Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: recursive effect!!
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers recursive effect!! Post 34000 by RTM on Wednesday 29th of January 2003 11:16:00 AM
Old 01-29-2003
Only a guess since you didn't post the -e portion (what are you running there?).

It looks like the -p option may have caused the loop that gave the mutiple extensions. See Command Switches

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Effect of Preemptive Kernel

hi there, i am porting kernel 2.2 driver program to kernel 2.6. for some extent i am successfull but some times the system gets hanged. what might be the problem? i am not able to get any help from log messages as nothing is being printed at that moment. hey does this kernel preemptiveness and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriram.ec
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do properties effect script?

Hi, I have noticed that rm -if will perform completely different to rm -fi. Whats the pattern of how I put my options to the script in relation to how it will act. i.e rm -fi treat the remove as interative but rm -if treats it as forced Thansk, Chris. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Chiefos
1 Replies

3. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

The Network Effect - Part 1

2008-10-31T22:46:14+01:00 http://geekandpoke.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341d3df553ef010535ce543e970c-800wi Nicholas Carr (and here) has some problems with Tim O'Reilly's theory about the cloud and the network effect. http://feeds.feedburner.com/~f/GeekAndPoke?i=OFn0M... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Bot
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to give dictionary effect ?

Hello, In google: if we type the text like :- It gives us a question saying :- I want to know how to write a shell script to give this Dictionary effect. example:If we give "lst" then it corrects us saying "list". Can you please help me with a sample code! friends..... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nsharath
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

DST did not take effect on 3 Linux servers

RHEL AS 3 running on x86 hardware. That have been patched for DST but did not change a few weeks back when time changed over. Explanation of the issue from another party. The servers in questions maintain their TOY clock local time instead of UTC. As by defined functionality It prevents NTP... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Steelysteel
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What crontab is in effect after reboot

A basic cron question and I hope I explain it enough. If a person creates a file to use with cron and issues the followin command: crontab I understand this will set the cron entries to whatever is in . However, if we now edit the crontab with: crontab -e and save, how does cron... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: niswonp
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alias has no effect in script

It doesn't have effect in script but it works on the terminal root@server:/opt/kvm/usecases/logs# alias echo='echo -e' root@server:/opt/kvm/usecases/logs# echo "xxxx\n" xxxx root@server:/opt/kvm/usecases/logs# cat xx.sh #!/bin/bash alias echo='echo -n' echo "sssf \n" ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk set $1 to itself, effect on $0

jotne posted an interesting thread an hour or two ago, and ended up with the following: awk '{$1=$1} /^+$/' file I had a question about the effect of $1=$1 assignment, and thought it better to start a new thread, because it's really a different topic. $ cat test.sh set -v echo " abcd" | awk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hanson44
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pseudo-3D effect in text mode...

This is a DEMO only... Someone recently asked about creating a box to make something look nicer on screen. I suggested that with careful colouring a 3D effect could be created... Linux version; this also works on a Macbook Pro but is not as easy to see as the other code below:- ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
0 Replies
folders(1)						      General Commands Manual							folders(1)

NAME
folders - list folders and contents (only available within the message handling system, mh) SYNOPSIS
folders [+folder] [msg] [options] OPTIONS
Lists only the name of folders, with no additional information. This is faster because the folders need not be read. Prints a list of the valid options to this command. Lists the contents of the folder-stack. No +folder argument is allowed with this option. Re-numbers mes- sages in the folders. Messages are re-numbered sequentially, and any gaps in the numbering are removed. The default operation is -nopack, which does not change the numbering in the folder. Discards the top of the folder-stack, after setting the current folder to that value. No +folder argument is allowed with this option. This corresponds to the popd operation in the C-shell; see csh(1). The -push and -pop options are mutually exclusive: the last occurrence of either one overrides any previous occurrence of the other. Pushes the current folder onto the folder-stack, and makes the +folder argument into the current folder. If +folder is not given, the current folder and the top of the folder-stack are exchanged. This corresponds to the pushd operation in the C-shell; see csh(1). The -push switch and the -pop switch are mutually exclusive: the last occurrence of either one overrides any previous occurrence of the other. Lists folders recur- sively. Information on each folder is displayed, followed by information on any sub-folders which it contains. Displays only the total number of messages and folders in your Mail directory. This option does not print any information about individual folders. It can be sup- pressed using the -nototal option. The defaults for folders are: +folder defaults to all msg defaults to none -nofast -noheader -nototal -nopack -norecurse DESCRIPTION
The folders command displays the names of your folders and the number of messages that they each contain. The folders command displays a list of all the folders in your Mail directory. The folders are sorted alphabetically, each on its own line. This is illustrated in the following example: Folder # of messages ( range ); cur msg (other files) V2.3 has 3 messages ( 1- 3). adrian has 20 messages ( 1- 20); cur= 2. brian has 16 messages ( 1- 16). chris has 12 messages ( 1- 12). copylog has 242 messages ( 1- 242); cur= 225. inbox+ has 73 messages ( 1- 127); cur= 127. int has 4 messages ( 1- 4); cur= 2 (others). jack has 17 messages ( 1- 17); cur= 17. TOTAL= 387 messages in 8 folders. The plus sign (+) after inbox indicates that it is the current folder. The information about the int folder includes the term (others). This indicates that the folder int contains files which are not messages. These files may be either sub-folders, or files that do not belong under the MH file naming scheme. The folders command is identical to the effect of using the -all option to the folder command. If you use folders with the +folder argument, it will display all the subfolders within the named folder. as shown in the following exam- ple: % folders +test Folder # of messages ( range ); cur msg (other files) test+ has 18 messages ( 1- 18); (others). test/testone has 1 message ( 1- 1). test/testtwo has no messages. TOTAL= 19 messages in 3 folders. See refile(1) for more details of sub-folders. RESTRICTIONS
MH does not allow you to have more than 100 folders at any level in your Mail directory. PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine your MH directory Folder-Protect: To set protections when creating a new folder Folder-Stack: To determine the folder stack lsproc: Program to list the contents of a folder FILES
The user profile. SEE ALSO
csh(1), folder(1), refile(1), mhpath(1) folders(1)