Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash passes flags to shell wrong Post 38073 by andyj on Sunday 6th of July 2003 09:58:09 PM
Old 07-06-2003
The plot thickens

I had an idea to debug this , im breaking it right down to basics

When I execute this from a script in the same directory as the given .jpg file it WORKS

echo I am doing this from a script
convert ‐resize 120x120 apache.jpg apachetn.jpg

But when I put the filenames into variables

searchfile="apache.jpg"
tndir="apachetn.jpg"
echo I am a script that uses variables
echo $searchfile
echo $tndir
convert ‐resize 120x120 $searchfile $tndir

IT FAILS

convert: Unable to open file (‐resize) [No such file or directory].
convert: Unable to open file (120x120) [No such file or directory].

btw it makes no difference if the variables are quoted or not

So my logic tells me that the last two vars are getting lost completely and hence convert is taking -resize and 120x120 to be the filenames

???

very confused

Last edited by andyj; 07-06-2003 at 11:04 PM..

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

what's wrong with my bash script?

hi, please point out what's wrong with my script. im feeding it a list containing fqdn, sit should ssh into each and verify that atleast one of its virtual backup ip resolves into one of its virtual hostnames .. anyway the objective shows in the script... however, im having problems in the ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ikk
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if parameter passes in contains certain string

Hi Guys, I am writing a Unix script which accepts a directory path as parameter $1 so something like /user5.data/WA/01 will be passed in. I want to determine if the directory path passed in contains "WA" as above (because then I need to do something specific if it does) What is the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bcunney
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please help to fingure out what wrong with my tomcat restarting bash script

Hi, I am a nbee to Unix, I have used following script to check my tomcat is running or not and restart if it down. but actually it restart my tomcat each time running even my tomcat still running fine: Script that can run a check and perform an action if the check fails ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: quyennd
1 Replies

4. AIX

find {start} -ls - Two Passes?

I have a "find {start} -ls" command listing all files and dirs in on the whole filesystem. As part of this it lists locations that contain temporary files and, sometimes when executing, it identifies a file but produces an ERROR when trying to list it. ERROR thrown: find: bad status--... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: apiggott
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash conditional | getting logic wrong?

I have a file cat <<EOF > /tmp/test Line one Line two Line three EOF Now I am trying to get the exit stat ($?) of 1 if any text is found and 0 if any text is not found using grep, i.e. just reversing the exit status of grep # (snippet 1) this one is not working!!! retval $?... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: the_gripmaster
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

What's wrong with my bash code?

I want to let sleep 3 in the background and echo $i pkglists="a b c d e f g" f() { local i set -- $pkglists && ((i +=2)) && sleep 3 &;echo $i } f (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
3 Replies
BASHBUG(1)							      bashbug								BASHBUG(1)

NAME
bashbug - report a bug in bash SYNOPSIS
bashbug [--help] [--version] [bug-report-email-addresses] DESCRIPTION
bashbug is a utility for reporting bugs in Bash to the maintainers. bashbug will start up your preferred editor with a preformatted bug report template for you to fill in. Save the file and quit the editor once you have completed the missing fields. bashbug will notify you of any problems with the report and ask for confirmation before sending it. By default the bug report is mailed to both the GNU developers and the Debian Bash maintainers. The recipients can be changed by giving a comma separated list of bug-report-email-addresses. If you invoke bashbug by accident, just quit your editor. You will always be asked for confirmation before a bug report is sent. OPTIONS
--help Show a brief usage message and exit. --version Show the version of bashbug and exit. bug-report-email-addresses Comma separated list of recipients' email addresses. By default the report is mailed to both the GNU developers and the Debian Bash maintainers. ENVIRONMENT
DEFEDITOR Editor to use for editing the bug report. EDITOR Editor to use for editing the bug report (overridden by DEFEDITOR). SEE ALSO
bash(1), reportbug(1), update-alternatives(8) for preferred editor. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Christer Andersson <klamm@comhem.se> for the Debian project (but may be used by others). GNU Bash 3.1 11 December 2007 BASHBUG(1)