Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Timestamp of File permission change Post 34373 by Perderabo on Wednesday 19th of February 2003 02:02:56 AM
Old 02-19-2003
ls -lc
will tell you when any substantive change to the inode occurred and that does include a permission change. But it's not keyed to permissions alone.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

change timestamp of file

Hi, How I change the timestamp of file to some past date Let's say I have this file -rw-r--r-- 1 oracle dba 16587 Apr 11 10:46 create_dev.sql And I want to change the timestamp to Mar 10th 7:45 PM So it should appear like this: -rw-r--r-- 1 oracle dba ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: isingh786
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

move file change timestamp

Hello, Alright solution: I need to move files to a backup folder, changing the datestamp to the current day so that the file stays in the backup folder for the full 30 days before another script removes it. Obviously, any file I move in will preserve the timestamp which is what I *don't* want.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tekster757
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to change the default permission of a file

I am creating a file using the UTL_FILE command of oracle. This creates a file with the oracle user id. The file does not have permission for being read by any other user id. Is there a way that I can change this default permission. I tried using umask in the .login. Setting the umask to 022 works... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: reachsamir
2 Replies

4. AIX

Change a file's timestamp

Hi, I want to modify a file and then change the file's timestamp back to what it was before the modification. It should look as if the file has'nt been modifed. The entire operation needs to be done inside a ksh script. Can anyone suggest how I can trap a file's stamp in a variable within a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shibajighosh
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change File Header Timestamp

Please I am new to Unix and this simple question I am already answered but struggling to find the answer. I have a data file which contains header record which conatins date timestamp. I need to find a way of simply updating the date time stamp to current date timestamp. So if the header... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mudi
5 Replies

6. AIX

Change file permission by anothere user !

Guy's we are in AIX 5.3 We have created two users user1 and user2 and they are under same group Staff Group user1 will create file under /tmp/ and this is the permission of this file -rw-r--r-- 1 user1 staff 1 Jun 13 09:47 file user2 is under same group and when he... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: ITHelper
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change the file permission

Guys, I need help. I need to change the .txt file permission after I have reset the file content to 0. The code that reset the file content to 0 is as follows: #!/bin/sh for i in /root/script/*.txt do echo "0" > $i done However, the file is generated by the apache application,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jasperux
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change unix permission when I don't own the file

Hi, A file is transferred from a Windows server(say username : user1) to Unix server via ftp. In unix, the permission of the file for a user, say user2 will be "-rw-r-----". Since the user1 is the owner of the file, user2 is not able to change the file permission using chmod. Is there... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: merin
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change permission on a file recursively

Hi, this is the structure of the directory /local/home/app/cases under cases directory, below are the sub directories and each directory has files. /local/home/app/cases/1 /local/home/app/cases/2 /local/home/app/cases/3 /local/home/app/cases/4 File types are .txt .sh and so... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lookinginfo
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a script to create file permission change restriction

Hello, I am looking for a UNIX shell script which can help me for access restriction. 1) /home/ram, there are number file with .txt extension, which should be only owned "ram" user. like as below ls -lrt *.txt -rwx------ 1 ram dba 11 Jan 4 2015 PASS1.txt -rwx------ 1 ram dba 10 Jan 4... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr.trilok
8 Replies
STRMODE(3)                                                 BSD Library Functions Manual                                                 STRMODE(3)

NAME
strmode -- convert inode status information into a symbolic string LIBRARY
Utility functions from BSD systems (libbsd, -lbsd) SYNOPSIS
#include <bsd/string.h> void strmode(mode_t mode, char *bp); DESCRIPTION
The strmode() function converts a file mode (the type and permission information associated with an inode, see stat(2)) into a symbolic string which is stored in the location referenced by bp. This stored string is eleven characters in length plus a trailing NUL. The first character is the inode type, and will be one of the following: - regular file b block special c character special d directory l symbolic link p fifo s socket w whiteout ? unknown inode type The next nine characters encode three sets of permissions, in three characters each. The first three characters are the permissions for the owner of the file, the second three for the group the file belongs to, and the third for the ``other'', or default, set of users. Permission checking is done as specifically as possible. If read permission is denied to the owner of a file in the first set of permis- sions, the owner of the file will not be able to read the file. This is true even if the owner is in the file's group and the group permis- sions allow reading or the ``other'' permissions allow reading. If the first character of the three character set is an ``r'', the file is readable for that set of users; if a dash ``-'', it is not read- able. If the second character of the three character set is a ``w'', the file is writable for that set of users; if a dash ``-'', it is not writable. The third character is the first of the following characters that apply: S If the character is part of the owner permissions and the file is not executable or the directory is not searchable by the owner, and the set-user-id bit is set. S If the character is part of the group permissions and the file is not executable or the directory is not searchable by the group, and the set-group-id bit is set. T If the character is part of the other permissions and the file is not executable or the directory is not searchable by others, and the ``sticky'' (S_ISVTX) bit is set. s If the character is part of the owner permissions and the file is executable or the directory searchable by the owner, and the set- user-id bit is set. s If the character is part of the group permissions and the file is executable or the directory searchable by the group, and the set- group-id bit is set. t If the character is part of the other permissions and the file is executable or the directory searchable by others, and the ``sticky'' (S_ISVTX) bit is set. x The file is executable or the directory is searchable. - None of the above apply. The last character is a plus sign ``+'' if any there are any alternate or additional access control methods associated with the inode, other- wise it will be a space. SEE ALSO
chmod(1), find(1), stat(2), getmode(3), setmode(3) HISTORY
The strmode() function first appeared in 4.4BSD. BSD July 28, 1994 BSD