Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Daemons
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Daemons Post 34398 by Pennywize on Thursday 20th of February 2003 09:51:10 AM
Old 02-20-2003
Thanks....but i don't know which number .... I have rc.0,rc.2,rc.3.......
Numbers means Run-Levels ?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

DNS daemons

Does anyone know the command to start the DNS Daemon. I looked in the /etc/init.d/inetsvc file and it tells me what the text should look like. When I go to open the corresponding files they are encoded and I can't read them. So is there a command that will start the DNS daemon? If... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deuce
8 Replies

2. Cybersecurity

root owner of daemons?

Hi all, what happens if i have a service running as root? if it is exploited what would happen? can a hacker actually becomes a hacker and screw up my whole box? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xNYx
1 Replies

3. Linux

A doubt on Daemons

Hi there! I'm a bit curious on something about Daemons.... Supose you have two processes say A and B, where B is a daemon. A is totally independent from B. Is there a way for A to find out B's return code? Is there a way for A to find out when B ends? Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: marioh
4 Replies

4. Solaris

SUN SOLARIS boot: start daemons

Hi, I have a problem on a Solaris 9 server! After a restart some daemons don't start and I have to start them manually! I thing that everything is ok in the /sbin/rc3 script! And if I run manually the "/etc/init.d/xxx start" the services start without problem. I didn't find anything in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ctap
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Starting daemons at reboot.

I rebooted my server (solaris 5.8) and I had to manually start the cron and mailx daemons. How do I get these to automatically start at reboot? Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shorty
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

piping and backgroud processes (daemons)

Hello to all, I've a strage problem here: a perl script that parses the output of sar -q 300 0 (one line of performace data each 5 min. infinately) works fine from the CLI. It processes one line output every 5 minutes. If i disconnect it from the terminal (executing it with cron, nohup startporc... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: demwz
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

daemons definition

hi there, can somebody give me a definition for daemons, or example what are they !! and what the use for? i've done some research and all what i found is /etc/... or /usr/bin/... and i haven't quietly got the concept. any ideas !! Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2Linux
5 Replies

8. HP-UX

status of daemons

Hi there all, Hey, is there a way to get the status of all daemons running on a HPUX? in an easy way? Like the same way how to vieuw the status of packages in cmviewcl. Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: draco
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Command to list down all daemons in Solaris

Hi All, Is there any command to list all running daemons in Solaris. I should able to see only running daemons. Regards, SKumar (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nskumar
5 Replies
PRELOAD(8)						  System Administration Utilities						PRELOAD(8)

NAME
preload - Adaptive readahead daemon SYNOPSIS
preload [OPTION]... DESCRIPTION
preload is an adaptive readahead daemon that prefetches files mapped by applications from the disk to reduce application startup time. -h, --help Display command line parameters and their default values, and exit. -v, --version Display version information and exit. -c, --conffile Set configuration file. Empty string means no conf file. (default is /etc/preload.conf) -s, --statefile Set state file to load/save. Empty string means no state. (default is /var/lib/preload/preload.state) -l, --logfile Set log file. Empty string means to log to stderr. (default is /var/log/preload.log) -f, --foreground Run in foreground, do not daemonize. -n, --nice Nice level. (default is 15) -V, --verbose Set the verbosity level. Levels 0 to 10 are recognized. (default is 4) -d, --debug Debug mode: --logfile '' --foreground --verbose 9 SIGNALS
On receipt of a SIGHUP, the daemon will close and reopen its log file, and reread the configuratoin file. On receipt of a SIGUSR1, the daemon dumps the currently loaded configuration into the log file. On receipt of a SIGUSR2, the daemon saves its state into the state file. AUTHOR
Written by Behdad Esfahbod <behdad@gnu.org> REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <http://preload.sf.net/bug> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2005,2006,2007,2008 Behdad Esfahbod. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. preload 0.6.4 May 2012 PRELOAD(8)