Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Editing a file using a script Post 36392 by google on Wednesday 28th of May 2003 11:15:15 AM
Old 05-28-2003
Here is the problem as I understand it.
1. You have a ton of scripts that have hard coded paths
2. Each time a new deployment occurs, you must edit the paths
3. Your sick of manually editing the paths!

Proposal:

-- Create a script that anyone can use that will do the following.
1. Copy the files in questions (deploy them were they need to be)
2. For each file and path that needs a change, Prompt the user with the existing directory paths. Ask user if this is correct (if so, exit) if not ask user to specify the path.
3. Validate the users input.
4. Backup the original config files that you are about to change.
5. Use sed to change the path by replacing the old path in the file with what the user just requested.
6. Work on a more robust deployment plan Smilie

Here is a link to some sed info to get you started

Last edited by google; 05-28-2003 at 12:20 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Editing a file in a shell script

Using Solaris 8. I need to create a shell script that will edit a text file. I need to look in the text file and do a search and replace. For instance, the text file name is always 'filename'. I need to open filename and replace every instance of 'oldtext' with 'newtext'. 'oldtext' is static. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jowpup
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

editing a file via a shell script ??

Morning All: I know this might be easy but since I don't do this very often I get stumped real quick... Sun box Solaris 8 ksh... I need to edit a file via a shell script. In this file I need to locate one specific line and then remove that line plus the next 20 line below that.... Any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmyc
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

editing excel file through shell script

Hi, I am having a business file in excel having charts based on data already present on it. I would like to add new rows after the existing data and refesh the chart on it using shell script. For example-- In excel file in "sheet1", There is some data in first 10 rows ( from column A to F).... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjay1979
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

editing a file using shell script

HI all, I have file in the below format 1111111111_222222222_3333333 111111_22222_33333 11111111_222222_33333333333 i need to display this file like this 2222222_1111111111 22222_11111111 22222222222_1111111111111 can anyone help me with this Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saravanan71184
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

editing a file in a script

Gurus, I need to write a shell script that will calculate hash value of a file, opens the file in an application for example vi editor. The application can read or modify the contents of the file. When application exists second part of my script will kick in and recalculate the hash value. File... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: c0kazaz
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems editing file with awk in bash script

Hello dear users, here I have a script to manipulate .csv files that are like this originally: And I need to make a script to delete certain fields. Each field is separated with a comma. So, here is my script (at least a part of it): Field $1 is composed of a name, and then a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sr00t
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

editing single line in html file in perl script

Hi Folks, It is regarding the perl scripting. I have an html file(many files) which contains the below line in the body tag. <body> <P><STRONG><FONT face="comic sans ms,cursive,sans-serif"><EM>Hello</EM></FONT></STRONG></P> </body> Now I want to read that html file through perl... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: giridhar276
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Editing a file on remote server using shell script locally

Hi All, I have below requirements for my project: 1. Building a shell script which connects to a remote server 2. running script on local machine as user 'A' 3. connecting to server using user 'B' with password 4. login with a powerbroker role 'P' (asks for same password as 'B') on that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nishant Ladiwal
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Editing a file on remote server using shell script locally

Hi Scott, My previous post was not for any school or college projects. I am currently working with a IT company (Cannot provide more details than this). I am trying to implement the below script in my day-to-day work, Apologies for the confusion in previous post :). My question remains same... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nishant Ladiwal
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing and Editing a json file with bash script

I am trying to automate editing of a json file using bash script. The file I initially receive is { "appMap": { "URL1": { "name": "a" }, "URL2": { "name": "b" }, "URL3": { "name": "c" }, } WHat I would like to do is replace... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
5 Replies
Graphics::Primitive::Canvas(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation			  Graphics::Primitive::Canvas(3pm)

NAME
Graphics::Primitive::Canvas - Component composed of paths DESCRIPTION
Graphics::Primitive::Canvas is a component for drawing arbitrary things. It holds Paths and Operations. SYNOPSIS
use Graphics::Primitive::Canvas; my $canvas = Graphics::Primitive::Canvas->new; $canvas->move_to($point); # or just $x, $y $canvas->do($op); DESCRIPTION
The Canvas is a container for multiple Paths. It has a path that is the operative path for all path-related methods. You can treat the Canvas as if it was a path, calling methods like line_to or move_to. When you are ready to perform an operation on the path, call the do method with the operation you want to call as an argument. Drawing a line and stroking it would look like: $canvas->move_to(0, 0); $canvas->line_to(10, 10); my $op = Graphics::Primitive::Operation::Stroke->new; $stroke->brush->color( Graphics::Color::RGB->new(red => 0, blue => 1, green => 1) ); $canvas->do($op); When you instantiate a Canvas a newly instantiated path resides in path. After you call do that current path is moved to the paths list and new path is placed in current_path. If you want to keep the path around you can call save before do then call restore to put a saved copy of the path back into path. METHODS
Constructor new Creates a new Graphics::Primitive::Canvas Instance Methods do Given an operation, pushes the current path onto the path stack. FIXME: Example path The current path this canvas is using. path_count Count of paths in paths. paths Arrayref of hashrefs representing paths combined with their operations: [ { path => $path, op => $op }, ] restore Replace the current path by popping the top path from the saved path list. save Copy the current path and push it onto the stack of saved paths. saved_paths List of saved paths. Add to the list with save and pop from it using restore. saved_path_count Count of paths saved in saved_paths. AUTHOR
Cory Watson <gphat@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT &; LICENSE Copyright 2008-2010 by Cory G Watson. You can redistribute and/or modify this code under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.12.3 2010-08-21 Graphics::Primitive::Canvas(3pm)