunable parameter, determines the max
number of commands that can be queued up by sd to be submitted to the
HBA (Host Bus Adapter) driver. By default, sd_max_throttle is 256.
Since SCSI tag queuing, SCSI_OPTIONS_TAG (0x80), is enabled by default
in Solaris, when the disk controller is fully populated with targets
or having very fast disks (e.g., RAID devices), commands can be queued
up too fast (and reach the limit of 256) for sd driver to handle.
Once this condition is met, tagged command time-outs/retries or SCSI
transport failure messages often are displayed:

-> WARNING: /io-unit@f,e1200000/sbi@0,0/dma@0,81000/esp@0,80000 (esp1):
-> Disconnected tagged cmds (1) timeout for Target 1.0
-> WARNING: /io-unit@f,e1200000/sbi@0,0/dma@0,81000/esp@0,80000/sd@1,0 (sd16):
-> Error for command 'write' Error Level: Retryable
-> WARNING: /io-unit@f,e0200000/sbi@0,0/dma@0,81000/esp@0,80000/sd@3,0 (sd3):
-> SCSI transport failed: reason 'timeout': retrying command
-> WARNING: /io-unit@f,e0200000/sbi@0,0/dma@0,81000/esp@0,80000/sd@3,0 (sd3):
-> unix: SCSI transport failed: reason 'incomplete': retrying command

Setting sd_max_throttle to use a much smaller value, such as < 256, can fix
the problem.

To what value should sd_max_throttle be set? That depends on how many SCSI
targets are in the system. To have total queued commands < 100 can be a
workable rule (e.g., if there are 6 fast SCSI targets), and if sd_max_throttle
is set to be 16, the total queued commands can be 96. If tagged command
timeouts still are seen, then in /etc/system:

set sd:sd_max_throttle = 16
Suggest you go to Sunsolve and do a search as there is other information. If you have a contract with Sun (or if you are on warrenty), give them a call.

If not, post what OS/version, and the rest of the error message.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

major difference

guys, pls help me out. i hv good idea in redhat linux in what areas i need 2 concentrate 2 mk me much familiar with that of solaris. :confused: pls let me know the major diff found in these two os. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sriram.s
1 Replies

2. AIX

major no

hi what is meant by major no in vg what is meant by concurrent vg i cant understand these two things (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: senmak
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to filter out major and minor?

Hi, I have line like this : proj_name/module/trunk/module_1_0 where the first "1" refers to major version and second "0" refers to minor version. any AWK or command like that so that I can filter out the major and minor ? like major= command | input line minor= command |... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhaskar_m
4 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

Major Application

Hi there all I am going to be a new admin (AIX,Redhat,Suse, and Solaris). I know these OS's at basic to intermediate level..somewhat. i would like to know what are corporate level sys admin softwares that are commanly used day to day . i know its a broad question. but i just wanna know few... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dplinux
2 Replies

5. AIX

VG major number in HACMP

HI All, I would like to know is it compulsory to keep major number of shared VG's on cluster nodes to be same..? I have come across a situation where on one node major number of shared vg is the major number of altinst_rootvg on other node..how to overcome this situation..? shan (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: to_bsr
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Major File Reformat

Hello, I have many lengthy files that need to be reformatted. I was hoping a sed or awk script could fix this. Here is an example of the original format: P0037 # Degree: 32.999981 # COMMAND: 03 (#01A) Scale 1.296875, 52 (Wooden Crate w/ #2 Label, Bahko) v -3328.000000 12.101541 437.000000... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Blue Solo
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How major software is protected?

I am a new software developer and I wish to sell my software. I recently realized that from C++ code we can not stop the user seeing parts of the code that are related to scripts or system commands. Would you make some comments on how software written in C++/JAVA (distributed via CD-ROMs or... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frad
2 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

Major achievement ... applause!

