Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Howto convert Ascii -> UTF-8 & back C++ Post 37951 by Perderabo on Wednesday 2nd of July 2003 05:29:18 PM
Old 07-02-2003
I'm not sure if this is what you're asking, but you can cast a char to an int.

char c;
c='A';
printf("%d \n", (int) c);

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Convert UTF-8 encoded hex value to a character

Hi, I have a non-ascii character (Ŵ), which can be represented in UTF-8 encoding as equivalent hex value (\xC5B4). Is there a function in unix to convert this hex value back to display the charcter ? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumirmehta
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert ascii values into ascii characters

Hi gurus, I have a file in unix with ascii values. I need to convert all the ascii values in the file to ascii characters. File contains nearly 20000 records with ascii values. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeeppvk
10 Replies

3. Red Hat

Can't convert 7bit ASCII to UTF-8

Hello, I am trying to convert a 7bit ASCII file to UTF-8. I have used iconv before though it can't recognize it for some reason and says unknown file encoding. When I used ascii2uni package with different package, ./ascii2uni -a K -a I -a J -a X test_file > new_test_file It still... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockf1bull
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ASCII to UTF-8 conversion

I Am trying to change the file encoding from ASCII to UTF-8 using below command iconv -f ASCII -t UTF-8 <input_file> > <output_file> But the output_file is not actually in UTF-8 format. If I use the file command to check the file encoding it still says ASCII. While converting am not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sriranga
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash shell script: Str(007) to int(7),increment it(8) & convert back to string(008)

Hi, I have the following requirement. There will be following text/line in a file (eg: search-build.txt) PRODUCT_VERSION="V:01.002.007.Build1234" I need to update the incremental build number (eg here 007) every time I give a build through script. I am able to search the string and get... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: drwatson_droid
4 Replies

6. Linux

Help to Convert file from UNIX UTF-8 to Windows UTF-16

Hi, I have tried to convert a UTF-8 file to windows UTF-16 format file as below from unix machine unix2dos < testing.txt | iconv -f UTF-8 -t UTF-16 > out.txt and i am getting some chinese characters as below which l opened the converted file on windows machine. LANG=en_US.UTF-8... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phanidhar6039
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to convert utf-8 to WINDOWS-1251

Hello all i have utf-8 file that i try to convert to WINDOWS-1251 on linux without any success the file name is utf-8 when i try to do : file -bi test.txt it gives me : text/plain; charset=utf-8 when i try to convert the file i do : /usr/bin/iconv -f UTF-8 -t WINDOWS-1251 test.txt >... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert UTF-8 file to ASCII/ISO8859-1 OR replace characters

I am trying to develop a script which will work on a source UTF-8 file and perform one or more of the following It will accept the target encoding as an argument e.g. US-ASCII or ISO-8859-1, etc 1. It should replace all occurrences of characters outside target character set by " " (space) or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemkiran.s
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Hex to Ascii in a Ascii file

Hi All, I have an ascii file in which few columns are having hex values which i need to convert into ascii. Kindly suggest me what command can be used in unix shell scripting? Thanks in Advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: HemaV
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Convert files to UTF-8 on AIX 7.1

Dears, I have a shell script - working perfectly on Oracle Linux - that detects the encoding (the charset to be exact) of the files in a specified directory using the "file" command (The file command outputs the charset in Linux, but doesn't do that in AIX), then if the file isn't a UTF-8 text... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JeanM-1
4 Replies
XPRINTF(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						XPRINTF(3)

NAME
asxprintf, dxprintf, fxprintf, sxprintf, xprintf, vasxprintf, vdxprintf, vfxprintf, vsxprintf, vxprintf -- extensible printf SYNOPSIS
#include <printf.h> int asxprintf(char ** restrict ret, printf_domain_t restrict domain, locale_t restrict loc, const char * restrict format, ...); int dxprintf(int fd, printf_domain_t restrict domain, locale_t restrict loc, const char * restrict format, ...); int fxprintf(FILE * restrict stream, printf_domain_t restrict domain, locale_t restrict loc, const char * restrict format, ...); int sxprintf(char * restrict str, size_t size, printf_domain_t restrict domain, locale_t restrict loc, const char * restrict format, ...); int xprintf(printf_domain_t restrict domain, locale_t restrict loc, const char * restrict format, ...); #include <stdarg.h> int vasxprintf(char ** restrict ret, printf_domain_t restrict domain, locale_t restrict loc, const char * restrict format, va_list ap); int vdxprintf(int fd, printf_domain_t restrict domain, locale_t restrict loc, const char * restrict format, va_list ap); int vfxprintf(FILE * restrict stream, printf_domain_t restrict domain, locale_t restrict loc, const char * restrict format, va_list ap); int vsxprintf(char * restrict str, size_t size, printf_domain_t restrict domain, locale_t restrict loc, const char * restrict format, va_list ap); int vxprintf(printf_domain_t restrict domain, locale_t restrict loc, const char * restrict format, va_list ap); DESCRIPTION
These extensible printf (see xprintf(5)) variants behave like their normal printf counterparts (see printf(3)) without 'x' in the name (except sxprintf() and vsxprintf() behave like snprintf() and vsnprintf(), respectively). The domain argument must be a pointer to a printf domain structure, as returned by one of the functions described in xprintf_domain(3). The loc argument should be an extended locale (see xlocale(3)) or NULL, which means to use the current locale in effect (either the per-thread locale if set, or the global locale by default). SEE ALSO
printf(3), xlocale(3), xprintf_domain(3), xprintf(5) Darwin Aug 19, 2012 Darwin