Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help with SCCS
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help with SCCS Post 34923 by Perderabo on Friday 21st of March 2003 01:23:25 PM
Old 03-21-2003
The delta command has a -y option that can be used to supply the comment. If you use the -y option to supply a cooment, delta doesn't also ask for a comment, it just used whatever you supllied as a argument to -y.

So you can write a script called "delta" that will ask for a comment. The script will perform whatever tests you think appropriate on the supplied comment. If it doesn't like the comment, it will ask again.

Once it has a comment that it likes, it will then call the real delta program. It will pass the real delta all of the arguments that were supplied to the wrapper script. And it will add a -y with the approved comment.

You need to make sure that the wrapper script is invoked when the user types "delta". This could be done by putting it earlier in the path than the real delta. Or you could give the users aliases that point to your script. You could also rename the real delta command to be real.delta or something.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with SCCS

I am having some problem while creating a new sccs file. During initial creation of the file the SCCS is not storing the file in actual format with the result that the SCCS file is different from my original file. Any way to avoid this?? Nitin (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nitinmalik
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SCCS (Source Code)

Hello, I'm wondering if anyone out there have experience using the SCCS source code in Unix? If so, can you recommend a good (user friendly) SCCS book for beginner users. Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mary
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help With Sccs.

Hi , I am currently using Source Code Control System (SCCS) to keep track of my documents. There are several User that update the document. As we all know that after editing it prompts for the comment. But even if somebody just hits return it accepts it. I would like that after the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rooh
1 Replies

4. HP-UX

Sccs

Hi Can i know what are the default Source code control system used by hp-ux 9.x,10.x and Solaris9 Regards Charles C. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: charlcy
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Sccs

Hi Can i know what are the default Source code control system used by hp-ux 9.x,10.x and Solaris9 Regards Charles C. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: charlcy
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

rcs,sccs

I am not really sure whether i am posting this question in the right forum.....Can someone tell me why I should go for a rational Clearcase version controller when I can use the version controllers 'rcs' or 'sccs' available in UNIX. I want to know the advantage of Rational over these two. Also, I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abhishek Ghose
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to make sccs work

I am trying to use SCCS for project development . Can any one list out the basic setup nneded to be done for SCCS . I mean if I create a SCCS directory what all files to create on this . i don't have a root password of the system and I am not going to get one . I saw few post on this forum... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: akrathi
1 Replies

8. HP-UX

SCCS problem when copying files

I have created a SCCS directory with version 1.1. It has say A.txt (for simplicity) Now updated files are present in other directory. If I copy A.txt it wont be effected in SCCS. How do I make this A.text to be version 1.2?? Please help! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: superprogrammer
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sccs get -ek command is throwing err

Hi, get -ek s.Communicator.java The difference between the current date and the creation date of the newest delta in the SCCS file is greater than 1 year. Make sure that the system date is set correctly. This message is only a warning. (co11) 14.3 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shivaprasad BS
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with SCCS

I am having some problem while creating a new sccs file. During initial creation of the file the SCCS is not storing the file in actual format with the result that the SCCS file is different from my original file. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Allgemeine12
1 Replies
sccs-cdc(1)							   User Commands						       sccs-cdc(1)

NAME
sccs-cdc, cdc - change the delta commentary of an SCCS delta SYNOPSIS
/usr/ccs/bin/cdc -rsid [-mmr-list] [ -y [comment]] s.filename... DESCRIPTION
cdc annotates the delta commentary for the SCCS delta ID (SID) specified by the -r option in each named s.file. If the v flag is set in the s.file, you can also use cdc to update the Modification Request (MR) list. If you checked in the delta, or, if you own the file and directory and have write permission, you can use cdc to annotate the commentary. Rather than replacing the existing commentary, cdc inserts the new comment you supply, followed by a line of the form: *** CHANGED *** yy/mm/dd hh/mm/ss username above the existing commentary. If a directory is named as the s.filename argument, the cdc command applies to all s.files in that directory. Unreadable s.files produce an error; processing continues with the next file (if any). If `-' is given as the s.filename argument, each line of the standard input is taken as the name of an SCCS history file to be processed, and the -m and -y options must be used. OPTIONS
-rsid Specify the SID of the delta to change. -mmr-list Specify one or more MR numbers to add or delete. When specifying more than one MR on the command line, mr-list takes the form of a quoted, space-separated list. To delete an MR number, precede it with a ! character (an empty MR list has no effect). A list of deleted MRs is placed in the comment section of the delta commentary. If -m is not used and the stan- dard input is a terminal, cdc prompts with MRs? for the list (before issuing the comments? prompt). -m is only useful when the v flag is set in the s.file. If that flag has a value, it is taken to be the name of a program to validate the MR num- bers. If that validation program returns a non-zero exit status, cdc terminates and the delta commentary remains unchanged. -y[comment] Use comment as the annotation in the delta commentary. The previous comments are retained; the comment is added along with a notation that the commentary was changed. A null comment leaves the commentary unaffected. If -y is not specified and the standard input is a terminal, cdc prompts with comments? for the text of the notation to be added. An unescaped NEW- LINE character terminates the annotation text. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Changing the annotated commentary The following command: example% cdc -r1.6 -y"corrected commentary" s.program.c produces the following annotated commentary for delta 1.6 in s.program.c: D 1.6 88/07/05 23:21:07 username 9 0 00001/00000/00000 MRs: COMMENTS: corrected commentary *** CHANGED *** 88/07/07 14:09:41 username performance enhancements in main() FILES
z.file temporary lock file ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWsprot | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sccs(1), sccs-admin(1), sccs-comb(1), sccs-delta(1), sccs-help(1), sccs-prs(1), sccs-prt(1), sccs-rmdel(1), what(1), sccsfile(4), attributes(5) DIAGNOSTICS
Use the SCCS help command for explanations (see sccs-help(1)). SunOS 5.10 1 Nov 1999 sccs-cdc(1)