Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Could really use some help!
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Could really use some help! Post 36057 by sajjan2 on Tuesday 20th of May 2003 04:50:33 AM
Old 05-20-2003
Could really use some help!

Hi,

I will try to explain my problem hopefully somebody understand
and can help me out.
In our network we have an internal network and then an firewall
and outside the firewall we have our DNS, a couple of weeks ago the hardrive on the firewall crashed and i had to set it up again,
now i can't use the DNS, it runs on UNIX and the thing is that i am not so into UNIX so i don't really know how to look for errors.
I would like to know how to make sure that the machine has
contact with the network . .i try to ping some machines
out on the internet from the DNS but i don't get any reply.

How do i restart the network interface and check the status on it
and so on . . i just need to make sure if the UNIX machine really has on network connection so i can rule that error out.

Probably no one understand what i am trying to say here. =)

Thanks.

ARNO_FWFILTER(1)														  ARNO_FWFILTER(1)

NAME
arno-fwfilter - a filter script to make iptables firewall logs more readable for humans SYNOPSIS
arno-fwfilter [OPTIONS] DESCRIPTION
arno-fwfilter is a pipe filter script to make the firewall-log better readable. Some usage examples are: Static firewall log filtering: arno-fwfilter < logfile Realtime firewall logging on tty10: tail --follow <logfile> | arno-fwfilter >/dev/tty10 & OPTIONS
--help, -h Print the available options. --html-output, -o Use basic HTML to format the output --no-locations, -l Disable to (try to) obtain the IP's geographical location. By default, http://www.hostip.info/ is visited to get this information. --no-colors, -c Disable the use of colors in the output. --single-line, -s Put all information about an event in a single line SEE ALSO
iptables(8), arno-iptables-firewall(8) The http://rocky.eld.leidenuniv.nl/ web site. AUTHOR
arno-fwfilter was written by Arno van Amersfoort <arnova@rocky.eld.leidenuniv.nl>. This manual page was written by Michael Hanke <michael.hanke@gmail.com>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). Michael Hanke September 2005 ARNO_FWFILTER(1)