Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: SCO Unix V/386 Help
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers SCO Unix V/386 Help Post 3793 by jimmyvaldes on Wednesday 11th of July 2001 02:44:04 PM
Old 07-11-2001
Data SCO Unix V/386 Help

I'm new in this..
I want to install SCO Unix in a Intel 166Mhz with 1GB HDD.
I have the fowllowing disks with labels:

-1 disk of SCO Unix System v/386 Operation system Installation.

-2 disks of SCO Unix System v/386 Operation system (extended Utilities)

-6 disks of SCO Unix System v/386 Operation system Extended utilities

- 1 Disk of SCO Unix ODT-PS Security enhancement
- 1 Disk SCO system Games
- 1 Disk of Operation system International supplement

Do i need a Boot disk????
What kind of partition must have my Hard disk?
how can i boot the pc to install this O.S.?

Smilie Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX for 386 SX 4MB RAM

How, where from and which UNIX or LINUX can I download so that I can use it normally working on 386 SX 4MB RAM. I want to use only its basic functions and C and C++ compiler on it. I need it for my studies. P.S I need a stable UNIX or LINUX including a full set of functions of C... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Traiancho
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sco Unix V/386

where can i get a boot diskette for my old SCO UNIX V/386 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LEO P. CAPARAS
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SCO UNIX System V/386, Release 3.2

I was just wondering if there is a way to recursive grep for something in this version of UNIX... so that I don't have to do it a directory at a time? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: PBNOSGT
1 Replies

4. Programming

do you have unix for 386

hello!i have a 8 year old computer.it's 386dx, 40mhz,4mb edo ram,and it has 400mb hd.i'm looking for unix or linux which can work on my computer.if you know where can i find it please help me.if you have one please send it to ilovebasic@yahoo.com. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kfjfgkþo
4 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Where can I find a Unix OS that will run on a 386 processor?

Hey, can anyone recommend a URL (or website) where I can download a basic (or old) UNIX OS that will run on an ancient laptop that has a 386 processor, 4MB of RAM and a 40MB harddrive? Your help and suggestions are much appreciated! :confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: methudrez
4 Replies

6. SCO

sco unix v/386 boot disk

anyone know where I can download or get a boot disk for sco unix v/386? I have an old PC running sco unix v/386 3.2. I dont have an install or boot disk. I need to reset the root password. I have looked all over the internet and cannot find it anywhere. any help would be greatly appreciated.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: format
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UNIX 386 & HPUX

We have a C program which does the encryption and decryption. It is running fine in UNIX 386. But the same C program is giving different results in HP UX server. We found that the Ascii codes (output) are different. I don;t know why it is giving different results. How can we get the same output... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajeshsu
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What version of unix for a 386

I have already learned everything possible from windows or all that I at least care to learn and am now looking to move onto unix. My problem is that I have never used unix nor do I know anyone who has. If anyone could give any clues to what version/make of unix would be best on an old 386 box then... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tabodi
7 Replies

9. SCO

Sco unix v/386 3.2 problem boot and install

Hi i have a problem after boot with N1 disk and putting N2 disk and pressing the enter in this message:Insert N2(filesystem) floppy and press after by this(pressing enter) the system is reboot!! why??? :confused: my old pc is a Pentium II 333mhz 3gb hd 64mb ram please help!! :( (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: panos_pit
3 Replies

10. SCO

SCO System V/386 R3.2 V4.0 disk B2 needed

Hi to all! I'm new here. Recently I bought an Olivetti M400/10 with SCO System V/386 R3.2 V4.0 installed, complete with all disks and manuals. Checking the distribution disks however I found that disk labeled B2 was unreadable. Does anyone have an image of this disk? I wish to do a clean... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisechip
7 Replies
voldiskadm(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     voldiskadm(8)

