Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming C program to kill root processes Post 38358 by Perderabo on Monday 14th of July 2003 08:23:23 PM
Old 07-14-2003
Well, I agree with you....if the effective uid is root it should work.

If you are finding that it doesn't work, you must have a bug in your program.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

kill all processes

i have a very short file that has in it a line for a find command. now, when i run this script and I kill the script later, using the ps -ef | grep scriptname. i noticed kill -9 kills the script itself but does not kill the internal find command that it gave birth to. say theres a file... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Terrible
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Kill processes

Hi guys, I am new to Unix shell scripting. Can anyone of you tell me how to kill all the processes at a time for a particular user?(No listing the process ID of each process in the kill -9 command). Thanks in Advance, -Hary (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tadi18
5 Replies

3. Solaris

how do I kill defunct processes?

mqm 17700 16815 0 0:00 <defunct> kill -9 does not work, even as root (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: csaunders
10 Replies

4. Solaris

kill processes

how to kill the processes of aperticular user? because i have nearly 25000 process are there for perticular user. i need to kill. Please provide the information? Regards, Rajesh (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmrajesh21
3 Replies

5. Solaris

kill the processes seen under ptree

Hi, How to kill the processes running under ptree ? I am noticing lot of processes running under ptree with ssh ? I tried to kill with -9 option which is not working ? Thanks, Radhika. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: radhirk
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help to kill parent and all of its sub processes

Hi, I am writing korn shell script. My requirement is, i have to kill the parent process and all of its child processes. Can some one please help me on this? Thanks in advance for your help.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sheethal
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill processes

for i in 'ps -f | grep textedit' do kill $i done I wrote this but it wont work. I am trying to find processes and kill them. Any help would be welcome. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hawaiifiver
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

kill all user processes

Hi there, i've been searching all over and i thought i had understood the way i should go to kill all the processes related to a user. But i'm getting more confused then i was. By lunch time i have to make a database backup, and for that all the users shoul logout. The problem is that many users... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vascobrito
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

kill multiple processes by name

Want to kill multiple processes by name. for the example below, I want to kill all 'proxy-stagerd_copy' processes. I tried this but didn't work: >> ps -ef|grep proxy_copy root 991 986 0 14:45:34 ? 0:04 proxy-stagerd root 1003 991 0 14:45:49 ? 0:01... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: catalinawinemxr
2 Replies

10. AIX

Kill multiple processes ran by root

Hi all, I have about 5-6 daemons specific to my application running in the background. I am trying to write a script to stop them. Usually, I run them as a non-root ID, which is fine. But for some reason the client insists on using root. I do have sudo. I just tried something like this ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffs42885
4 Replies
SETUID(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 SETUID(2)

NAME
setuid - set user identity SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <unistd.h> int setuid(uid_t uid); DESCRIPTION
setuid() sets the effective user ID of the calling process. If the effective UID of the caller is root, the real UID and saved set-user-ID are also set. Under Linux, setuid() is implemented like the POSIX version with the _POSIX_SAVED_IDS feature. This allows a set-user-ID (other than root) program to drop all of its user privileges, do some un-privileged work, and then reengage the original effective user ID in a secure man- ner. If the user is root or the program is set-user-ID-root, special care must be taken. The setuid() function checks the effective user ID of the caller and if it is the superuser, all process-related user ID's are set to uid. After this has occurred, it is impossible for the program to regain root privileges. Thus, a set-user-ID-root program wishing to temporarily drop root privileges, assume the identity of an unprivileged user, and then regain root privileges afterwards cannot use setuid(). You can accomplish this with seteuid(2). RETURN VALUE
On success, zero is returned. On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
EAGAIN The uid does not match the current uid and uid brings process over its RLIMIT_NPROC resource limit. EPERM The user is not privileged (Linux: does not have the CAP_SETUID capability) and uid does not match the real UID or saved set-user-ID of the calling process. CONFORMING TO
SVr4, POSIX.1-2001. Not quite compatible with the 4.4BSD call, which sets all of the real, saved, and effective user IDs. NOTES
Linux Notes Linux has the concept of file system user ID, normally equal to the effective user ID. The setuid() call also sets the file system user ID of the calling process. See setfsuid(2). If uid is different from the old effective uid, the process will be forbidden from leaving core dumps. SEE ALSO
getuid(2), seteuid(2), setfsuid(2), setreuid(2), capabilities(7), credentials(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2010-02-21 SETUID(2)