Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming How to know a new file is in process of creating? It has not been closed. Post 33763 by linkjack on Saturday 18th of January 2003 12:18:40 AM
Old 01-18-2003
How to know a new file is in process of creating? It has not been closed.

I am programming some data loader of oracle with unix c, when I find new data file, then read it to database and delete it. but one issue, if the file is in process of creating, not been closed yet. I will read zero or part of data content, this will cause problem. I want to know whether some unix system function can check this situation, avoid it.

Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file activity (open/closed) file descriptor info using KORN shell scripting

I am trying to find a way to check the current status of a file. Such as some cron job processes are dependent on the completion of others. if a file is currently being accessed / modified or simply open state I will wait until it is done being processed before attempting the next process on that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gary Dunn
3 Replies

2. Programming

creating child process

i want to create 3 child processes from the same parent using folk. I know how to use folk but my child processes did not come from the same parent. Any suggestion what i did wrong ? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Confuse
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating 10 process

can anyone tell me how to Create ten processes and display useful information about them including PID, starting-time in unix using c or c++ language. i tried to create 10 different processes using fork and exec but i couldn't display those process info:PID,STIME. my sample code ......... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kpkant123
2 Replies

4. Programming

Creating 3 process and piping a message

sorry im very new to this but i am supposed to create 3 processes A,B, and C and have a direct link from a to b, b to c, and c to a. here is my code. It does work, however if you look at what I bolded as long as my final read is p it seems to always work, regardless of the bolded section. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: p00ndawg
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match File and Copy File Script (Homework, Closed)

Can you please help on this? I am looking for the shell script which does following:- step 1: It should open the file /u/manish/input/FileIndex.dat and read line by line step 2: Once first line is read (for ex: File1), we have to find a file, that contains this matching... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: teteguru1
4 Replies

6. Programming

read() blocks process until the stream is closed

Hi @all, i really stuck in programming a tool with bidirectional process communication (popen(cmd, "rw") ... something like that ;-)). Here is the code: if(pipe(p_stdin) != 0 || pipe(p_stdout) != 0) { fprintf(stderr, "Aufruf von pipe() schlug fehl.\n"); exit(1); } ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jens.g
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating background process for my shell

I actually posted this problem on a different forum, but figured this would be a more appropriate place to post it. OK so I've created my own shell, but I can't get the background process function to run properly! What I want to do is to run a process in the background, and also print when the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hansel13
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating an automation process in unix .

hi i need shell script in ksh for the automation process in informtica. The automation process is like this . i have a folder in unix . when this folder gets updated (like if a file or files is/are added to the folder) an event in informatica is triggered and after the process is done in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumar8887
2 Replies

9. AIX

Process using/creating files in the filesystem

Hello Team, In a application filesystem, there is a process keep creating the log files. Due to that the filesystem keep getting full. Please let me know how to identify the process which is keep writing in the filesystem. fuser -u <FS> will show only the user who using the filesystem.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowthamakanthan
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating bash script to process a data file based on the menu

Hey, im fairly new to unix and Im trying to make this unix project that would display a menu and do the following. MENU =========================== (p, P) Print users info (a, A) Add new user (s, S) Search user (d, D) Delete user (x,X) Exit Enter your choice: Trying to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ultimaxtrd
3 Replies
dbm(3)							     Library Functions Manual							    dbm(3)

NAME
dbminit, fetch, store, delete, firstkey, nextkey, forder - Database subroutines LIBRARY
DBM Library (libdbm.a) SYNOPSIS
#include <dbm.h> typedef struct { char *dptr; int dsize; } datum; int dbminit( char *file ); datum fetch( datum key ); int store( datum key, datum content ); int delete( datum key ); datum firstkey( void ); datum nextkey( datum key ); long forder( datum key ); PARAMETERS
Specifies the database file. Specifies the key. Specifies a value associated with the key parameter. DESCRIPTION
The dbminit(), fetch(), store(), delete(), firstkey(), nextkey(), and forder() functions maintain key/content pairs in a database. They are obtained with the -ldbm loader option. The dbm library is provided only for backwards compatibility, having been obsoleted by the ndbm functions in libc. See the manual page for ndbm for more information. The dbminit(), fetch(), store(), delete(), firstkey(), nextkey(), and forder() functions handle very large databases (up to a billion blocks) and access a keyed item in one or two file system accesses. Arbitrary binary data, as well as normal ASCII strings, are allowed. The database is stored in two files. One file is a directory containing a bit map and has .dir as its suffix. The second file contains all data and has .pag as its suffix. Before a database can be accessed, it must be opened by the dbminit() function. At the time that dbminit() is called, the file.dir and file.pag files must exist. (An empty database is created by creating zero-length .dir and .pag files.) Once open, the data stored under a key is accessed by the fetch() function and data is placed under a key by the store() function. A key (and its associated contents) is deleted by the delete() function. A linear pass through all keys in a database may be made by use of the firstkey() and nextkey() functions. The firstkey() function returns the first key in the database. With any key, the nextkey() function returns the next key in the database. The following code traverses the database: for (key = firstkey(); key.dptr != NULL; key = nex- tkey(key)) RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, the functions that return an int return 0 (zero). Otherwise, a negative number is returned. The functions that return a datum indicate errors with a null (0) dptr . RELATED INFORMATION
Functions: ndbm(3) delim off dbm(3)