Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: opening floppy
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers opening floppy Post 34697 by dangral on Wednesday 5th of March 2003 12:35:17 PM
Old 03-05-2003
I dont think samba is really necessary in this situation. First of all, since it is a unix file, you might want to run the unix2dos command (check the man pages).
Also, Windows has an option to show hidden files. In my version of windows (XP), you navigate to windows explorer and click on tools--> Folder options-->view. There you can show hidden files.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copying to a floppy

how do i copy a file from solaris to a floppy drive. today is my first day using solaris (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: parksr
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

boot floppy

hello , i have sun sparc machine with sunos2.7 , the machine has a cdrom but no floppy drive , it is networked with windows machine , from where i can use ftp and telnet. can i use floppy drive of windows machine and create a boot image(of unix) on that drive, using ftp? thanx raju (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: raju
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Suse Floppy not available

HI, I installed Suse 8.1 on an Emachine with a Cyrix processor equivelent to Pentium II. The dmesg reveals that the floppy was recognised, and there is an icon on the desktop for it, but when I trey to access it, it is not available. If I access it from a terminal window, the error I get... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sonshyne5
7 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Writing to a floppy

For some reason I cannot get my UNIX box on my network so I have no way of tranferring files from it or to it. Does anyone.....anyone know how I redirect my output or write to the floppy? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jlrusso
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

floppy

i manage to screw up alittle i entered in /etc/fstab mount /dev/fd0 msdos /mnt/floppy 2 2 or something and now when i boot i get an error like this The following file systems had an unexpected inconsistency: msdos: /dev/fd0 (/mnt/floppy) Unknown error; Help! init: /bin/sh on /etc/rc... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ekizz
3 Replies

6. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

I cant access the floppy

I have two Digital boxs... vintage mid90's OS DEC Unix... I need to write an ASCII file to the floppy drive for transfer to a Windows box. The boxes are isolated. No email, no internet, no network... except between each other. A primary and a backup. I examined /dev and found two... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ChrisCram
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix to a floppy

If I need to copy files in Unix to a floppydisk so that the disk is compatible with extended FAT16 and can be read by Windows XP-Do I mount the floppy disk to use ufs? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rhonda
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

USB Floppy

How can we install usb floppy drive in SCO 5.0.6 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: irshad ishaque
1 Replies

9. HP-UX

Can not initialize the floppy

Hello Everyone, Has anyboby ever come across the problem when fd refuses to get initialised. I try to use mediainit command, the fd is being accessed (the fd's LIT is green for some secs) but then I get the message - "Initialize media command failed - permission denied" I checked the diskette,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Andrey Malishev
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

regarding floppy

Regarding floppy drive .. I need a command or a method by which i can detect a floppy drive is present or not ? Thanks, Priya. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: priyam
4 Replies
9wm(1)							      General Commands Manual							    9wm(1)

NAME
9wm - 8-1/2-like Window Manager for X SYNOPSIS
9wm [ -grey ] [ -version ] [ -font fname ] [ -term termprog ] [ exit|restart ] DESCRIPTION
9wm is a window manager for X which attempts to emulate the window management policies of Plan 9's 8-1/2 window manager. The -grey option makes the background light grey, as does 8-1/2. Use this option for maximum authenticity. -font fname sets the font in 9wm's menu to fname, overriding the default. -term termprog specifies an alternative program to run when the New menu item is selected. -version prints the current version on standard error, then exits. To make 9wm exit, you have to run 9wm exit on the command line. There is no ``exit'' menu item. 9wm is click-to-type: it has a notion of the current window, which is usually on top, and always has its border darkened. Characters typed at the keyboard go to the current window, and mouse clicks outside the current window are swallowed up by 9wm. To make another window the current one, click on it with button 1. Unlike other X window managers, 9wm implements `mouse focus': mouse events are sent only to the current window. A menu of window operations is available by pressing button 3 outside the current window. The first of these, New, attempts to spawn a 9term process (or xterm if 9term is not available). The new 9term will request that its outline be swept using button 3 of the mouse, by changing the cursor. (xterm defaults to a fixed size, and thus wants to be dragged; pressing button 3 places it.) The next four menu items are Reshape, Move, Delete, and Hide. All of the operations change the cursor into a target, prompting the user to click button 3 on one of the windows to select it for the operation. At this stage, clicking button 1 or 2 will abort the operation. Oth- erwise, if the operation was Resize, the user is prompted to sweep out the new outline with button 3. If it was Move, the user should keep the button held down after the initial click that selected the window, and drag the window to the right place before releasing. In either case, button 1 or 2 will abort the operation. If the Delete operation is selected, the window will be deleted when the button is released. This typically kills the client that owns the window. The Hide operation just makes the window invisible. While hidden, the window's name appears on the bottom of the button 3 menu. Selecting that item brings the window back (unhides it). This operation replaces the iconification feature provided by other window man- agers. BUGS
Is not completely compatible with 8-1/2. There is a currently a compiled-in limit of 32 hidden windows. SEE ALSO
9term(1), xterm(1). 9wm(1)