Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers filesize from a file which has the list of files. Post 35339 by TioTony on Tuesday 8th of April 2003 01:22:58 AM
Old 04-08-2003
This should work.

files=`cat myfile`
total=0
for i in $files
do
size=`ls -l $i| awk '{print $5}'|sed 's/ //g'`
total=`expr $total + $size`
done
echo $total

I think there is a way with a single ls | awk but can't remember how to do it off the top of my head.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capture output of program to file with limited filesize

I'm working on a script that will perform a backup, save a log of said backup and send the output to me in an email. Everything is working fine so far except that I can't figure out how to specify a maximum file size for the log file. I don't want a runaway log file jamming up the server.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: spectre_240sx
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort top 5 files by FileSize

Hi All, i have one simple question on unix command. I have number files under one directiory and includes sub directories as well. Here, i need to find top 5 files whose sizes are big when compared to other files in ascending or descending order. please note that i need unix command for this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbsurf
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ls > file - Creating file containing the list of all files present in a directory

Hi All, I need to create a file which contains the list of all the files present in that directory. e.g., ls /export/home/user/*.dat > list_file.dat but what i am getting is: $ ls /export/home/user/*.dat > list_file.dat /export/home/user/*.dat: No such file or directory But I have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pranavagarwal
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in finding filesize , moving file , gzipping file

Hi , Please help with the following questions 1) how can i find size of a file ? i have written du -k $flname > s1 . Is this right ? Any other better suggeastions ? 2) how do I use mv command for moving the file ? I need the syntax with some examples 3) Command for printing the total... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Learning!
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Take a list if strings from a file and search them in a list of files and report them

I have a file 1.txt with the below contents. -----cat 1.txt----- 1234 5678 1256 1234 1247 ------------------- I have 3 more files in a folder -----ls -lrt------- A1.txt A2.txt A3.txt ------------------- The contents of those three files are similar format with different data values... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: realspirituals
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

File name from a List of files

Hi, Greetings!! I'm grepping a string from a series of files, using the below code (how ever the awk is not grepping between 'from' & 'to' time!) awk '$0>=$from&&$0<=$to' from=$START_TIME to=$STOP_TIME $logpath/UL_`date +%Y%m%d`_Scheduler*.log.csv > temp-grep.txt Out of 50 files,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhargav_k
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get filesize and checksum of spooled file in a log file ...

Hi All, I have spooled some data in a file (a.dat, b.dat etc..) and after that I want to get the size and checksum of spooled file (a.dat, b.dat etc..) in a log file(file_info.log). By the way I dont want lost the previous output file info(Append data). View of log file that I want to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ce_emre21
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

File that Contains a List of Files

I have a first text file (LoopFiles.txt) that contains another list of text files. I need to run NAWK commands on each of the files that are listed in the first text file. I have proven the existence of the first file with ls -l But I get a message that my first file doesnt exist. cd... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: he204035
5 Replies

9. Programming

Perl - Moving file based upon filesize in folder

Hi I'm trying to look through a series of directories in A folder, lets just call it A: for example: A/1 A/2 A/3 Etc and I wish to move the files in the folder if they are bigger than a certain size into a structure like below: A/TooBig/1 A/TooSmall/1 A/TooBig/2 A/TooSmall/2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: PerlNewbRP
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

While loop a file containing list of file names until the files are found?

Hi, I have a control file which will contain all filenames(300) files. Loop through all the file names in the control files and check the existence of this file in another directory(same server). I need to infinitely(2 hrs) run this while loop until all the files are found. Once a file is found,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
5 Replies