Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help! Newbie in the house!!!
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help! Newbie in the house!!! Post 3480 by htsubamoto on Tuesday 3rd of July 2001 12:17:10 PM
Old 07-03-2001
when you issue the command "ftp" you must issue a hostname (or its IP address). If you did not issued the hostname, you can use the " open " command inside ftp. When you get the prompt, type:

ftp> open <hostname>

then you will be asked for an username and a password.

At ftp´s prompt you can type " help ":

ftp> help
Commands may be abbreviated. Commands are:

! help recv
$ image reinitialize
account lcd remotehelp
append local rename
glob quote ?
hash record
ftp>

If ou use unix, the better way is do use man ftp to know the commands.

telnet is similar to ftp. Try out.

HTT

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Automatic House keeping in UNIX

I have a directory called 'test' which contains many junk files. I want to automate the clean-up task by removing all files which are older than one month. What would be the best option? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: augustinep
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

house keeping script

Hi, I am not aware whether any one has posted this early or not. I am creating a house keeping script in which I give the user two options: 1. creating a zip file. 2. removing all files given by user. Before taking any action I am asking user to enter full path of file or files to be... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rakesh Bhat
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX newbie NEWBIE question!

Hello everyone, Just started UNIX today! In our school we use solaris. I just want to know how do I setup Solaris 10 not the GUI one, the one where you have to type the commands like ECHO, ls, pwd, etc... I have windows xp and I also have vmware. I hope I am not missing anything! :p (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hanamachi
4 Replies

4. OS X (Apple)

Apple looking to switch to using in-house ARM chips for their HW.

Hi guys and gals... Intel reportedly expects Apple to start the Mac's transition to ARM next year - 9to5Mac (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
0 Replies
System Administration Commands				 etrn(8)

NAME
etrn - start mail queue run SYNOPSIS
etrn [-v] server-host [client-hosts] DESCRIPTION
SMTP's ETRN command allows an SMTP client and server to interact, giving the server an opportunity to start the pro cessing of its queues for messages to go to a given host. This is meant to be used in start-up conditions, as well as for mail nodes that have transient connections to their ser vice providers. The etrn utility initiates an SMTP session with the host server-host and sends one or more ETRN commands as follows: If no client-hosts are specified, etrn looks up every host name for which sendmail(1M) accepts email and, for each name, sends an ETRN command with that name as the argument. If any client-hosts are specified, etrn uses each of these as arguments for successive ETRN commands. OPTIONS
The following option is supported: -v The normal mode of operation for etrn is to do all of its work silently. The -v option makes it verbose, which causes etrn to display its conversations with the remote SMTP server. ENVIRONMENT
No environment variables are used. FILES
/etc/mail/sendmail.cf sendmail configuration file SEE ALSO
sendmail(1M), RFC 1985. CAVEATS
Not all SMTP servers support ETRN. CREDITS
Leveraged from David Muir Sharnoff's expn.pl script. Chris tian von Roques added support for args and fixed a couple of bugs. AVAILABILITY
The latest version of etrn is available in the contrib directory of the sendmail distribution through anonymous ftp at ftp://ftp.sendmail.org/ucb/src/sendmail/. AUTHOR
John T. Beck <john@beck.org>