Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Progress reporting
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Progress reporting Post 36324 by Ypnos on Tuesday 27th of May 2003 11:32:51 AM
Old 05-27-2003
here's the crucial bit

if test -f /u/ttc/
then #File or directory exists so ask for confirmation

echo -n "Ready to begin copy, continue? [y/n]"; read choice
if [ "$choice" -eq y ] || [ "$choice" -eq Y]; then echo "Copying files"
cp -r $livecomp $copycomp
mv -r $livecomp $tempcomp

As you see, I'm not using a for loop...

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reporting

I have to do a lot of reporting for the company that I work for and was wondering if anyone had suggestions for a way to create professional looking reports. I currently use Filepro so much that I rarely see the shell. Any help is appreciated. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mike11
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reporting SU and Failedlogins

Hi:- I am working on an audit report that produces a monthly summary of account activity on a particular AIX host. I am struggling with su activity and failed logins as these tend to come back with more then a month's data. Is there a easy way that these files can be rotated/cleaned out on a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: janet
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SNMP time reporting

Hi, First post, please bare with me. I am currently using SNMP on Nagios to monitor Exim and all is running great with the exception to it picking up the date / time of the last Exim queue run. What I am hoping to achieve is for SNMP / Nagios to correctly pickup the difference between the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: theblueproject
1 Replies

4. Solaris

sar command not reporting

I am running Solaris 10 in a sparc environment. I have the sys crontab setup to use sar to gather data and report it. My sys crontab entry looks like this: 0,5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55 * * * 0-6 /usr/lib/sa/sa1 20,40 8-17 * * 1-5 /usr/lib/sa/sa1 5 18 * * 1-5 /usr/lib/sa/sa2 -s 8:00 -e... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RobSand
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Disk space reporting

I need to accomplish the following task - I have a number of accounts for a number of applications that i deploy on a unix server. There are a number of directories for each account in /prod/apps directory. eg. For an account Application1 I have /prod/apps/Application1_1 /prod/apps/Application1_2... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: niranjandighe
4 Replies

6. Solaris

Monitoring and Reporting Solutions

Hi, I am hunting for a low cost Monitoring & Reporting Tool for the SUN Environment. I have all and all SUN Environment with LDOMs, Zones. The monitoring Tool 1. Hardware failure. 2. Disk space and failure. 3. LDOMS,Zones. 4. CPU,Memory Utilization. 5. ping,URL Monitors 6. Send... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: menonk
4 Replies

7. SCO

du and dfspace reporting

Hi, I am using SCO UNIX version 6.0.0 release 5. I am using du and df space to see the used space in the / partition. I am using du -k option to get count in 1024 k so that it directly makes kb. In dfspace I subtracted the used mb from total size mb which should be the used space and then... (40 Replies)
Discussion started by: dextergenious
40 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Reporting last login details

Most of my Solaris 10 user accounts are generally 10 characters long. When I run the 'last' command the report only shows the first 8 characters so the information is not very helpful. How can I report the full 10 character user account. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: PPOWER55
1 Replies

9. AIX

How to disable an error reporting ???

Hi A few days ago I attached an usb external disk to a server running AIX, then I removed it without typing any commands. Now, the server can't find the usb device and it keeps reporting the errors every 3 hours, like this 55479D40 0112080017 T H usbms0 ADDITIONAL INFORMATION... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobochacha29
2 Replies
PREG_MATCH(3)								 1							     PREG_MATCH(3)

preg_match - Perform a regular expression match

SYNOPSIS
int preg_match (string $pattern, string $subject, [array &$matches], [int $flags], [int $offset]) DESCRIPTION
Searches $subject for a match to the regular expression given in $pattern. PARAMETERS
o $pattern - The pattern to search for, as a string. o $subject - The input string. o $matches - If $matches is provided, then it is filled with the results of search. $matches[0] will contain the text that matched the full pattern, $matches[1] will have the text that matched the first captured parenthesized subpattern, and so on. o $flags -$flags can be the following flag: o PREG_OFFSET_CAPTURE - If this flag is passed, for every occurring match the appendant string offset will also be returned. Note that this changes the value of $matches into an array where every element is an array consisting of the matched string at offset 0 and its string offset into $subject at offset 1. o $offset - Normally, the search starts from the beginning of the subject string. The optional parameter $offset can be used to specify the alternate place from which to start the search (in bytes). Note Using $offset is not equivalent to passing substr($subject, $offset) to preg_match(3) in place of the subject string, because $pattern can contain assertions such as ^, $ or (?<=x). Compare: <?php $subject = "abcdef"; $pattern = '/^def/'; preg_match($pattern, $subject, $matches, PREG_OFFSET_CAPTURE, 3); print_r($matches); ?> The above example will output: Array ( ) while this example <?php $subject = "abcdef"; $pattern = '/^def/'; preg_match($pattern, substr($subject,3), $matches, PREG_OFFSET_CAPTURE); print_r($matches); ?> will produce Array ( [0] => Array ( [0] => def [1] => 0 ) ) RETURN VALUES
preg_match(3) returns 1 if the $pattern matches given $subject, 0 if it does not, or FALSE if an error occurred. Warning This function may return Boolean FALSE, but may also return a non-Boolean value which evaluates to FALSE. Please read the section on Booleans for more information. Use the === operator for testing the return value of this function. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.3.6 | | | | | | | Returns FALSE if $offset is higher than $subject | | | length. | | | | | 5.2.2 | | | | | | | Named subpatterns now accept the syntax | | | (?<name>) and (?'name') as well as (?P<name>). | | | Previous versions accepted only (?P<name>). | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 Find the string of text "php" <?php // The "i" after the pattern delimiter indicates a case-insensitive search if (preg_match("/php/i", "PHP is the web scripting language of choice.")) { echo "A match was found."; } else { echo "A match was not found."; } ?> Example #2 Find the word "web" <?php /* The  in the pattern indicates a word boundary, so only the distinct * word "web" is matched, and not a word partial like "webbing" or "cobweb" */ if (preg_match("/web/i", "PHP is the web scripting language of choice.")) { echo "A match was found."; } else { echo "A match was not found."; } if (preg_match("/web/i", "PHP is the website scripting language of choice.")) { echo "A match was found."; } else { echo "A match was not found."; } ?> Example #3 Getting the domain name out of a URL <?php // get host name from URL preg_match('@^(?:http://)?([^/]+)@i', "http://www.php.net/index.html", $matches); $host = $matches[1]; // get last two segments of host name preg_match('/[^.]+.[^.]+$/', $host, $matches); echo "domain name is: {$matches[0]} "; ?> The above example will output: domain name is: php.net Example #4 Using named subpattern <?php $str = 'foobar: 2008'; preg_match('/(?P<name>w+): (?P<digit>d+)/', $str, $matches); /* This also works in PHP 5.2.2 (PCRE 7.0) and later, however * the above form is recommended for backwards compatibility */ // preg_match('/(?<name>w+): (?<digit>d+)/', $str, $matches); print_r($matches); ?> The above example will output: Array ( [0] => foobar: 2008 [name] => foobar [1] => foobar [digit] => 2008 [2] => 2008 ) NOTES
Tip Do not use preg_match(3) if you only want to check if one string is contained in another string. Use strpos(3) or strstr(3) instead as they will be faster. SEE ALSO
PCRE Patterns, preg_quote(3), preg_match_all(3), preg_replace(3), preg_split(3), preg_last_error(3). PHP Documentation Group PREG_MATCH(3)