Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Backup Software
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Backup Software Post 36065 by Optimus_P on Tuesday 20th of May 2003 09:34:24 AM
Old 05-20-2003
yes there are various defacto tools to backup a system with.

read the man page for the following commands

General unix/linux tools:
cpio
tar

solaris:
ufsdump
ufsrestore

aix:
backup
mksysb

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Enterprise backup software

My company has been an OmniBack shop for about 2 years now. We use it to backup both Unix and NT servers as well as a Network Appliance Filer. For the most part it has sufficed for what we do. However, management is considering changing to another backup software. We are considering either staying... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: keelba
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Backup Software for UNIX systems

Hi, which software is recommended for backup of UNIX systems ( e.g. SUN, Solaris ). Backup software and database e.g. Oracle. One possibility is Networker, but license is expensive and also service contract. Best regards Dieter (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rhacodactylus
2 Replies

3. Solaris

backup software

dear friends, i am not a expert in solaris 10, i want to practice backup software . where from i can download backup software free . (EBS, legato or any ) please help me (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sijocg
4 Replies

4. Solaris

backup software

Anyone have a recommendation for backup software either built in or third party? Simple is good. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kjons76
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync backup mode(--backup) Are there any options to remove backup folders on successful deployment?

Hi Everyone, we are running rsync with --backup mode, Are there any rsync options to remove backup folders on successful deployment? Thanks in adv. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MVEERA
0 Replies

6. AIX

Backup software for AIX

Hello, Looking for some backup software for AIX , once tivoli is bit expensive , i'm searching for alternatives, do you guys have some experience with some other software? Cheers, (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: prpkrk
6 Replies
BACKUP_DELDUMP(8)					       AFS Command Reference						 BACKUP_DELDUMP(8)

NAME
backup_deldump - Deletes a dump level from the Backup Database SYNOPSIS
backup deldump -dump <dump level name> [-localauth] [-cell <cell name>] [-help] backup deld -d <dump level name> [-l] [-c <cell name>] [-h] DESCRIPTION
The backup deldump command deletes the indicated dump level and all of its child dump levels from the dump hierarchy in the Backup Database. Use the backup listdumps command to display the dump hierarchy. OPTIONS
-dump <dump level name> Specifies the complete pathname of the dump level to delete. -localauth Constructs a server ticket using a key from the local /etc/openafs/server/KeyFile file. The backup command interpreter presents it to the Backup Server, Volume Server and VL Server during mutual authentication. Do not combine this flag with the -cell argument. For more details, see backup(8). -cell <cell name> Names the cell in which to run the command. Do not combine this argument with the -localauth flag. For more details, see backup(8). -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. EXAMPLES
The following command deletes the dump level "/sunday1/monday1" from the dump hierarchy, along with any of its child dump levels. % backup deldump /sunday1/monday1 PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
The issuer must be listed in the /etc/openafs/server/UserList file on every machine where the Backup Server is running, or must be logged onto a server machine as the local superuser "root" if the -localauth flag is included. SEE ALSO
backup(8), backup_adddump(8), backup_listdumps(8) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 BACKUP_DELDUMP(8)