Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers linux, copy a:\file to /tmp in linux? Post 34401 by auswipe on Thursday 20th of February 2003 11:02:00 AM
Old 02-20-2003
Re: linux, copy a:\file to /tmp in linux?

Quote:
Originally posted by yls177
hi, i am on linux 8. i wanted to copy a file from my a:\filename to my linux 8 /tmp directroy. how do i do this or any directions as in how to accompilsh. thanks
You need to mount the floppy drive to do this.

Place floppy in the drive and issue the command:

mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

Where /mnt/floppy is a pre-existing sub-dir. You don't have to use /mnt/floppy, it can be any sub-dir.

Once you have done this, you can use cp like you normally would, ala:

Code:
cp /mnt/floppy/myFile /tmp

Once you are done, unmount the floppy with umount /dev/fd0 and you should be good to go.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Where do I download LINUX & UNIX?

Where can i get a copy of Unix or Linux?

where can i get a free copy of unix? any kind... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gregtampa
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command for copy file from CD to Linux box

Hi , I have simple question as i am beginner , I have to copy one file from cd(compact disc) to my linux box on some directory. With which command and how can i do that? Thanks sam71 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam70
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copy and paste certain many lines of huge file in linux

Dear All, I am working with windoes OS but remote a linux machine. I wonder the way to copy an paste some part of a huge file in linux machine. the contain of file like as follow: ... dump annealling all custom 10 anneal_*.dat id type x y z q timestep 0.02 run 200000 Memory... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ariesto
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

I want to copy a file from Linux

Hi Experts, I want to copy a file from a Linux machine to another Linux machine or a windows machine shared drive. I mean to say.. cp filename //hostname/shareddrive. I don't want to mount. Is there any way we can do it. Regards Naree Double post. Replies here moved to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: naree
0 Replies

5. SuSE

I want to copy a file from Linux

Hi Experts, I want to copy a file from a Linux machine to another Linux machine or a windows machine shared drive. I mean to say.. cp filename //hostname/shareddrive. I don't want to mount. Is there any way we can do it. Regards Naree (1 Reply)
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy directory from Linux to Windows

Hola a todos, soy realmente nuevo programando en bash, y aśn estoy encontrando bastantes baches :o, mi pregunta es simple, supongo, alguien podria decirme si existe una manera facil de copiar un directorio de un server a otro?, sucede que en un server(server1) tengo los backup de las bases de... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: yeestrada
7 Replies

7. IP Networking

Need to copy file from Linux to DOS.

I have two PCs with Ubuntu 10.4 and DOS 5.0, which are connected with a 9 pins serial cable. I need to copy some files from the Linux box to the DOS box. I tried UUCP but it's too difficult and i didn't found a working client for DOS. Can you help me? Thanks for any reply! (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mghis
10 Replies

8. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Copy a file from Linux

Hi Experts, I want to copy a file from a Linux machine to another Linux machine or a windows machine shared drive. I mean to say.. cp filename //hostname/shareddrive I don't want to mount. Is there any way we can do it. Regards Naree (34 Replies)
34 Replies
FDFORMAT(8)						       System Administration						       FDFORMAT(8)

NAME
fdformat - low-level format a floppy disk SYNOPSIS
fdformat [options] device DESCRIPTION
fdformat does a low-level format on a floppy disk. device is usually one of the following (for floppy devices the major = 2, and the minor is shown for informational purposes only): /dev/fd0d360 (minor = 4) /dev/fd0h1200 (minor = 8) /dev/fd0D360 (minor = 12) /dev/fd0H360 (minor = 12) /dev/fd0D720 (minor = 16) /dev/fd0H720 (minor = 16) /dev/fd0h360 (minor = 20) /dev/fd0h720 (minor = 24) /dev/fd0H1440 (minor = 28) /dev/fd1d360 (minor = 5) /dev/fd1h1200 (minor = 9) /dev/fd1D360 (minor = 13) /dev/fd1H360 (minor = 13) /dev/fd1D720 (minor = 17) /dev/fd1H720 (minor = 17) /dev/fd1h360 (minor = 21) /dev/fd1h720 (minor = 25) /dev/fd1H1440 (minor = 29) The generic floppy devices, /dev/fd0 and /dev/fd1, will fail to work with fdformat when a non-standard format is being used, or if the for- mat has not been autodetected earlier. In this case, use setfdprm(8) to load the disk parameters. OPTIONS
-n, --no-verify Skip the verification that is normally performed after the formatting. -V, --version Output version information and exit. -h, --help Display help and exit. SEE ALSO
fd(4), setfdprm(8), mkfs(8), emkfs(8) AUTHOR
Werner Almesberger (almesber@nessie.cs.id.ethz.ch) AVAILABILITY
The fdformat command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux July 2011 FDFORMAT(8)