Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help! Newbie in the house!!!
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help! Newbie in the house!!! Post 3480 by htsubamoto on Tuesday 3rd of July 2001 12:17:10 PM
Old 07-03-2001
when you issue the command "ftp" you must issue a hostname (or its IP address). If you did not issued the hostname, you can use the " open " command inside ftp. When you get the prompt, type:

ftp> open <hostname>

then you will be asked for an username and a password.

At ftp´s prompt you can type " help ":

ftp> help
Commands may be abbreviated. Commands are:

! help recv
$ image reinitialize
account lcd remotehelp
append local rename
glob quote ?
hash record
ftp>

If ou use unix, the better way is do use man ftp to know the commands.

telnet is similar to ftp. Try out.

HTT

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Automatic House keeping in UNIX

I have a directory called 'test' which contains many junk files. I want to automate the clean-up task by removing all files which are older than one month. What would be the best option? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: augustinep
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

house keeping script

Hi, I am not aware whether any one has posted this early or not. I am creating a house keeping script in which I give the user two options: 1. creating a zip file. 2. removing all files given by user. Before taking any action I am asking user to enter full path of file or files to be... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rakesh Bhat
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX newbie NEWBIE question!

Hello everyone, Just started UNIX today! In our school we use solaris. I just want to know how do I setup Solaris 10 not the GUI one, the one where you have to type the commands like ECHO, ls, pwd, etc... I have windows xp and I also have vmware. I hope I am not missing anything! :p (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hanamachi
4 Replies

4. OS X (Apple)

Apple looking to switch to using in-house ARM chips for their HW.

Hi guys and gals... Intel reportedly expects Apple to start the Mac's transition to ARM next year - 9to5Mac (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
0 Replies
XRLOGIN(1)						      General Commands Manual							XRLOGIN(1)

NAME
xrlogin - start an xterm that uses ssh (or optionally rlogin or telnet) to connect to a remote host SYNOPSIS
xrlogin [-l username] [-rlogin|-telnet] [xterm options] remote-host DESCRIPTION
Xrlogin opens an xterm window and runs ssh, rlogin or telnet to login to a remote host. Xrlogin automatically passes the -name argument to xterm with a value of "xterm-hostname" where hostname is the name of the remote host. This allows the user to specify resources in their server's resource manager which are specific to xterms from a given host. For example, this feature can be used to make all xterm windows to a given remote host be the same color or use a specific font or start up in a spe- cific place on the screen. Xrsh(1) passes the same string so they are compatible in this regard. Xrlogin specifies that the default title for the new xterm will be "hostname" where hostname is the name of the remote host. This and the -name argument above can be overridden with xterm-options on the command line. One could also use xrlogin's sister command xrsh(1) to open a window to a remote host. In the case of xrsh, the xterm would run on the remote host and use X as the connection protocol while xrlogin would run the xterm on the local host and use rlogin or telnet as the con- nection protocol. See xrsh(1) for a discussion of the merits of each scheme. OPTIONS
-l username When not using -telnet, use username as the id to login to the remote host. -rlogin Use the rlogin protocol to open the connection. In general rlogin is preferred because it can be configured to not prompt the user for a password. Rlogin also automatically propagates window size change signals (SIGWINCH) to the remote host so that applications running there will learn of a new window size. -telnet Use the -telnet protocol to open the connection. Use of telnet provided mostly for hosts that don't support rlogin. COMMON PROBLEMS
Make sure that the local host is specified in the .rhosts file on the remote host or in the remote hosts /etc/hosts.equiv file. See rlogin(1) for more information. EXAMPLES
xrlogin -bg red yoda Start a local red xterm which connects to the remote host yoda using rlogin. xrlogin -telnet c70 Open a local xterm which connects to the remote host c70 using telnet. SEE ALSO
xrsh(1), rlogin(1), telnet(1) AUTHOR
James J. Dempsey <jjd@jjd.com> and Stephen Gildea <gildea@intouchsys.com>. X Version 11 Release 6 XRLOGIN(1)