Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: kill parent and child
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers kill parent and child Post 33566 by larry on Thursday 9th of January 2003 02:15:10 PM
Old 01-09-2003
Thanks Perderabo,

What you suggested works great. But I did not fully explain myself. I have a guest account in which guest can use to log on to the server. But some guest do not log off thus the problem. I just want to kill only the select login in.

Here is a print out of who -uH

NAME LINE TIME IDLE PID COMMENTS
guest pts/5 Jan 9 08:11 2:48 10842 (cic2)
guest pts/6 Jan 9 10:44 0:02 11159 (cic4)
guest pts/7 Jan 9 08:56 0:35 11039 (cic65)

As per you suggestion I would use kill -9 -1 10842

But this will kill all users that are login. But I don't want to kill all login. Just guest at pts/5 from machine "cic2". I have looked at the man pages for kill but it does seem to talk about the addtional "-1" after kill -9. Thanks again

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what are parent and child processes all about?

I don't follow what these are... this is what my text says... "When a process is started, a duplicate of that process is created. This new process is called the child and the process that created it is called the parent. The child process then replaces the copy for the code the parent... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xyyz
1 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

How hard can it be? ps child/parent

:( Since I'm fairly new to the scene and don't have much experience in shell programming, I decided to check out the net for a useful script or two. What I'm looking for is a script that would let me enter a PID and then show the process tree associated with it. So it would display the (grand-)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: velde046
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parent/Child Processes

Hello. I have a global function name func1() that I am sourcing in from script A. I call the function from script B. Is there a way to find out which script called func1() dynamically so that the func1() can report it in the event there are errors? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoi2hot4ya
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Child Killing Parent

Hi all, I am writing a script which calls other third party scripts that perform numerous actions. I have no control over these scripts. My problem is, one of these scripts seems to execute and do what it is meant to do, but my calling / parent script always exits at that point. I need to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mark007
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Kill child processes, when parent is "bash"

Consider this simple command line bash -c 'echo $$ ; sleep 10000'This will print the newly created bash PID and sleep for a long time. If I go to another terminal and do something like ps -flax | grep leepI'll see something like 501 92418 91910 0 0:00.00 ttys000 0:00.00 bash -c echo $$... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: teras
5 Replies

6. Programming

To share fd between parent and child

i used function fork(). so i made two process. parent process accepted socket fd and writing to shared memory. then now. how can child process share parent's socket fd? is this possible? Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: andrew.paul
1 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Need help with deleting childīs parent and child subprocess

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I need to make an program that in a loop creates one parent and five children with fork(). The problem i'm trying to solve is how to delete the parent and child of the childīs process. 2. Relevant commands, code, scripts,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: WhiteFace
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

forking a child process and kill its parent to show that child process has init() as its parent

Hi everyone i am very new to linux , working on bash shell. I am trying to solve the given problem 1. Create a process and then create children using fork 2. Check the Status of the application for successful running. 3. Kill all the process(threads) except parent and first child... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vizz_k
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill Parent/ Child processes

I am trying to kill PIDs that are tied to a KSH "load_sqlplus" and I am using the below code LIST_PID=`ps -ef | grep -i "load_sqlplus" | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}'` if ; then echo "Processes killed" "PID : " $LIST_PID kill -9 $LIST_PID else echo "Nothing to Kill" fi... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: venky338
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

System should not kill the child process when parent id is 1

HI i would like to know how i can simulate a shell scripts for my requirement. example Server name child Process id Parent Process id Vpesh 16013 15637 Server name child Process id Parent Process id Vpesh 16014 15637 Server name child... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vpesh
1 Replies
KILL(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   KILL(1)

NAME
kill -- terminate or signal a process SYNOPSIS
kill [-s signal_name] pid ... kill -l [exit_status] kill -signal_name pid ... kill -signal_number pid ... DESCRIPTION
The kill utility sends a signal to the processes specified by the pid operands. Only the super-user may send signals to other users' processes. The options are as follows: -s signal_name A symbolic signal name specifying the signal to be sent instead of the default TERM. -l [exit_status] If no operand is given, list the signal names; otherwise, write the signal name corresponding to exit_status. -signal_name A symbolic signal name specifying the signal to be sent instead of the default TERM. -signal_number A non-negative decimal integer, specifying the signal to be sent instead of the default TERM. The following PIDs have special meanings: -1 If superuser, broadcast the signal to all processes; otherwise broadcast to all processes belonging to the user. Some of the more commonly used signals: 1 HUP (hang up) 2 INT (interrupt) 3 QUIT (quit) 6 ABRT (abort) 9 KILL (non-catchable, non-ignorable kill) 14 ALRM (alarm clock) 15 TERM (software termination signal) Some shells may provide a builtin kill command which is similar or identical to this utility. Consult the builtin(1) manual page. EXIT STATUS
The kill utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
Terminate the processes with PIDs 142 and 157: kill 142 157 Send the hangup signal (SIGHUP) to the process with PID 507: kill -s HUP 507 SEE ALSO
builtin(1), csh(1), killall(1), ps(1), sh(1), kill(2), sigaction(2) STANDARDS
The kill utility is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. HISTORY
A kill command appeared in Version 3 AT&T UNIX. BUGS
A replacement for the command ``kill 0'' for csh(1) users should be provided. BSD
April 28, 1995 BSD