Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users FreeBSD problems with interfaces Post 36251 by potato-head on Monday 26th of May 2003 12:54:28 AM
Old 05-26-2003
The default router will give you an interesting time of things. You will see traffic heading in through one interface, and going out what ever is attached to the default. This will always happen, unless some form of routing / packet shaping is going on- It is somewhat of a read, but well worth it.

The good news: What you are trying to do is doable, and there are many good writeups on how to do it- It almost sounds like you are in need of natting and proxy over that- A really good resource for you is defcon1.org- If memory serves me correctly, they have a walk through on it. Also, I think the online docs have something similar-

Cheers

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Getty-problems in FreeBSD

Hi all, I'm having a disturbing problem with getty i fbsd (fbsd 4.5 on a compaq laptop). One day, when the boot process was complete, my logs were spammed with messages from getty: May 20 21:27:10 laptop getty: login_tty /dev/console: Operation not supported by device May 20 21:27:10 laptop... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kuba
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

problems with sound card on FreeBSD 4.5

Hi,friends!!! I have a problem with my integrated sound card AC97 on i815 and my version of FreeBSD is 4.5.I know that there is a driver for it called ich.c.gz,but the site containing it is unavaliable now.And is there another driver or some other ideas ? z-z-z-z-z :: email removed :: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kruch
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

interfaces

Hello, which network interface i must sellect during the solaris9 installation le0 or hme0 ? this system is part of the network, it is a standalone system and is not on any domain. thanks for your help, em (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: emsakopa
1 Replies

4. BSD

problems with the freebsd configuration...

I had just instal freebsd in my computer, wich is very nice,am very happy about it, am new to the unix os and i know unmost nothing and my problem is that i din't do i good configuration because i can get internet when i open the webbrowser, a have a yahoo dsl connection, i can't even play a cd in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nobody
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Interfaces Sol9

this is more of a curious question. I have a jumpstart server i imaged from a laptop. And in /etc/there are multiple hostname.ce0:1-2-3 etc.. entries. in that file each one has name similar to this jumpr_koc jumpr_poc etc.. Also i noticed my netmasks file has all the subnets we use. and finally my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deaconf19
2 Replies

6. BSD

FreeBSD Installation problems

Hi all, I'm new to the world of Unix/Linux (though not to computing in general) and I'm having a few issues installing FreeBSD (v6.2). Firstly, I realise that it's not the most user-friendly of distros, especially for newbies, but it's what I'm required to install so unfortunately I have to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Techmonkey
2 Replies

7. Programming

Application crashes in FreeBSD 7.1 while working ok in FreeBSD 6.3

Hello there, My mulithreaded application (which is too large to represent the source code here) is crashing after installing FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE/amd64. It worked properly on others machines (Dual Cores with 4GB of RAM - FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE/i386). The current machine has 2x Core 2 Duo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Seenquev
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Interfaces

What is Programmer Interface in UNIX. I do have this question in my Syllabus. Can Anyone Please help. Thanks in Advance... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: m.vinay
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Interfaces and Virtual-interfaces queries

Hi Al, In course of understanding networking in Solaris, I have these doubts on Interfaces. Please clarify me. I have done fair research in this site and others but could not be clarified. 1. In the "ifconfig -a" command, I see many interfaces and their configurations. But I see many... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: satish51392111
1 Replies

10. Solaris

can't see other interfaces

Hi Guys, I have a Netra240 server with four interfaces. However, when I ran this command dladm show-dev it showed only one interface bge0. Can someone please explain to me how to fix this problem? Thanks guys. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cjashu
1 Replies
FAITH(4)						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						  FAITH(4)

NAME
faith -- IPv6-to-IPv4 TCP relay capturing interface SYNOPSIS
device faith DESCRIPTION
The faith interface captures IPv6 TCP traffic, for implementing userland IPv6-to-IPv4 TCP relay like faithd(8). Each faith interface is created at runtime using interface cloning. This is most easily done with the ifconfig(8) create command or using the cloned_interfaces variable in rc.conf(5). Special action will be taken when IPv6 TCP traffic is seen on a router, and the routing table suggests to route it to the faith interface. In this case, the packet will be accepted by the router, regardless of the list of IPv6 interface addresses assigned to the router. The packet will be captured by an IPv6 TCP socket, if it has the IN6P_FAITH flag turned on and matching address/port pairs. As a result, faith will let you capture IPv6 TCP traffic to some specific destination addresses. Userland programs, such as faithd(8) can use this behavior to relay IPv6 TCP traffic to IPv4 TCP traffic. The program can accept some specific IPv6 TCP traffic, perform getsockname(2) to get the IPv6 destination address specified by the client, and perform application-specific address mapping to relay IPv6 TCP to IPv4 TCP. The IN6P_FAITH flag on a IPv6 TCP socket can be set by using setsockopt(2), with level IPPROTO_IPV6 and optname IPv6_FAITH. To handle error reports by ICMPv6, some ICMPv6 packets routed to an faith interface will be delivered to IPv6 TCP, as well. To understand how faith can be used, take a look at the source code of faithd(8). As the faith interface implements potentially dangerous operations, great care must be taken when configuring it. To avoid possible misuse, the sysctl(8) variable net.inet6.ip6.keepfaith must be set to 1 prior to using the interface. When net.inet6.ip6.keepfaith is 0, no packets will be captured by the faith interface. The faith interface is intended to be used on routers, not on hosts. SEE ALSO
inet(4), inet6(4), faithd(8) Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino and Kazu Yamamoto, An IPv6-to-IPv4 transport relay translator, RFC3142. HISTORY
The FAITH IPv6-to-IPv4 TCP relay translator first appeared in the WIDE hydrangea IPv6 stack. BSD
April 10, 1999 BSD