NAME
voldiskadm - Menu interface for LSM disk administration SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/voldiskadm DESCRIPTION
The voldiskadm script is an interactive tool that presents a menu of possible operations to the user. When an operation is selected, the script guides the user through the necessary steps, and prompts for data needed to complete the operation. The voldiskadm interface is intended mainly for beginning users and for those who prefer a simple method for doing common operations. The interface uses query-based prompts to gather input, with defaults supplied when possible. Context-sensitive help is available at every prompt by typing ?. Also, a list option can be used to get information on available target disks for an operation. For operations that require a device name, one or more names can be specified using a space-separated list. Names in the list can have the form dskn or rdskn (for an entire disk) or dsknp or rdsknp (for a specific disk partition). Disk names relate directly to device names in the /dev/disk and /dev/rdisk directories. The file, /etc/vol/disks.exclude, may be used to exclude disks from use by voldiskadm. Each line of the file specifies the name of a disk to exclude (for example, dsk5). The voldiskadm menu includes the following options: Add or initialize one or more disks This option prompts for one or more disk device addresses. The specified disks can be added to an existing disk group, added to a new disk group, added to a disk group as spares, or initialized but not added to a disk group (reserved for use as replacement disks). After specifying the disks, the user is prompted for a disk group (rootdg by default) and a disk name. If no name is specified, a default disk name is assigned (diskn for disks in the rootdg disk group and diskgroupn for disks in other disk groups). The disks are then checked to ensure that there is no information already on them. If there is, the user is given the option of encapsulating the disks. Encapsulate one or more disks This option prompts for one or more disk addresses. It then calls volencap to encapsulate the specified partitions. Remove a disk This option prompts for a disk, by disk media name. The disk is checked to ensure that no subdisks reside on the disk. If the disk is in use, the operation fails with a recommendation to first move all volumes off the disk. If this disk is the last disk in a disk group, the user is prompted for whether the disk group should be removed from the system, as well. The operation proceeds by calling voldg rmdisk to remove the disk from its disk group. If this is the last disk in its disk group, voldg deport is used, instead, to remove the disk group from use. Remove a disk for replacement This option prompts for a disk, by disk media name. The disk is checked for volumes that would lose all mirrors as a result of the operation. If such volumes exist, they are listed and the user is prompted to ensure that the operation should proceed. The operation proceeds by calling voldg -k rmdisk to dissociate the media record from the physical disk. If some formatted disks are under LSM control but not assigned to a disk group, the user is prompted for whether one of these disks should be used as a replacement. Replace a failed or removed disk This option prompts for a disk media name. The named media record must be dissociated from a disk. If the media record is not in the removed state, unused disks are scanned for matching disk IDs. If a disk with a matching disk ID is found, the user is prompted for whether that disk should be reattached. If a matching disk is not used, the user is prompted for a new disk, by device name. If the named replacement disk has a valid disk header, but is not allocated to a disk group, the user is prompted for whether the disk should be reinitialized. If the named replacement disk is listed as allocated to a disk group or to another host, the user is prompted to ensure that the operation should proceed. If the device is to be initialized, a new disk label is written to the disk to reflect its private and public regions. Given an initialized disk, the operation proceeds by replacing the disk in a disk group with voldg -k adddisk. Mirror volumes on a disk This option prompts for a disk, by disk media name. It then prompts for a destination disk within the same disk group, also by disk media name. Specifying no destination disks indicates that any disk is suitable. The operation proceeds by calling volmirror to mirror the volumes. Mirroring volumes from the boot disk will produce a disk that can be used as an alternate boot disk. This is done by calling the volrootmir command. Move volumes from a disk This option prompts for a disk, by disk media name. It then prompts for a possible list of destination disks, also by disk media name. Specifying no destination disks indicates that any disk is suitable. The operation proceeds by calling volevac to move sub- disks off the disk. Enable access to (import) a disk group This option prompts for a disk, by device address. The operation proceeds by calling voldg import to import the disk group stored on that disk. Disable access to (deport) a disk group This option prompts for a disk group name. The prompt display lists alternate disk groups and the disks (media name and access name) that they contain. The operation proceeds by calling voldg deport. Enable (online) a disk device This option prompts for a disk device. The prompt display allows for a display of disks on the system. The operation only func- tions for disks currently in an offline state. It then proceeds to make the disk accessible. Disable (offline) a disk device This option prompts for a disk device. The prompt display allows for a display of disks on the system. The operation only func- tions for disks currently in an online state but not part of any disk group. It then proceeds to mark the disk as offline such that the Logical Storage Manager makes no further attempt at accessing the disk. Mark a disk as a spare for a disk group This option sets up a disk to be used as a spare device for its disk group. A spare disk can be used to automatically replace a disk that has failed. No space can be used on a disk that is marked as a spare. Turn off the spare flag for a disk This option removes a disk from those that can be used as a spare and returns its space to the general pool of available space. Recover plexes and volumes after replacement This operation performs plex attachment, RAID-5 subdisk recovery, and resynchronize operations for the named volumes, or for volumes residing on the named disks (media name). If no media name or volume operands are specified, the operation applies to all volumes (or to all volumes in the specified disk group). ERRORS
See the voldiskadd(8) reference page for a description of errors related to the initialization operation. FILES
A list of disks to exclude from use by voldiskadm. SEE ALSO
disklabel(8), volintro(8), voldg(8), voldisk(8), voldiskadd(8), voldisksetup(8), volrootmir(8) voldiskadm(8)