Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Sed bug in OS X?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Sed bug in OS X? Post 36543 by oombera on Friday 30th of May 2003 02:58:25 PM
Old 05-30-2003
Here's a quick run down of what my small awk script does with each line of output from egrep:

awk -F">" '{print $2}'

splits

<photoshop:CaptionWriter>this is where the caption writer goes</photoshop:CaptionWriter>

into pieces using > as a field separator:

<photoshop:CaptionWriter
this is where the caption writer goes</photoshop:CaptionWriter

and grabs the second piece ($2), which is

this is where the caption writer goes</photoshop:CaptionWriter

Then the second awk command awk -F"<" '{print $1}' takes that line and splits it into pieces using < as a field separator:

this is where the caption writer goes
/photoshop:CaptionWriter

and grabs the first piece ($1), giving you:

this is where the caption writer goes

Last edited by oombera; 06-04-2003 at 10:43 PM..

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SED.EXE Bug?

Hi all, when using sed to replace a piece of text multiple times in a file something weird happens.If there is no carriage return after the last line in the file it deletes the line. Anyone know why ? Thanks Paul command line : sed -e "s/System.out.println/\/\/Commented out by us... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: madcyril
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

logrotate bug?

I have been mailing myself logs for a while, but just ran into a problem because of a process that cannot HUP its log. (I realize thats why they implemented the "copytruncate" option in the first place) When I use logrotate with "copytruncate" and "compress" there is a problem. The "myScript"... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjinno
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is it a bug ..?

Hi All, I am using Red Hat Linux on my servers. The problem that I am facing is, sometimes the /opt usage on the server shows used percentage as 100% , when actually it is simply 20%. When I reboot the system, it comes back to 20%.Is this a bug in the system or my settings have gone wrong... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nua7
1 Replies

4. AIX

bug in 43 ???

xxxxserver# lsattr -El inet0 | grep 255.240.0.0,32.224.0.0,32.78.120.254 | grep '.40' route net,-hopcount,1,-netmask,255.240.0.0,32.224.0.0,32.78.120.254 How this is possible? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itik
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

where's the bug?

#!/bin/bash if then #echo "infinite loop" exit 0 fi when I run this file I get the following error: ./test_infinite_loop: line 5: syntax error near unexpected token `fi' ./test_infinite_loop: line 5: `fi' :confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jon80
4 Replies

6. Programming

is this a bug of g++?

Hello, Im using the g++(g++ Ubuntu/Linaro 4.4.4-14ubuntu5 4.4.5) and im trying to compile a small snippet code and got into an endless loop.I recompiled that in VS2010 under Windows 7 and the answer is as expected.so i wonder is this a bug of g++?here is my code. #include<iostream> using... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: homeboy
5 Replies

7. Programming

Help in memcmp (it may be a bug)

Hello friends today i have created a program that is working fine . but when string becomes equal it does not work . /* String.h header series Comparison function memcmp = return 0 if string equal else return less or greater than value by comparing pointer first and pointer second ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rink
6 Replies
SURFRAW-UPDATE-PATH(1)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				    SURFRAW-UPDATE-PATH(1)

NAME
surfraw-update-path - updates PATH in shell config files SYNOPSIS
surfraw-update-path [-add] [-remove] [-check] [-sys] [-all] [-help] [-shell=SHELL] DESCRIPTION
surfraw-update-path adds the surfraw elvi directory (/usr/lib/surfraw) to your PATH in your shell's config file. Currently it supports bash, sh, csh, tcsh, ash, dash, ksh, pdksh, zsh, rc, and es Don't forget to login again or source your login files for it to take effect. OPTIONS
-check Checks to see if the surfraw config code is present. This is the default. -add Adds the surfraw config code. -remove Removes the surfraw config code -sys Updates the system-wide shell config instead of the user. Must be done as root. -shell=SHELL Selects the shell to configure. Defaults to the value of the $SHELL environment variable. Currently supported shells are: sh, ash, bash, dash, csh, tcsh, ksh, pdksh, zsh, rc, and es. -all Attempts to configure the startup files for all known shells -help Gives a usage message RETURN VALUE
-check returns 0 if the surfraw code is present in the file, 1 if it is not found, or 2 on error. All other options return 0 on success, or 2 on error. ENVIRONMENT
SHELL Used to determine which shell to configure, if -shell is not given. HOME Used to find users config files. ENV Used by posix-compliant shells to specify a startup rc file. ZDOTDIR Used to find user config files for zsh. If not set, defaults to HOME. SEE ALSO
surfraw(1), sh(1), ash(1), bash(1), dash(1), csh(1), tcsh(1), ksh(1), pdksh(1), zsh(1), rc(1), es(1) AUTHOR
Ian Beckwith <ianb@erislabs.net> perl v5.12.4 2011-07-12 SURFRAW-UPDATE-PATH(1)