Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers GNU and Linux: Different or the same? Post 37444 by norsk hedensk on Wednesday 18th of June 2003 10:18:50 PM
Old 06-18-2003
GNU is a recursive acronym for Gnu's NOT Unix. this was common hacker naming proceedure in the AI labs back in the 70s. if you really want to get technical on the explanation, you could subscribe to Stallman's naming conventions for this whole GNU (/) Linux thing..... (gasps for air...) GNU is actually the operating system that uses the Linux kernel. the kernel is the last ( well close ) layer between the software and the hardware in a computer system. an operating system is basically a set of programs ( tools, if you will ) that make up the whole system. you have ls, cd, mkdir, cp, and many many others for filesystem manipulation, you have gcc for c code compilation, you have various tools for configuring devices, ie ifconfig , modprobe, insmod, etc etc etc. these are all what make up the operating system. we have a unix-like system today, ( which is effectivley unix, for all practical USAGE purposes, its UNIX ) IP issues and copyright aside, GNU/Linux IS unix. anyway what the GNU people would like you to call the operating system you are using, is GNU/Linux. GNU is the system, Linux is the kernel. originally the GNU system was going to use the HURD kernel, but it wasnt ready when Linux was ready for testing on the net, and so GNU uses linux as its kernel. and of course, the aim of all this was/is to create a 'free' unix like os, a non commercial OS that can be used, distributed however one likes, ( within the limitations of the GPL ), theres lots more explanation that could be given but i will stop there. for more info, see the gnu.org website, as well as one of my favorite sites for reading about cool stuff, the jargon file, hold on lemme find that link....here it is : http://catb.org/esr/jargon/html/

have alot of fun

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Fedora

FreeBSD or GNU/Linux?

Hi, i'm working on micro$oft windows based networking environment's. i want learn other os than micro$oft windows. i tested FreeBSD & Gnu/Linux (Fedora). both are similar. which of following is best choice for me? for networking? and which of them has future (for e.g not discontinued after 2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: skynet_boy
3 Replies

2. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Read *.accdb files in GNU/Linux

Hi Guys, Can you please suggest me to read the *.accdb files under linux enviornment? I have google a bit. There is some solution to convert the *.accdb files under windows environment. But I am trying to do it in Linux environment. Please provide your thoughts. Thanks, Ranga :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rangarasan
3 Replies
grub(5) 						Standards, Environments, and Macros						   grub(5)

NAME
grub - GRand Unified Bootloader software on Solaris DESCRIPTION
The current release of the Solaris operating system is shipped with the GRUB (GRand Unified Bootloader) software. GRUB is developed and supported by the Free Software Foundation. The overview for the GRUB Manual, accessible at www.gnu.org, describes GRUB: Briefly, a boot loader is the first software program that runs when a computer starts. It is responsible for loading and transferring con- trol to an operating system kernel software (such as Linux or GNU Mach). The kernel, in turn, initializes the rest of the operating system (for example, a GNU [Ed. note: or Solaris] system). GNU GRUB is a very powerful boot loader that can load a wide variety of free, as well as proprietary, operating systems, by means of chain- loading. GRUB is designed to address the complexity of booting a personal computer; both the program and this manual are tightly bound to that computer platform, although porting to other platforms may be addressed in the future. [Ed. note: Sun has ported GRUB to the Solaris operating system.] One of the important features in GRUB is flexibility; GRUB understands filesystems and kernel executable formats, so you can load an arbi- trary operating system the way you like, without recording the physical position of your kernel on the disk. Thus you can load the kernel just by specifying its file name and the drive and partition where the kernel resides. Among Solaris machines, GRUB is supported on x86 platforms. The GRUB software that is shipped with Solaris adds two utilities not present in the open-source distribution: bootadm(1M) Enables you to manage the boot archive and make changes to the GRUB menu. installgrub(1M) Loads the boot program from disk. Both of these utilities are described in Solaris man pages. Beyond these two Solaris-specific utilities, the GRUB software is described in the GRUB manual, a PDF version of which is available from the Sun web site. Available in the same location is the grub(8) open-source man page. This man page describes the GRUB shell. SEE ALSO
boot(1M), bootadm(1M), installgrub(1M) Solaris Express Installation Guide: Basic Installations System Administration Guide: Basic Administration http://www.gnu.org/software/grub SunOS 5.11 21 Apr 2005 grub(5)