Dear fellow *nixers, please join me congratulating Corona688 for reaching the lonesome, lorn landmark of 4500 thanks! What an achievement in the gruelling ordeal of servicing these fora. Incredible. All the best RĂ¼diger (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: RudiC
9 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

Major Changes in New UserCP (v0.63) Prototype

Regarding the latest version of the UserCP prototype (version 0.63) I have made a lot of major changes, including Added a "Posts Timeline" table for the recent posts, complimenting the non-table version earlier, which has been moved off the main menu (link at the bottom of the table). Added a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
4 Replies
sf(7D)								      Devices								    sf(7D)

NAME
sf - SOC+ FC-AL FCP Driver SYNOPSIS
sf@port,0 DESCRIPTION
The sf driver is a SCSA compliant nexus driver which supports the Fibre Channel Protocol for SCSI on Private Fibre Channel Arbitrated loops. An SBus card called the SOC+ card (see socal(7D)) connects the Fibre Channel loop to the host system. The sf driver interfaces with the SOC+ device driver, socal(7D), the SCSI disk target driver, ssd(7D), and the SCSI-3 Enclosure Services driver, ses(7D). It only supports SCSI devices of type disk and ses. The sf driver supports the standard functions provided by the SCSA interface. The driver supports auto request sense and tagged queueing by default. The driver requires that all devices have unique hard addresses defined by switch settings in hardware. Devices with conflicting hard addresses will not be accessible. FILES
/platform/architecture/kernel/drv/sf ELF kernel module /platform/architecture/kernel/drv/sf.conf sf driver configuration file ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Architecture |SPARC | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
luxadm(1M), prtconf(1M), driver.conf(4), socal(7D), ssd(7D) Writing Device Drivers ANSI X3.272-1996, Fibre Channel Arbitrated Loop (FC-AL) ANSI X3.269-1996, Fibre Channel Protocol for SCSI (FCP) ANSI X3.270-1996, SCSI-3 Architecture Model (SAM) Fibre Channel Private Loop SCSI Direct Attach (FC-PLDA) DIAGNOSTICS
In addition to being logged, the messages below may display on the system console. The first set of messages indicate that the attachment was unsuccessful, and will only display while the sf driver is initially attempting to attach. Each message is preceded by sf%d , where %d is the instance number of the sf device. Failed to alloc soft state Driver was unable to allocate space for the internal state structure. Driver did not attach to device, SCSI devices will be inaccessi- ble. Bad soft state Driver requested an invalid internal state structure. Driver did not attach to device, SCSI devices will be inaccessible. Failed to obtain transport handle Driver was unable to obtain a transport handle to communicate with the socal driver. Driver did not attach to device, SCSI devices will be inaccessible Failed to allocate command/response pool Driver was unable to allocate space for commands and responses. Driver did not attach to device, SCSI devices will be inaccessible. Failed to allocate kmem cache Driver was unable to allocate space for the packet cache. Driver did not attach to device, SCSI devices will be inaccessible. Failed to allocate dma handle for Driver was unable to allocate a dma handle for the loop map. Driver did not attach to device, SCSI devices will be inaccessible. Failed to allocate lilp map Driver was unable to allocate space for the loop map. Driver did not attach to device, SCSI devices will be inaccessible. Failed to bind dma handle for Driver was unable to bind a dma handle for the loop map. Driver did not attach to device, SCSI devices will be inaccessible. Failed to attach Driver was unable to attach for some reason that may be printed. Driver did not attach to device, SCSI devices will be inaccessible. The next set of messages may display at any time. The full device pathname, followed by the shorter form described above, will precede the message. Invalid lilp map The driver did not obtain a valid lilp map from the socal driver. SCSI device will be inaccessible. Target t, AL-PA x and hard The device with a switch setting t has an AL-PA x which does not match its hard address y. The device will not be accessible. Duplicate switch settings The driver detected devices with the same switch setting. All such devices will be inaccessible. WWN changed on target t The World Wide Name (WWN) has changed on the device with switch setting t. Target t, unknown device type The driver does not know the device type reported by the device with switch setting t. SunOS 5.11 27 Mar 1997 sf(7D)