Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users What is the command in Openservr 5.0.4 in recovering from bad sector Post 34438 by RTM on Friday 21st of February 2003 09:26:36 AM
Old 02-21-2003
A couple of suggestions on PCUNIX - search - just search for unrecoverable error SCO
and it should bring up some suggestions - one is bad block

(Side note - you could have just added new info into this post instead of creating a new one since it has to do with the same problem.)

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

boot sector for Solaris 8

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone knows how to make a boot sector for Solaris 8. I'm trying to install solaris 8 via the network and I'm get error "files just loaded does not seem to be executable" at the ok propmt. Has anyone encouter this problem before? THANKS advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: larry
1 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

boot sector bad? or is is something else?

SuSE 8 Both LILO and GRUB are complaining about not being able to write to the boot sector. Is this definitely a problem with the drive or is there another possible problem? I've checked the BIOS and I don't think the problem is there....it's probably the drive. Just another Linux user (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HumanBeanDip
1 Replies

3. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

I need help bad, please help me with this command...

Hello all, I need to execute a dll with regserv32. Assuming the file is on the desktop... I thought the command was something like: regserv32 c:\windows\documents and settings\username\desktop\filename,RunDll But it is not working so I am sure it must be wrong. I need this asap so... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: komputersman
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Bad command error for date conversion

Hi, Iam trying to convert date and time to milliseconds which iam using in a script on Sun Solaris. I have searched the posts on the forum but i could not get any solution. The format iam using in script is: date -u "Thu Dec 24 00:01:00 EST 2009" But i get a bad command error. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyothi_wipro
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find command returning bad status--

would like to remove the post (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vk39221
8 Replies

6. Hardware

What are the possible action regarding having bad sector in my ext4 root partition?

Hi, I would like to ask about actions taken if any regarding having a few bad sector (67 bad sector according to DISK UTILITY) on my root ext partition except from buying a new HD and cloning it since my laptop is a 1 year old. Question: About clonzilla before this bad sector happens i used... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jao_madn
5 Replies

7. Solaris

How to isolate a bad dimm by command on Solaris 10 host?

Hello, I have a HP ProLiant DL385 ( X86 ) running Solaris 10 on it. Our hardware team passwd by server last night and noticed an amber light to indicate a possible bad dimm. /var/adm/messages, dmesg, prtdiag -v, all shows nothing. /opt/HPQhealth/sbin/hpasmcli indicated I have a bad... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunnychen98
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find command on a empty directory - bad status

when I run the following command in AIX (bash), find ./* I get the following error. find: bad status-- ./* Thats becasuse, its an empty directory. The same works, when there the directory is not empty. Even though the find deesnt have to rerun any result. My full find command would look... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepakwins
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Find command giving bad status error

In a fastload teradata utility I am trying to delete the files which are older than 30days using the find and rm command as following. find . -name 'xxx_*' -mtime +30 -exec rm -f {} \; I expect it to delete all the files older than 30 days but sometimes it gives an error : find: bad status--... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: stelkar
3 Replies
hdio(7I)							  Ioctl Requests							  hdio(7I)

NAME
hdio - SMD and IPI disk control operations SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/hdio.h> DESCRIPTION
Note - The SMC and IPI drivers have been discontinued. dkio(7I) is now the preferred method for retrieving disk information. The SMD and IPI disk drivers supplied with this release support a set of ioctl(2) requests for diagnostics and bad sector information. Basic to these ioctl() requests are the definitions in <sys/hdio.h>. IOCTLS
HDKIOCGTYPE The argument is a pointer to a hdk_type structure (described below). This ioctl() gets specific information from the hard disk. HDKIOCSTYPE The argument is a pointer to a hdk_type structure (described below). This ioctl() sets specific information about the hard disk. /* * Used for drive info */ struct hdk_type { ushort_t hdkt_hsect; /* hard sector count (read only) */ ushort_t hdkt_promrev; /* prom revision (read only) */ uchar_t hdkt_drtype; /* drive type (ctlr specific) */ uchar_t hdkt_drstat; /* drive status (ctlr specific, ro) */ }; HDKIOCGBAD The argument is a pointer to a hdk_badmap structure (described below). This ioctl() is used to get the bad sector map from the disk. HDKIOCSBAD The argument is a pointer to a hdk_badmap structure (described below). This ioctl() is used to set the bad sector map on the disk. /* * Used for bad sector map */ struct hdk_badmap { caddr_t hdkb_bufaddr; /* address of user's map buffer */ }; HDKIOCGDIAG The argument is a pointer to a hdk_diag structure (described below). This ioctl() gets the most recent command that failed along with the sector and error number from the hard disk. /* * Used for disk diagnostics */ struct hdk_diag { ushort_t hdkd_errcmd; /* most recent command in error */ daddr_t hdkd_errsect; /* most recent sector in error */ uchar_t hdkd_errno; /* most recent error number */ uchar_t hdkd_severe; /* severity of most recent error */ }; SEE ALSO
ioctl(2), dkio(7I) SunOS 5.10 13 Aug 2002 hdio(7I)