Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: log file of programs
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers log file of programs Post 35365 by yls177 on Tuesday 8th of April 2003 10:25:03 PM
Old 04-08-2003
gulp..... that looks tough.. went to sam, but didnt see anything like type tool kind of stuff

what i want to achieve.. like say oracle.

is it possible to have a log file of whatever i did in svrmgrl. some applicatoins have already did that into their own programs. However, for some, they dont.. so i was thinking as UNix pple like us, we can come up with anything?

thanks
yls177

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where did my programs go?

I notice that (Mandrake) Linux and Windows do not seem to operate alike in terms of installing third party software. Windows, on one hand, creates icons and adds items to the Start Menu, with the help of the InstallShield--or equivalent, of course, but Linux, on the other hand, seems to care... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: helvetica
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell programs

how to write pipe for finding out the login names and login time of the users whose login name begins with p. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rameshparsa
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Config file use in Shell Programs...

I wanted to know the format everyone uses for cfg files that are called by shell programs. I do mostly sh and ksh scripts and many times I'm modifying an existing script to do another task. Recently I have been making my scripts more generic and using configuration files to hold uniq details.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomas
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What programs access shared library file

I was curious how to tell which programs are accessing a file (libobjc.A.dylib) in /usr/lib This file seems to be the culprit in a bunch of Safari crashes, and I just wanted to know if and what other programs use it. Also, I was curious what a good way to find out what files are being written... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help with calling programs

Hi. I have a problem in running a program in linux system. This program (damaver.l86) is in the path /home/shenk/damaver/, and it needs to call another program (supcomb.l86) in another path /home/shenk/supcomb/. I tried to modified the .bash_profile, but it didn't work. The error message is always... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shenk
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Are programs like sys_open( ) ,sys_read( ) et al examples of system level programs ?

Are the programs written on schedulers ,thread library , process management, memory management, et al called systems programs ? How are they different from the programs that implement functions like open() , printf() , scanf() , read() .. they have a prefix sys_open, sys_close, sys_read etc , right... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vishwamitra
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

File maintenance programs/scripts ala logrotate

Hi all, Before I start writing my own file maintenance script, maybe one such program/scripts already exist somewhere :-) Am looking for a file maintenance script/application that is configurable that I can use to process files under certain criteria, for example, removing files that are... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
4 Replies

8. Programming

Makefiles for different programs

I have several programs in several directories and want to use make to build the executables. What I have done is to put the main programs in their own directory together with a makefile to build the program. Then I am thinking of having another makefile residing in the directory above so I can run... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kristinu
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read same file simultaneously with two different programs

Hi all, I was just wondering if there are any consequences, or if its a problem to have a multiple scripts parsing (reading) the same file simultaneously. For example, I have file.txt with lots of information. cat script1.sh grep "awesome" file1.txt > awesome.txt cat script2.sh grep -v... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: torchij
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between inbuilt suid programs and user defined root suid programs under bash shell?

Hey guys, Suppose i run passwd via bash shell. It is a suid program, which temporarily runs as root(owner) and modifies the user entries. However, when i write a C file and give 4755 permission and root ownership to the 'a.out' file , it doesn't run as root in bash shell. I verified this by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: syncmaster
2 Replies
log(8)							      System Manager's Manual							    log(8)

NAME
log - Records input and output from a program SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/log <logfile> <command> OPERANDS
The file in which to record the interaction being logged. The command to execute. DESCRIPTION
The log program runs <command> and logs the input to and output from <command> to the <logfile> file. Input and output are logged until <command> exits, the log program exits, and the exit status of <command> is returned. The log program is used by the system installation procedure and the it(8) command to create the /var/adm/smlogs/install.log and /var/adm/smlogs/it.log installation log files. RESTRICTIONS
Because the log program is used in the installation standalone environment, program size was the greatest concern in its implementation. The log program does not search for the PATH variable to locate <command> and error messages are terse. The log program causes <command> to take standard input from and write standard output and standard error to UNIX pipes. Some commands will not be able to operate in this environment; therefore, it is suggested that you use the script(1) command instead. UNIX shells will not issue prompts when run from log unless the shell is started with an explicit interactive switch (-i for most shells). For example, log foo.tmp /sbin/sh -i In the previous example, foo.tmp is the name of <logfile>. The log program intercepts end-of-file (usually Ctrl/d). Therefore programs which normally receive end-of-file as an exit command must exit by some other means. ERRORS
Log open error Explanation: The log program was unable to open <logfile>. Verify that the directory exists and that ownerships and permissions are set correctly. Exec Error Explanation: The log program was unable to execute <command>. Verify that you specified a full pathname for <command> and that <command> is an exe- cutable file. Fork Error Explanation: The log program was unable to create one of the processes it requires to log data. SEE ALSO
Commands: it(8), script(1) log(8)