Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Replacing Boot Disk in Solaris Post 35321 by RTM on Monday 7th of April 2003 10:07:43 AM
Old 04-07-2003
Try this procedure at docs.sun.com

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing root / boot files

Hi everybody, I am running SCO-V openserver platform running on P-100. How can I replace root / boot files ? I want to do this because, if my system is not getting booted or my root is corrupted, I want to just replace this with the back up taken or boot/root floppy. Usually I am restoring... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skant
1 Replies

2. Solaris

solaris boot problem boot error loading interpreter(misc/krtld)

When I installed the SOLARIS 10 OS first time, the desktop would not start up, this was because of network setup. Reinstalled worked. After a week due to some problem I had to reinstall OS, installation went fine and but when i reboot I get this error. cannot find mis/krtld boot error loading... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: johncy_j
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris DiskSuite, boot from detached disk

Hi, I am running Solaris 8 on Sun server with 2 hard drives. I have configured mirroring on the system using DiskSuite tool in order to have the same data on both disks. Now I want to perform some software upgrade and I would like to use the second disk as a backup disk. This means taking this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: carlossg
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Disk needs replacing?

A mirror Raid system with two disk (probabaly raid1: Sun solaris Netra 240) the following error occured when I look at it with metastat : d101: Submirror of d100 State: Needs maintenance Invoke: metareplace d100 c1t0d0s5 <new device> is there any advice that it indicates that... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: xramm
15 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris x86 installation using jumpstart does not local boot ( boot from hdd)

I am trying to install Solaris x86 using the Jumpstart server. I run the add_install_client command with appropriate options, and reboot my x86 Target box. The installation starts fine and unattended. After the installation completes and the target goes for a re-boot, it does not boot from the HDD... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemalsid
9 Replies

6. AIX

replacing mirror disk

Hi Admins, I am new into aix.I was surfing aix pages and reading how to replace failed mirror disks.I read in one of the posts that we have to reboot the server to replace the disk. actually i was a HPUX admin and many times replaced root mirror disk online.Ofcourse it was hot swappable. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newaix
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Create a boot disk mirror on Solaris 10 x86

I’m setting up a boot disk mirror on Solaris 10 x86. I’m used to doing it on SPARC, where you can copy the partition table using fmthard. My x86 boot disk has 2 primary partitions, a Solaris one and a diagnostic one. Is there a way to copy those 2 primary partitions to the second disk without... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: TKD
6 Replies

8. Solaris

Need help replacing a mirrored boot disk

I have a v480 with a mirrored boot disk c1t0 and c1t1. The drives themselves don't show a failure but the mirror's need maintenance. This is my plan for replacing the drive. I would love feedback to point out what I"m missing or where my steps are incorrect. Two things I believe I'm... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcoffey
3 Replies

9. Solaris

How to specify local boot up disk in CD boot Grub?

Hi Solaris 10 Experts, I am wondering what is the correct syntax to edit in Grub when trying to specify the local ZFS boot disk while booting up from a Solaris 10 x86 64bits DVD installation disk. In other word, I try to boot up from local disk without removing the Solaris installation disk... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gjackson123
0 Replies

10. Solaris

Use 'dd' to copy boot disk to larger target disk

Hi, I'm looking to copy a boot disk on an old Solaris 8 system using dd. I'll bring the system down to single user mode and begin from there. I'm copying my source disk to a larger target disk. Do I need to do anything other than the 'dd' command below because the target disk is bigger? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcman
2 Replies
BAD144(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 BAD144(8)

NAME
bad144 - read/write DEC standard 144 bad sector information SYNOPSIS
bad144 disktype disk [ sno [ bad ... ] ] DESCRIPTION
Bad144 can be used to inspect the information stored on a disk that is used by the disk drivers to implement bad sector forwarding. The format of the information is specified by DEC standard 144, as follows. The bad sector information is located in the first 5 even numbered sectors of the last track of the disk pack. There are five identical copies of the information, described by the dkbad structure. Only the first of these copies is used. Replacement sectors are allocated starting with the first sector before the bad sector information and working backwards towards the begin- ning of the disk. A maximum of 126 bad sectors can be supported. The position of the bad sector in the bad sector table determines which replacement sector it corresponds to. The bad sector information and replacement sectors are conventionally only accessible through the ``h'' file system partition of the disk. If that partition is used for a file system, the user is responsible for making sure that it does not overlap the bad sector information or any replacement sectors. The bad sector structure is as follows: struct dkbad { long bt_csn; /* cartridge serial number */ u_short bt_mbz; /* unused; should be 0 */ u_short bt_flag; /* -1 => alignment cartridge */ struct bt_bad { u_short bt_cyl; /* cylinder number of bad sector */ u_short bt_trksec; /* track and sector number */ } bt_bad[MAXBAD]; }; Unused slots in the bt_bad array are filled with all bits set, a putatively illegal value. MAXBAD (in <sys/dkbad.h>) may be tuned locally to reduce the space required to hold the bad-sector file in memory. It may not be greater than 126, which uses the whole disk sector. Bad sectors past MAXBAD may be included by the formatter, but replacement sectors will not be used until MAXBAD is increased. Bad144 is invoked by giving a device type (e.g. rk07, rm03, rm05, etc.), and a device name (e.g. hk0, hp1, etc.). It reads the first sec- tor of the last track of the corresponding disk and prints out the bad sector information. It may also be invoked giving a serial number for the pack and a list of bad sectors, and will then write the supplied information onto the same location. Note, however, that bad144 does not arrange for the specified sectors to be marked bad in this case. This option should only be used to restore known bad sector information which was destroyed. New bad sectors can be added by running the standard DEC formatter in section ``bad.'' SEE ALSO
badsect(8) BUGS
Not all drivers support bad-sector forwarding on the PDP-11. It should be possible to both format disks on-line under UNIX and to change the bad sector information, marking new bad sectors, without running a standalone program. The bootstrap drivers used to boot the system do not understand bad sectors or handle ECC errors. This means that none of these errors can occur when reading the file /unix to boot. Sector 0 of the disk drive and the file /boot in the root file system of that drive must also not have any of these errors in it. The drivers that write a system core image on disk after a crash do not handle errors; thus the crash dump area must be free of errors and bad sectors. 3rd Berkeley Distribution BAD144(8)