Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Can't log in other than root - display garbles Post 35429 by craig2k on Saturday 12th of April 2003 01:22:59 AM
Old 04-12-2003
Perhaps I need to explain better.

>what is standard copyright stuff?

After verifying the password, it displays copyright info for SCO, Microsoft, and UNIX labs.
It seems to make it through the password part. It used to then display terminal type(ansi, xterm, vt52, etc) and then a command prompt.
What it does instead is garble the date of the last succesful login, show the copyright info, and instead of showing terminal type and command prompt, it goes back to "login:"at the bottom of the screen.

>also how are you logging into the other account?

The only account I can get into is root(which I guess is better than nothing, at least I can try and fix it). The whole login process works perfectly for root.(the date is shown in legible ascii text)

> are you logging out then logging back in? or are you using SU?
If I try try to su to a regular user from root It displays "process killed" and returns me to the command prompt as root. I don't know If this is even supposed to work, I never tried to su to lesser permissions before.

My only unix experience prior to this has been with linux - Redhat, Mandrake, some Debian. This box runs a proprietary application. It has no /home directory. The .profile file is in /usr/xxxx, the directory where this application lives. I don't know if this is normal or not, I have nothing to compare it to.

>if your display is garbled try typing 'reset' then hit enter.
Hopefully I've explained it better this time. I can't get to a shell other than root, which logs in and works fine.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

i can't use 'make' in my computer?

I need to compile a file,but 'make' does not work.please tell me how to use it or need which tools? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsun5
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What's the easiest way to display system cpu, memory, # drives/size ??

I am looking for the easiest and most generic way to determine: System model/class Number of cpu's Clock speed of cpu's (ie 550 MHz) Total Physical Memory (not virtual) Number of Drives/Drive Size Thanks in advance, (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: eyounes
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Clearify what it means under 'WHAT' when hit the 'w'-command

I wonder how I shall read the result below, especially 'what' shown below. The result was shown when I entered 'w'. E.g what is TOP? What is gosh ( what does selmgr mean?)? login@ idle JCPU PCPU what 6:15am 7:04 39 39 TOP 6:34am 6:45 45 45 TOP 6:41am ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Aelgen
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HELP ME HELP!!!! I can't Log in as root

I am running a Linux Red Hat 7.2 system and I can't log into the root account. When I tried to su to root from another user by using the command su - root, I get this error message: su: basename.c:67: base_name:Assertion `all-slashes || !((*(p - 1)) == '/ ' ) failed also, when I tried to... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't su to root

I keep getting "su: Your own ID is unknown" whenever I try to su to root. Why is this??? I cannot find anything anywhere with this message. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: stufine
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

quoting echo 'it's friday'

echo 'it's friday' why appear the > (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mistyped shell path, now i can't login as the only user that can su to root

i mistyped the location of bash and now i can't login as the only other user who belongs to wheel on my freebsd box. since i'm having many problems with samba, this has frozen my attempts to get things resolved with the former issue. i've been told that 'su -m' should do the trick, but it's... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyyz
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to remove a file with a leading dash '-' in it's name?

Somehow someone created a file named '-ov' in the root directory. Given the name, the how was probably the result of some cpio command they bozo'ed. I've tried a number of different ways to get rid of it using * and ? wildcards, '\' escape patterns etc.. They all fail with " illegal option --... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GSalisbury
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

What are the differences between 'bash' and 'sh'

Hopefully this doesn't come off as too much of a "newbie" question or a flamebait. But I have recently begun working with a Sun Solaris box after having spent the past five years working with RedHat. From what i can tell, thing look fairly similar and the 'man' command is some help. But I've... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Root user changed language display

Hi, I was carrying out some simple admin tasks setting up a user, logged in as root when I fumbled on the keyboard. It appears I typed cp * ../user/<esc><esc>I hit return and now the display has set to a strange array of symbols e.g. ¼Ùïõò §ÏÅÎÓÓȧ ãïîîåãôéïî èáó ôåòíéîáôåä I've tried looking at the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: becky492
7 Replies
LOGIN(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  LOGIN(1)

NAME
login -- log into the computer SYNOPSIS
login [-fp] [-h hostname] [user] DESCRIPTION
The login utility logs users (and pseudo-users) into the computer system. If no user is specified, or if a user is specified and authentication of the user fails, login prompts for a user name. Authentication of users is done via passwords. The options are as follows: -f The -f option is used when a user name is specified to indicate that proper authentication has already been done and that no password need be requested. This option may only be used by the super-user or when an already logged in user is logging in as themselves. -h The -h option specifies the host from which the connection was received. It is used by various daemons such as telnetd(8). This option may only be used by the super-user. -p By default, login discards any previous environment. The -p option disables this behavior. If the file /etc/nologin exists, login dislays its contents to the user and exits. This is used by shutdown(8) to prevent users from logging in when the system is about to go down. Immediately after logging a user in, login displays the system copyright notice, the date and time the user last logged in, the message of the day as well as other information. If the file ``.hushlogin'' exists in the user's home directory, all of these messages are suppressed. This is to simplify logins for non-human users, such as uucp(1). Login then records an entry in the wtmp(5) and utmp(5) files and executes the user's command interpreter. Login enters information into the environment (see environ(7)) specifying the user's home directory (HOME), command interpreter (SHELL), search path (PATH), terminal type (TERM) and user name (both LOGNAME and USER). The standard shells, csh(1) and sh(1), do not fork before executing the login utility. FILES
/etc/motd message-of-the-day /etc/nologin disallows logins /var/run/utmp current logins /var/log/lastlog last login account records /var/log/wtmp login account records /var/mail/user system mailboxes .hushlogin makes login quieter SEE ALSO
chpass(1), passwd(1), rlogin(1), getpass(3), utmp(5), environ(7), HISTORY
A login appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. 4th Berkeley Distribution May 5, 1994 4th Berkeley Distribution