Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers solaris File system question ( UFS ) Post 34652 by i2admin on Tuesday 4th of March 2003 05:33:32 AM
Old 03-04-2003
solaris File system question ( UFS )

Hello all,
I'm ufs file system, how can u use the same disk in another machine with the data in tact? to make it clear, I've an ufs FS in a mount point /file1 ( 8GB). now they decide to reintall the OS. After the reinstall, how can i get the same data as it is? will mounting the disk as /file1 give me back all the data? so id there some other thing that i need to take care.?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

increasing ufs file system size in solaris

How do i increase the filesystem size on a root partition? There is a slice with root on it, its like 2 gigs and nothing else is broken out except home. I want to increase root filesystem (and slice) and break out /usr and /var. This is solaris 9, only has solaris volume manager on it. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
6 Replies

2. Solaris

How to remove a ufs file system?

Hello, On a box with Solaris 10 I created a ufs file system and now I need to remove that file system. How do I remove a ufs file system on Solaris 10? Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmichner
5 Replies

3. Solaris

UFS filesystem mounted on 2 hosts question

I have two Unix (Solaris) hosts that are both attached to our SAN. They are both presented with the same luns. What I want to do is have the same UFS filesystem mounted on both hosts at the same time. What I am trying to accomplish is creating a zone that will reside on both hosts but only... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beaker457
2 Replies

4. Solaris

ufs file system

I ;ve an application which has does not support zfs and i 've a 100Gb Lun with zfs on it , how to go back to ufs .. and use SVM for the same ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
2 Replies

5. Solaris

UFS File System Periodically Corrupted - What to check?

The system is a SunFire V440 running SunOS 5.10 About once every 3-4 weeks, the system will reboot into single user mode on its own, and then I run svcs -xv, the filesystem service and dependent services will be disabled due to the metadisk file system being corrupted. The I've been doing... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: the.gooch
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Mount ufs in ZFS system

Hi..I have installed Solaris 5.10 update 9 with ZFS system with RAID1. It is to be integrated with SAN which is UFS and . It is getting mounted but when i am rebooting server,it is getting removed from system. Pls let me know what all step need to follow for this. Thanks !! (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: deljatt
15 Replies

7. HP-UX

how to mount a file system from a solaris server into an hp-ux system

Hi all I wonder if its possible to mount on a hp-ux server a file system that was previously mounted on a solaris 10 server. The LUN is on NetApp stoarge. The problem on hp-ux I cannot do pvcreate on the lun (disk) because contains data. Any help will be appreciated FR (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
2 Replies

8. Solaris

restore dump from veritas format using ufs file system

hi all i have a DLT tape in that tape backup is there is in veritas volume format and i want to restore it in ufs file system how can i do it? right now i don't have veritas file system setup. i have only ufs file sysytem please help some production data is to be restore. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil kasar
3 Replies

9. Solaris

how to restore backup from veritas vm in ufs file system

Hi all I have a DLT tape in that tape backup is there is in veritas volume format and i want to restore it in ufs file system how can i do it? right now i don't have veritas file system setup. i have only ufs file sysytem please help some production data is to be restore. backup was taken... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil kasar
0 Replies

10. Solaris

OpenSolaris UFS Question

Hi there, Is it possible for OpenSolaris 2009 (or maybe Solaris 10) to work with the old AT&T Unix System V UFS file system? I recently install SysV, but I cant get files and programs to and from it. I would like to know if I could mount the Unix file system from Solaris, or format a floppy that I... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: BrentBANKS
9 Replies
installboot(1M)                                                                                                                    installboot(1M)

NAME
installboot - install bootblocks in a disk partition SYNOPSIS
installboot bootblk raw-disk-device The boot(1M) program, ufsboot, is loaded from disk by the bootblock program which resides in the boot area of a disk partition. The ufs boot objects are platform-dependent, and reside in the /usr/platform/platform-name/lib/fs/ufs directory. The platform name can be found using the -i option of uname(1). The installboot utility is a SPARC only program. It is not supported on the architecture. users should use installgrub(1M) instead. bootblk The name of the bootblock code. raw-disk-device The name of the disk device onto which the bootblock code is to be installed; it must be a character device which is read- able and writable. Naming conventions for a SCSI or IPI drive are c?t?d?s? and c?d?s? for an IDE drive. Example 1: Installing UFS Boot Block To install a ufs boot block on slice 0 of target 0 on controller 1 of the platform where the command is being run, use: example# installboot /usr/platform/`uname -i`/lib/fs/ufs/bootblk /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s0 /usr/platform/platform-name/lib/fs/ufs directory where ufs boot objects reside. /platform/platform-name/ufsboot second level program to boot from a disk or CD See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ od(1), uname(1), boot(1M), init(1M), kadb(1M), kernel(1M), monitor(1M), reboot(1M), rpc.bootparamd(1M), init.d(4), attributes(5) WARNINGS
The installboot utility fails if the bootblk or openfirmware files do not exist or if the raw disk device is not a character device. 11 Apr 2005 installboot(1M)