Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: syslogging issues
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users syslogging issues Post 33776 by xyyz on Sunday 19th of January 2003 05:01:39 AM
Old 01-19-2003
Quote:
Originally posted by Neo
What program are you using that you are trying to log?
i am using the vanilla syslogd on my FreeBSD 4.7 box.

i'm typing the command as follows:

syslogd -v -a x.x.x.x/11:syslog -a x.x.x.x/24:syslog

the network is set like this:

webramp<----->cisco 806<----->internal network (FreeBSD box)

they are in different networks. i've opened a hole in the 806 (using reflexive access lists) on UDP 514 to allow for the syslog information to pass through.

the webramp has it's own method for logging to a syslog server (just a matter of checking a box and clicking update). the 806, does it by telling it through the IOS, which most of you probably know as it is.

i've run tcpdump and i do see some messages comming from the cisco 806... but very few... and they're not being stored anywhere i can gather.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

CISCO syslogging in linux

Hi, I have a cisco router router and a linux box. I would like to know how to configure both the device so that everything that passes through my router gets logged in the linux box. Also I am very much new in cisco router. Is it ok to post such question in this forum, or i need to post it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RajaRC
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

SU issues

Hi, I have automated a build process that does the following activities. 1. check out code from cvs to a specific directory 2. build the revision checked out with 'ANT' 3. integrate the compiled code with the QA/UAT or new environment (/apps/QA or /apps/UAT or /apps/new directory) I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yoi2hot4ya
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

while loop issues

Hi guys, Been sifting through these forums for awhile, but never had an account or needed to post. Shoutouts to a great forum with heaps of useful info. Now i consider myself a noob when it comes to linux and to bash scripting. I recently started to learn to use Vmware ESX server which uses... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryath
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issues with Expect

Here is a snippet of code that work for me: expect "abc" {send_log "abc found" } \ "def" {send_log "def found" } \ "123" {send_log "123 found} however the following does not and according to the book "Exploring Expect" it should be equivalent: expect { "abc"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: twk
1 Replies

5. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

rm -rf issues

We are using the solaris server and if i am using rm -rf to delete the directories its asking the confirmation for each and every file inside the directory.Is there any way to disable ( should not ask the confirmation) only for a particular session? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshbabuc
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script issues

#!/bin/bash glist=`cat /etc/group | cut -d ":" -f1,4` ulist=`cat /etc/passwd | cut -d ":" -f1,6` for i in $glist do echo "$glist" done for i in $ulist do echo "$ulist" done chkgrp=`cat /etc/group | cut -d ":" -f1` for a in chkgrp do (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mduduzi
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Issues in setting up remote syslogging

Hello, I am using Ubuntu Linux and having problems in setting up remote syslogging. Appreciate your help on this. On the server unix host, I have made following changes. uncommented following lines in /etc/rsyslog.conf $ModLoad imudp $UDPServerRun 514 Now i am trying to run rsyslog in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi.videla
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issues when dividing

Hi, I do have a very simple task to divide 2 variables and display the result. I CANNOT use bc when i try var1=2 var2=4 var3=$(($var1 / $var2)) echo $var3 the output is always 0 What can I change to get a dotted decimal result such as 0.5 ? Thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: svetoslav_sj
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Function Issues

I am converting English letters/words/punctuation in leet speak. My current script works just fine, but when I call the functions it seem to be bypassing my second function altogether. I am new to shell scripting so excuse me if its an easy fix. Also, when using SED for whole word phrases like... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bri09
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sendmail issues

Hi, I'm having some problems with sendmail in Linux. The thing is when I type the following command to send an e-mail: sendmail bartoszk@companydomain.pl< test.txt it looks like it executed but I don't receive the mail. The file test.txt looks like that: To:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bartoszk
3 Replies
SYSLOG(8)                                                         System Logging                                                         SYSLOG(8)

NAME
syslog-ng, syslogd DESCRIPTION
There are different syslog daemon implementations supported as the system's syslog service, currently syslogd, syslog-ng and rsyslogd The first installed daemon activates itself for the syslog service. Starting with openSUSE-11.2, it is rsyslogd, before it was syslog-ng. But this depends on the software selection during the installation. The name of the daemon used as syslog service is specified in the SYSLOG_DAEMON variable in /etc/sysconfig/syslog. The yast2 sysconfig module provides a comfortable way to switch to another installed daemon and restart the service. The /etc/init.d/syslog init script is able to handle all supported daemons. BUGS
Please report bugs at <http://www.suse.de/feedback> AUTHOR
Juergen Weigert <jw@novell.com> Marius Tomaschewski <mt@novell.com> SEE ALSO
sysklogd(8) syslogd(8) syslog.conf(5) syslog-ng(8) syslog-ng.conf(5) rsyslogd(8) rsyslog.conf(5) syslog May 2008 SYSLOG(8)