Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: simple sed query
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers simple sed query Post 38218 by schmark on Wednesday 9th of July 2003 01:04:29 PM
Old 07-09-2003
simple sed query

hi,

i would like to replace a string in a series of files with another string, without outputting to new files. is this possible?

i've tried using sed, and started by trying to alter the contents of one file...

sed 's/string1/string2/g' file.txt

but while this does the replacement on screen, the file is not altered.

any ideas...please? and how could i get this to work on *.txt?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed query..

hi, I have an xml file and I need to replace the tags with different names all at a time here is what I have <cevalue> <cevalue1> <cevalue2> <cevalue3> <cevalue4> <cevalue5> and I need these like these... <cevalue> <cevalue> <cevalue> <cevalue> <cevalue> <cevalue> I tried a few but... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mgirinath
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed query

I have a series of folders /temp/a /temp/b /temp/c In folders a, b, and c, I have files a1.txt..........a20.txt b1.txt..........b40.txt & c1.txt..........c60.txt Each file has the same data format :- Line 1 AAAAA aaaa Line 2 BBB bbbbbb Line 3 CCCC cccccc Etc etc I need to write a... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: grinder182533
13 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple loop query

Hi All Just started with shell scripts and am stumped by, what is to most of you no doubt, a simple issue. All I'm trying to do is prompt a user for input and writing to a log file. If the user types the word 'stop', then the program should halt. If the word typed is 'clear', then the log file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kutz13
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

A simple query on unix shell script

I want to write a script to go to particular path in file and run shell script from there. what will be shell script for the same. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar_ssm
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

query on sed

I have done a script using sed which replaces a string in file. I face 2 problems, while using sed command. 1)last line of the file is missing. 2)if i am are using wild card character in the command, Its not taking the next matching pattern ie if I am giving the pattern abc*def to be replaced... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: iceiceice
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help !!! simple query

Dear, I have a alarm text file, containing minor and major alarms, i am intrested in Mojor alarm with its alarm header and next four lines in seperate file.... Can anybody help me with this below is the alarm file output. :SEV="MAJOR": Object-Instance % unit-type % bts nbr % 25 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Danish Shakil
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed query

I have a sed query. There is a line which has tilde and I want to separate this line using sed. The line is: ABP_ETC_ROOT=~xdmadm The query to get this line is: sed -n '/\(.*\)~\(.*\)/p' infile I want to get xdmadm from this line and I am using this sed command: sed -n... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: som.nitk
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED Query

Hi all, I am trying to use SED to input lines to a file in a specific place. So far I have; sed '/#NewEntry/ i\Insert this line' myfile.txt The output is printing to screen correctly but what is the best way to write it back to the file without overwriting everything? I tried adding >... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: JayC89
6 Replies

9. Programming

A simple C program query ...

Given the following code inside the function ext3_write_super(): (It's there in Linux kernel 2.6.27.59) static void ext3_write_super (struct super_block * sb) { if (mutex_trylock(&sb->s_lock) != 0) BUG(); sb->s_dirt = 0; } The conditional test at if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Praveen_218
2 Replies

10. Programming

Oracle simple SQL query result in: ORA-08103: object no longer exists

Dear community, please help with a query on Oracle. I'm using SQLPlus (but with SQLDeveloper is the same) to accamplish a sinple query like: select count(*) from ARCHIT_D_TB where (TYP_ID=22 OR TYP_ID=23) and SUB_TM like '%SEP%' and CONS=1234This is a very simple query that works perfect until... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lord Spectre
5 Replies
SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					       SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-subst - GNU shtool sed(1) substitution operations SYNOPSIS
shtool subst [-v|--verbose] [-t|--trace] [-n|--nop] [-w|--warning] [-q|--quiet] [-s|--stealth] [-i|--interactive] [-b|--backup ext] [-e|--exec cmd] [-f|--file cmd-file] [file] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
This command applies one or more sed(1) substitution operations to stdin or any number of files. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -n, --nop No operation mode. Actual execution of the essential shell commands which would be executed is suppressed. -w, --warning Show warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change on every file. The default is to show a warning on substitution operations resulted in no content change on all files. -q, --quiet Suppress warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change. -s, --stealth Stealth operation. Preserve timestamp on file. -i, --interactive Enter interactive mode where the user has to approve each operation. -b, --backup ext Preserve backup of original file using file name extension ext. Default is to overwrite the original file. -e, --exec cmd Specify sed(1) command directly. -f, --file cmd-file Read sed(1) command from file. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool subst -i -e 's;(c) ([0-9]*)-2000;(c) 1-2001;' *.[ch] # RPM spec-file %install shtool subst -v -n -e 's;^(prefix=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix};g' -e 's;^(sysconfdir=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix}/etc;g' `find . -name Makefile -print` make install HISTORY
The GNU shtool subst command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 2001 for GNU shtool. It was prompted by the need to have a uniform and convenient patching frontend to sed(1) operations in the OpenPKG package specifications. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), sed(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)