Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Working out time differences
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Working out time differences Post 34858 by rik1551 on Tuesday 18th of March 2003 06:38:21 AM
Old 03-18-2003
Working out time differences

Hi everyone,

I need to be able to write into a ksh script, a function that can look at 2 24 hour time variables and work out the difference between them.

e.g

job1 runs at 21:00
job2 runs at 01:00

diff = 04:00 hours

I would also need negative numbers i.e where job1 runs after job2

can anybody help?

cheers

Rik

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Time change not working...

Hi, I am pretty new to the Solaris world. Just installed the version 8 and found that the time is off. I am in the Central time zone. In the beginning, the date and time was off by a day. After changing the /etc/default/init, there is no avail. The date is now correct but the time is still 5 hours... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: conflansun
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Working out end time from start + elapsed

Hi, I'm writing a script and have become stuck trying to define a variable (COMP) by adding an elapsed time (ELAPSE e.g 00:55) to a start time (START e.g 23:50). Can anybody give me a solution as to how I can get a completion time in hh:mm from the variables above? thanks Richard (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rik1551
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date/time differences

A thanks to all ahead of time. I've checked previous posts about this subject and can't find any that quite fit what I need. If I've missed the post could you point me there. When I do an ls -al I get the following output: -rw-r--r-- 1 staff staff 855 July 24 20:05 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gillr
4 Replies

4. Programming

C program in Unix / Linux - Time differences

Hi Friends, When Iam running c program in redhat linux 7.3 version and PCQ Linux 8.0 version, its taking around 20 seconds. But when Iam running it in HP-UX Release 11i, its taking around 3 minutes. Can anyone throw light on this. Thanks in advance, Praveen. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: chprvkmr
11 Replies

5. Solaris

difficult time differences

:rolleyes: Hi, How to take the time diffence between start and finish time from a log file? It is like ..... started at Jun 20 23:20 . . ..... finished at Jun 21 01:40 Tryed so many ways but failed to ger exact way. :confused: Your help will be honoured. Ta........Lokesha (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Differences between time command and usr/bin/time

I wondered if someone could point out the differences between the time commmand and usr/bin/time and the accuracy one might have over another. Also, is there a website or two a person could maybe link for me to describe the differences? Thank you for your time. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: icedrake
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Differences between 2 Flat Files and process the differences

Hi Hope you are having a great weeknd !! I had a question and need your expertise for this : I have 2 files File1 & File2(of same structure) which I need to compare on some columns. I need to find the values which are there in File2 but not in File 1 and put the Differences in another file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_8398
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make diff show differences one line at a time and not group them?

Is there a way to tell diff to show differences one line at a time and not to group them? For example, I have two files: file1: line 1 line 2 line 3 diff line 4 diff line 5 diff line 6 line 7 file2: line 1 line 2 line 3 diff. line 4 diff. line 5 diff. line 6 line 7 (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmr11408
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why is sort -k not working all the time?

I have a script that puts a list of files in two separate arrays: First, I get a file list from a ZIP file and fill `FIRST_Array()` with it. Second, I get a file list from a control file within a ZIP file and fill `SECOND_Array()` with it while read length date time filename ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: alan
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Comparing time differences between 2 Solaris servers

Good day to all. I'm relatively new in using the Sun Solaris OS. I would like to request your expertise in helping to solve a problem that I have at work. Not sure if this has been asked before but I have tried searching through the internet to no avail. Basically I have 2 sun solaris... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fossil_84
8 Replies
service(8)						      System Manager's Manual							service(8)

NAME
service - run a System V init script SYNOPSIS
service SCRIPT COMMAND [OPTIONS] service --status-all service --help | -h | --version DESCRIPTION
service runs a System V init script in as predictable an environment as possible, removing most environment variables and with the current working directory set to /. The SCRIPT parameter specifies a System V init script, located in /etc/init.d/SCRIPT. The supported values of COMMAND depend on the invoked script. service passes COMMAND and OPTIONS to the init script unmodified. All scripts should support at least the start and stop commands. As a special case, if COMMAND is --full-restart, the script is run twice, first with the stop command, then with the start com- mand. service --status-all runs all init scripts, in alphabetical order, with the status command. EXIT CODES
service calls the init script and returns the status returned by it. FILES
/etc/init.d The directory containing System V init scripts. ENVIRONMENT
LANG, TERM The only environment variables passed to the init scripts. SEE ALSO
/etc/init.d/skeleton, update-rc.d(8), init(8), invoke-rc.d(8). Jan 2006 service(8)