Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: So many types of LINUX's!
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers So many types of LINUX's! Post 37800 by NemesisXP on Sunday 29th of June 2003 08:28:12 PM
Old 06-29-2003
It all depends really, I find its all down to prefrence, Ive used Redhat, Mandrake, Suse and Debian, keeping each distro for about 3 months, been using Slackware for the last 2 months and I really like it.

I feel imho, its best to try a few distros and go for the one you are most comfortable with, I will be trying gentoo soon as well, but Ill be installing that on another machine as I am very happy with slack, try a few and stick with distros you like best.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

servers types

dear sir , i would like to ask about sun solaries servers generations ? i hear about sparc and ultra . i want to know the versions , and is there other servers types ?? Thank (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tamemi
3 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

associated file types

I have a file of type .for extension .In a guui based unix environment like solaris if I double click on that file a specific program designed by me has to run which takes this file as the parameter and exceutes the program. Can anyone help me? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nhk_srd
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mime types

Hi, I am trying to launch an ogg movie from a pdf file which has been produced with pdflatex and \movie {\centerline{\includegraphics {grafiques_xerrades/un_manolo_amb_camera.pdf}}} {hlims_xerrades/XocCumuls.ogg} The switch "externalviewer" makes kpdf launch the default... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pau
5 Replies

4. Red Hat

newbie: Linux Server Names & Types..!!!

Any one tell me about the list of Redhat Linux Enterprise 5 SERVERS and their functions. thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: salman103
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find the partition types in linux

How do we find the partition type in Linux? df -T will give me the mounted partition types like ufs, ext3 etc. How do I find out for say a newly added disk to the system? Please advise... Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lubu
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How does linux recognize file types?

Hey , I was wondering how does Linux recognize file types if he doesn't use extensions to determine the file type ? It's just a question not for a script or something else. thnx:o (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Eclecticaa
3 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Help with using different types of GREP

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Hey there, I'm brand new to using Unix as I just started a course on it in my University, and I currently working through a worksheet which focuses on the many commands and methods of GREP (I'm working through the terminal command... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: SilvarHawke
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cp -r except certain file types

the following excludes certain directories successfully cp -r probe/!(dir) /destination I want to exclude certain file types and tried unsuccessfully cp -r probe/!(*.avi) /destination (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmf
2 Replies

9. Programming

Are These All The Integer Types In C

Hello and Good day, I am currently studying C and I just finished learning about variables mainly those of integer type. I am wondering if the list below are all there is to integer variables and there are still more that i have to learn. Here are the list: Char Short int long long long... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: split_func0
3 Replies
DISTRO-INFO(1)						      General Commands Manual						    DISTRO-INFO(1)

NAME
distro-info - provides information about the distributions' releases SYNOPSIS
distro-info [OPTIONS] DESCRIPTION
distro-info is a symlink to the distro-info command for your distribution. On Debian it links to debian-distro-info and on Ubuntu it links to ubuntu-distro-info. All options described in this manual page are available in all distro-info commands. All other options, which are not described here, are distribution specific. OPTIONS
--date=DATE date for calculating the version (default: today) -h, --help display help message and exit -a, --all list all known versions -d, --devel latest development version -s, --stable latest stable version --supported list of all supported stable versions --unsupported list of all unsupported stable versions -c, --codename print the codename (default) -r, --release print the release version -f, --fullname print the full name SEE ALSO
debian-distro-info(1), ubuntu-distro-info(1) AUTHOR
The script and this manual page was written by Benjamin Drung <bdrung@debian.org>. distro-info January 2011 DISTRO-INFO(1)