Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sed to end of line
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers sed to end of line Post 38120 by oombera on Monday 7th of July 2003 02:08:40 PM
Old 07-07-2003
Try: sed 's/PROD.*$/TEST/g' < FILE > NEWFILE

The thing you have to remember is that with sed, the asterisk doesn't mean "one or more characters" - it means "one or more of whatever character comes before me". Therefore, your sed command is actually looking for PRO[zero or more D's][end of line], which would match PRO, PROD, or PRODDDD.

However, the decimal point is the wildcard character meaning "any character", so the combination of .* means zero or more characters.
This User Gave Thanks to oombera For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using sed to append text to the end of each line

Anyone know how to use SED to append a comma to the end of each line example: field1,field2,field3,field4 If i Cat /textfile ---- How can i append the end of /textfile with a comman? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Redg
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete to end of line with SED

I have a file with a bunch of similar lines in which I want to extract a phrase delimited by the first occurance of a '>' at the beginning and the first occurance of a '<' at the end (you might have guessed these are beginning/end of HTML tags). Using Sed I have managed to delete up to and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: coldcanuck
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using sed to extract a substring at end of line

This is the line that I am using: sed 's/^*\({3}*$\)/\1 /' <test.txt >results.txt and suppose that test.txt contains the following lines: http://www.example.com/200904/AUS.txt http://www.example.com/200903/_RUS.txt http://www.example.com/200902/.FRA.txt What I expected to see in results.txt... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed issue with end of line

Example, Trying to replace text to the end of a line. Text file looks like this PP= 4 PP= 412 PP= 425 I want to replace only the following line: PP= 4 with PP= 2 How can this be done with sed? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hanson397
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to use sed to add some parameters at the end of the line

Hello All, I have a doubt in sed, i want to add some parameter at the end of the tag inside a xml tag. how to i do that. so i want to add Results="true" value="high" inside the xml tag. Orignal <execute description="reboot"> <execute description="Stop Servlet"> After adding the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: asirohi
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed : replace space and end-of-line

Hi ! I'm rather new with sed ... learned a lot already by googling etc ... The following script should replace all spaces and ends-of-lines with "something (see below). #!/bin/bash i=0 while read line do fam="H`printf "%06d" $i`" echo $line | sed -e 's//\t'$fam'\n/g' i=$(($i+1))... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jossojjos
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing end of line using SED

Hello Friends, How can I remove the last two values of this line using sed John Carey:507-699-5368:29 Albert way, Edmonton, AL 25638:9/3/90:45900 The result should look like this: John Carey:507-699-5368:29 Albert way, Edmonton, AL 25638 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: humkhn
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed removing until end of line

All: Can somebody help me out with a sed command, which removes the the first occurance of ')' until the end of the line If I have the following input ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: BeefStu
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to put text end of line

how to use sed to put .txt end of line..my input file below file1 make=^bak12^". DEV=LONG^cmd/usr/bak/ade4^" ..................................... file 2 make=^and_LONG/bak12^". DEV=LONG^cmd/usr/bak/ban3^" .......................................... file 3... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: zulabc
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search from a line to end of list using sed

Dear Unix Experts :), Below is a small section of a large file with the following list: 1. Starts with string " interest" as the heading 2. Followed by a list of activities 3. Ends with a blank line before starting with another different list. E.g. Sporting interest football... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: gjackson123
13 Replies
REGEXP(6)							   Games Manual 							 REGEXP(6)

NAME
regexp - regular expression notation DESCRIPTION
A regular expression specifies a set of strings of characters. A member of this set of strings is said to be matched by the regular expression. In many applications a delimiter character, commonly bounds a regular expression. In the following specification for regular expressions the word `character' means any character (rune) but newline. The syntax for a regular expression e0 is e3: literal | charclass | '.' | '^' | '$' | '(' e0 ')' e2: e3 | e2 REP REP: '*' | '+' | '?' e1: e2 | e1 e2 e0: e1 | e0 '|' e1 A literal is any non-metacharacter, or a metacharacter (one of .*+?[]()|^$), or the delimiter preceded by A charclass is a nonempty string s bracketed [s] (or [^s]); it matches any character in (or not in) s. A negated character class never matches newline. A substring a-b, with a and b in ascending order, stands for the inclusive range of characters between a and b. In s, the metacharacters an initial and the regular expression delimiter must be preceded by a other metacharacters have no special meaning and may appear unescaped. A matches any character. A matches the beginning of a line; matches the end of the line. The REP operators match zero or more (*), one or more (+), zero or one (?), instances respectively of the preceding regular expression e2. A concatenated regular expression, e1e2, matches a match to e1 followed by a match to e2. An alternative regular expression, e0|e1, matches either a match to e0 or a match to e1. A match to any part of a regular expression extends as far as possible without preventing a match to the remainder of the regular expres- sion. SEE ALSO
awk(1), ed(1), sam(1), sed(1), regexp(2) REGEXP(6)