Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: echo $SHELL, $PWD and etc.
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers echo $SHELL, $PWD and etc. Post 33333 by S.Vishwanath on Monday 30th of December 2002 08:01:22 AM
Old 12-30-2002
Here is the small practical example. Just check it.
Just type them on the shell & observe the output.

$a=10 (I'm creating a shell variable named as 'a' with value 10.
$set (This will show the newly created variable & its value i.e. 'a=10').
$env (This will list some set of variables other than 'a=10'.

$export a (Now Execute this statement).
$set (Now this still shows a=10 other along with some more..)
$env (Now this will show a=10 also...).

I mean, 'set' display only local & un-exported variable.
Where as 'env' shows all global & exported variable variables.

When you think of why Global & local variables, the difference
comes when using shell scripts. In a shell script if you create a
a variable, then this will be visible only for the executing script.

But, in a script if you create a variable & if you export, then it will
become a global variable, so that all scripts will be able to see this
variable.

So, using export you are making a locallly visible varialbe a Globally visible variable.

You can also do this in a single shot.

ex:- $export a=10

$ env...shows the output.

Hope this makes some sense.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Echo with ksh shell

Hi All, I'm trying to use the "echo" command in a korn shell script, and I want it to drop the trailing newline. Now I know that with the bash shell, the "-n" flag would solve this issue. Does anyone know how this can be done with the korn shell? Cheers Khoom (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Khoomfire
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell and echo

Probably my first post, very new to shell scripting :) Here is the script i am trying to modify to use function # Script to create simple menus and take action according to that selected # menu item # while : do clear echo "-------------------------------------" echo "... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: replyramdas
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

pwd & cd commands not working in shell script

Here is my script #!/bin/bash pwd cd /var/lib/pgsql Both "pwd" and "cd" are not executed is there any other way i can change the current working directory to /var/lib/pgsql pls help! (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: perk_bud
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

echo ${PWD#${PWD%/*/*}/}

Can anyone explain this in detail ... echo ${PWD#${PWD%/*/*}/} Thanks in Advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sakthi.abdullah
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Confused with echo $SHELL Command....

Hi.. Everyone... Kindly consider following : login as: root Using keyboard-interactive authentication. Password: Last login: Mon Nov 3 19:30:50 2008 from xxxxxxxxxxx Sun Microsystems Inc. SunOS 5.10 Generic January 2005 You have new mail. Sourcing //.profile-EIS..... # # ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reboot
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo $PWD doesn't work

I have entry in the my .profile like below, but still i see $PWD is not defied in my system export PS1=$LOGNAME@`hostname`':'$PWD'>' echo $PWD also gives me nothing, my env list also give no entry for PWD.Can someone help me setting PWD variable. I use /bin/sh (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: yesmani
9 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

implementing mkdir, chdir, mv, pwd inside a shell !

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: need to implement mkdir, chdir, mv, pwd given a shell.cpp directory.cpp and some other files this shell missing these commands, and i need to implement them inside the shell 2. Relevant commands, code, scripts,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: evantheking
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell echo help needed

echo '#!/usr/local/bin/expect' > sree_expt echo "spawn passwd $User" >> sree_expt echo 'expect "New password:"' >> sree_expt echo send "$Password\r" >> sree_expt echo 'expect "Re-enter new password:"' >> sree_expt echo send "$Password\r" >> sree_expt echo "expect eof" >> sree_expt for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreedhargouda
0 Replies

9. AIX

sync samba pwd with aix5.3 pwd

currently, my samba login works just fine. i want my clients to use aix5.3 account to login to samba so they don't have to change samba pwd and aix pwd. i googled, and vi /usr/lib/smb.conf per some of knowledge base, but i could not get to work. aix5.3 and samba 3.0.24.0 thanks in advace..... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjmannonline
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to change shell's pwd

Hi there, i was presented with a challenge that is beyond my current shell knowledge: how can you have a script that executed interactive will change your current working directory? Example (under MacOS): 1. start Terminal and my current working directory is my home folder 2. execute a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gigagigosu
3 Replies
PCP.CONF(5)							File Formats Manual						       PCP.CONF(5)

NAME
pcp.conf - the Performance Co-Pilot configuration and environment file SYNOPSIS
/etc/pcp.conf DESCRIPTION
When using Performance Co-Pilot (PCP) tools and utilities and when calling PCP library functions, a standard set of environment variables are defined in /etc/pcp.conf. These variables are generally used to specify the location of various PCP pieces in the file system and may be loaded into shell scripts by sourcing the /etc/pcp.env(5) shell script and queried by C/C++ programs using the pmGetConfig(3) library function. If a variable is already defined in the environment, the values in pcp.conf do not override those values, i.e. the values in pcp.conf serve as installation defaults only. Both the pcp.env and pcp.conf files are expected to be found in /etc by default. If required, the pcp.conf file may be relocated and PCP_CONF set in the environment to specify the full path to the new location. The pcp.env file can not be relocated (this is the only hard coded path required by PCP). The syntax rules for pcp.conf are as follows : 1. the general syntax is PCP_VARIABLE_NAME=variable value to end of line 2. lines that begin with # and all blank lines are ignored. 3. all variables must be prefixed with PCP_. This is a security issue - variables that do not have this prefix will be silently ignored. 4. there should be no space between the variable name and the literal = and no space between the = and the variable value (unless the value actually starts with a space). This is required because the pcp.conf file may be sourced directly by Makefiles as well as inter- preted by the pcp.env script and the pmGetConfig function. 5. variable values may contain spaces and should not be quoted. The pcp.env script automatically quotes all variable values from the character immediately following the = through to the end of the line. For further details and an explanation of the use of each variable, see the comments in the /etc/pcp.conf file itself. ENVIRONMENT
The PCP_CONF environment variable specifies an alternative path to the pcp.conf file. SEE ALSO
PCPIntro(1), PCPIntro(3), PMAPI(3), pmGetConfig(3) and pcp.env(5). Performance Co-Pilot PCP PCP.CONF(5)