Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Why do I have to cd into /sbin to get to ifconfig? Post 33815 by norsk hedensk on Monday 20th of January 2003 07:17:00 PM
Old 01-20-2003
usually, only root has /sbin in their PATH. so you can copy the file to /bin, however i would like to preserve the layout of the filesystem, so i would suggest just put /sbin in your PATH. oh yeah, this has probably changed with the update because RedHat decided to change the location, so nothing is wrong with your system.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/usr/sbin/getty

How can i restart the console getty without rebooting the system on HPUX 11.0 Normally it will be stated by ps -ef | grep getty console 0:00 /usr/sbin/getty console console many thanx (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iceman_denmark
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/sbin

I attempted to run a commands from directory /sbin..............it works only (as example) also: ./fdisk But I want to make simple: fdisk Can me help somebody ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pennywize
4 Replies

3. Solaris

WARNING - /usr/sbin/fsck not found - Please help

WARNING - /usr/sbin/fsck not found. Most likely the mount of /usr failed or the /usr filesystem is badly damaged. The system is being halted. Either re-install the system of boot with -b option in an attempt to recover Anyone help me on restoring this without having to reinstall. it is a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
8 Replies

4. Solaris

/sbin/zonename file giving me problems

I'm trying to install the recommended patch cluster on a x86 Solaris 10 box. I get this error: ERROR: /sbin/zonename cannot be found. install_cluster for 10_x86 patch cluster not applied. Exiting. I tried touching the file and it gave a different error of: expected argument.. anyone... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

5. Solaris

different between /sbin/init and /usr/sbin/init

root@test09 # ls -al /sbin/init -r-xr-xr-x 1 root sys 550000 Jun 29 2002 /sbin/init root@test09 # ls -al /usr/sbin/init -r-xr-xr-x 1 root sys 37100 Jun 29 2002 /usr/sbin/init (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: userking
2 Replies

6. HP-UX

syslog: /usr/sbin/envd[1075]:

hi friends, what is the meaning of this error ? syslog: /usr/sbin/envd: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cromohawk
2 Replies

7. Solaris

crontab /usr/sbin/rtc log rc=1

I noticed in my cron log file for my solaris 8 servers the rc=1. I imagine that is return code and something did not process. Does anyone know what that is, is there fix or the implications of leaving it? Thank you > CMD: && /usr/sbin/rtc -c > /dev/null 2>&1 > root 22049 c Fri Dec 19... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: csgonan
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get a Prompt (PS1) Timestamp under /sbin/sh?

Hi, I'm trying to find out if there is a way to get a timestamp on my Solaris root shell prompt using /sbin/sh? I'm trying to archive something in line with the following: 12:34:26 root@server # 12:34:28 root@server # 12:34:28 root@server # ls ... 12:34:30 root@server # I know there... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Solarius
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alternative for /usr/sbin/userdbset on Linux

Hello. I am currently on HPUX and migrating to Linux RHEL 6.4 This program on hpux: /usr/sbin/userdbset is puzzling me on linux. Does anyone know the equivilent program forked or used on linux. This program is mentioned in our user reset script. here is a strings of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: olyanderson
2 Replies

10. Programming

Find Argv[i] in /bin and /sbin

Hello all, I am currently working on a package manager in C and am at the point where I am trying to check to see if the package is already installed. To do this I am taking the package name(s) as an argument using argv. The working code for doing this as follows: #include <stdio.h> #include... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: realpath_issue
5 Replies
EDSC(4) 						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						   EDSC(4)

NAME
edsc -- Ethernet discard network interface SYNOPSIS
device edsc DESCRIPTION
The edsc interface is a software discard mechanism which may be used for performance analysis and software testing. It imitates an Ethernet device, which allows for its use in conjunction with such drivers as if_bridge(4) and vlan(4). As with other network interfaces, an edsc interface must have network addresses assigned for each address family with which it is to be used. These addresses may be set or changed with the SIOCSIFADDR ioctl(2) or ifconfig(8) utility. Each edsc interface is created at runtime using interface cloning. This is most easily done with the ifconfig(8) create command or using the cloned_interfaces variable in rc.conf(5). SEE ALSO
ioctl(2), arp(4), if_bridge(4), inet(4), intro(4), vlan(4), rc.conf(5), arp(8), ifconfig(8) HISTORY
The edsc device was derived from the disc(4) device and first appeared in FreeBSD 6.3. This manpage was adapted from disc(4). CAVEATS
Since outgoing packets are just discarded by edsc, ARP requests stay unreplied. Consequently, an IP packet cannot be sent via edsc until a static arp(4) entry is created for its next hop using arp(8). Initially an edsc interface has a zero link level address. It can be changed with ifconfig(8) lladdr if needed. BSD
March 25, 2007 BSD