Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: root env
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers root env Post 38199 by minazk on Wednesday 9th of July 2003 07:27:46 AM
Old 07-09-2003
Try ls -a in the root's home directory ( probably / ) to see if the .profile file exists since it is a hidden file.

If it does not exists then you should copy /etc/skel/local.profile ( which is a template file ) to the root's home directory & rename it to .profile & make the required changes to take effect.

Hope it helps.
minazk

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

PWD env variable for root

How do you get the $PWD env variable set for root? I know it's automatic for korn and other shells, but root uses /usr/bin/sh. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bcole23
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run non-root script as root with non-root environment

All, I want to run a non-root script as the root user with non-root environment variables with crontab. The non-root user would have environment variables for database access such as Oracle or Sybase. The root user does not have the Oracle or Sybase enviroment variables. I thought you could do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bubba112557
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding command line env in cron env

Hello friends, i run two scripts manually & they work. i run them in cron & they don work. how to match the two env's 1.command line env 2.cron env i would like cron to use command line env. Thanks & Regards Abhijeet (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhijeetkul
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Root ENV is different from users', how to change?

Hello, I'm working on a Solaris 9 machine. I found the root's environment variables (say, $PATH, $ORACLE_HOME, big problem) were set differently from the users'. All regular users use C shell now and share the same environment file stored in /usr/local/config/cshrc.default. Should I just use... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alanlh
4 Replies

5. AIX

Can't login root account due to can't find root shell

Hi, yesterday, I changed root's shell in /etc/passwd, cause a mistake then I can not log in root account (can't find correct shell). I attempted to log in single-mode, however, it prompted for single-mode's password then I type root's password but still can not log in. I'm using AIX 5L version 5.2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: neikel
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to allow access to some commands having root privleges to be run bu non root user

hi i am new to unix and i have abig task. i have to \run particular commands having root privileges from a non root user. i know sudo is one of the way but i need sum other approach kindly help Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryashikha
5 Replies

7. Web Development

Deny from env=env-variable Does not work

(Above from Apache docs). On my system, using: SetEnvIf User-Agent Mozilla IsBad=1 Order allow,deny Allow from all Deny from env=IsBad ...I see that environment variable is set (using phpinfo()) but the page is still served. No errors in the Apache logs. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gnurob
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Migration of system having UFS root FS with zones root to ZFS root FS

Hi All After downloading ZFS documentation from oracle site, I am able to successfully migrate UFS root FS without zones to ZFS root FS. But in case of UFS root file system with zones , I am successfully able to migrate global zone to zfs root file system but zone are still in UFS root file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb200
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find users with root UID or GID or root home

I need to list users in /etc/passwd with root's GID or UID or /root as home directory If we have these entries in /etc/passwd root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash rootgooduser1:x:100:100::/home/gooduser1:/bin/bash baduser1:x:0:300::/home/baduser1:/bin/bash... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil510
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can you gain root privileges if the suid program does not belong to root?

I had a question in my test which asked where suppose user B has a program with 's' bit set. Can user A run this program and gain root privileges in any way? I suppose not as the suid program run with privileges of owner and this program will run with B's privileges and not root. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: syncmaster
1 Replies
INSTALL-MH(8)                                                        [nmh-1.5]                                                       INSTALL-MH(8)

NAME
install-mh - initialize the nmh environment SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/mh/install-mh [-auto] [-check] [-version] [-help] DESCRIPTION
Install-mh is the nmh program to create the initial setup for a first-time nmh user. Install-mh lives in two places for historical rea- sons. The -auto option does things as automatically as possible and makes install-mh less chatty. The user is asked for the name of the directory that will be designated as the user's nmh directory. If this directory does not exist, the user is asked if it should be created. Normally, this directory should be under the user's home directory, and has the default name of ``Mail''. Install-mh writes an initial .mh_profile for the user. As with all nmh commands, install-mh first checks for the existence of the $MH environment variable since that gives the profile path if set. If it isn't set, the $HOME environment variable is consulted to determine the user's home directory. If $HOME is not set, then the /etc/passwd file is consulted. When creating the users initial .mh_profile, install-mh will check for the existence of a global profile /etc/nmh/mh.profile. If found, this will be used to initialize the new .mh_profile. The -check option can be used to check whether or not nmh has been installed. This can be used by other programs to determine whether or not nmh has been installed without their having to know the internals of nmh. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile /etc/nmh/mh.profile Used to initialize user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To set the user's nmh directory CONTEXT
With -auto, the current folder is changed to "inbox". MH.6.8 11 June 2012 INSTALL-MH(8)